Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Family or uni first? Quite urgent... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ...or urgent to me anyway.

I'm a first year student, and chose my two main subjects, followed by French, my elective(third subject). It has been a lot of work obviously, as any courses would be, but I'm starting to think taking French was a lot more work than perhaps another subject would have been, although I understand a certain standard is required for every course. Anyway the point is...

Over the past 6 months or so, both of my grandparents health began detirorating. Both of them have never really got sick, but I'd never seen them like this and was extremely worried. Just more recently they have improved more, which I'm v glad about but they are more visibly fragile and not fully recovered either. Recently, the family decided to organise a birthday celebration for my Grandad, and he was given the choice of where to go abroad - he chose Paris I now know for sure this was because I'm taking French and he thought I would benefit! Meanwhile I was asked if I'd be able to get the time off during said dates (looking at my calendar, I knew I had no exams til May/June, so agreed), but just one day after it was booked I discover I now have a French test on the day of my Grandad's birthday(when we'd be away). I would have had this information a week sooner if the dpt hadn't messed things up but this is another story...

I tried to negotiate something with my French lecturer but he just said I would have to take another big exam if I missed it, so on and so forth. So now the family is going without me and I felt really upset about it. I've also noticed how much this French workload is going to be over the next few months...the point is there is nothing more important to me than taking my first two subjects into year two, they are my passion and I'm good at them. I worry that not only would French (which I'm dropping after this semester) get in the way of them, it's getting in the way of this family time, which the more I think about it, the more I realise just how important it is to me.

Lastly (sorry about all this!), I'm not sure if I can even change subjects for Sem 2 now, though I have contacted my adviser, and at the same time I do enjoy French, despite the workload and have settled into classes. My family have said they will organise another family holiday for me at the end of the year( which I don't want, shouldn't be getting special treatment!) but I don't know if I'm overthinking things or not. I could be and might well get another chance to go away with them again but I would just hate to regret anything. Any help at all would be much appreciated anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Without any details whatsoever it's hard to make a choice.

But family in most cases.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the context. For all we know your family could not want you to go to Uni, and you are choosing between listening to them and going after something you want to do. In which case, education.

ReputationRep:
    really depends on the situation and what exactly you have to choose between

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keoje)
    Without any details whatsoever it's hard to make a choice.

But family in most cases.

Yeah I apologise, stupidly hit the 'submit' button far too early!

ReputationRep:
    It's for you to decide!But judging by the fact that you are not going to carry on with French, go with your family.=)

ReputationRep:
    I think I would talk to my family and see what they thought first (you probably have already). But it sounds like by them suggesting they will organise another holiday for you at the end of the year, they think you should prioritise your studying over this trip to France. I know deciding between family and education can be tough, because it can be hard to place where your loyalties lye. In some ways you would perhaps be making your Grandad and other family members very proud of you by staying behind and working hard towards your future. No matter what happens, every family wants the best for their daughter, grand-daughter, niece etc.

All I will say is, I listened to my parents for years telling me it wasn't worth going to Uni. All my life I sorely regretted it. Bitterly. And it's not because they are 'wrong' - everyone is entitled to their own opinion - it's simply because we are different individuals who want different things out of life. This year, 12 years after I left school, I have made the decision to go to Uni as a mature student because I know I would regret this for the rest of my life.

Never underestimate the importance of your education; please. I have missed out on so much because I stuck withmy family's opinions instead of listening to my head and heart.

It is possible to have a uni/family life balance and I would urge you to consider that family holiday at the end of the year. In the meantime try and spend spare time with family members with ill health - but remember, when they go they want to know you are going to do well in your life and that you studied and worked hard for a degree!

Hope that heps

(Original post by Kattt_452)

I tried to negotiate something with my French lecturer but he just said I would have to take another big exam if I missed it

So...um......

Your lecturer said if you missed it you would have to do another version of it meaning you could fairly safely miss it and go with your family?

ReputationRep:
    rearrange the holiday :s

ReputationRep:
    jeez it is one exam, probably not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HDS)
    So...um......

Your lecturer said if you missed it you would have to do another version of it meaning you could fairly safely miss it and go with your family?
    No, I didn't make it clear, but he said that only do I have to be there for that test, or I will be marked zero, I could get exemption from the final exam with the help of this test. However, if I miss it, I will most definitely not get exemption and must sit the more difficult exam the following month. If I failed that, I would then have to resit in August...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy90)
    rearrange the holiday :s
    We tried, but it's too late. I've also just been told I can possibly change subjects but I'm not sure what I want to do yet. Think I need to sleep on it...

ReputationRep:
    No, I didn't make it clear, but he said that only do I have to be there for that test, or I will be marked zero, I could get exemption from the final exam with the help of this test. However, if I miss it, I will most definitely not get exemption and must sit the more difficult exam the following month. If I failed that, I would then have to resit in August...
    So basically he said:

a) do test, miss grandpas birthday
    b) do a harder test later, go for grandpas birthday

Go for the exam....imo @ least.

It isn't a for sure that youll b exempted anyways

ReputationRep:
    You should just do the harder exam imo, it'll take a bit more work, but oh well.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.