Turn on thread page Beta

UCLA student looking to study abroad spring semester, 2nd year watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello all:

I am interested in studying for a semester abroad in the U.K. during the Spring of 2011. I was hoping some U.K. students could give me some advice as to where I should attend, given my following interests:

First off, I am looking for an urban experience, somewhat close to London. (UCLA does not offer a program for Spring Semester Travel in London) and I am only given the following options for study in the U.K.

University of Bristol, University of East Anglia, University of Kent, University of Leeds, University of Sussex, University of Warwick, and University of York.

Having said that, I am extremely interested in an active night life, an active arts/music scene, museums, plenty of pubs, and a city that would be considered metropolitan.

What are your opinions regarding the reputations (academically and socially) of the above Universities? Any and all help is much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    University of Bristol is good. Has a large night life, good rep, and is 'urban'. Those that aren't urban are:
    Warwick, York (some could argue).
    Sussex is nice, its near/in Brighton which is by the sea, has many pubs and clubs etc.
    Out of the list, I personally would go for either Bristol or Sussex. I don't have a clue on the others I haven't mentioned to give any advice about them.

I'd be inclined to go for Sussex; from the nightlife point of view, it's just outside Brighton which is positively brimming with clubs, and it's probably the most convenient on the list to get to in the first place. Gatwick airport's not too far from the University on the train, and you've got the choice of some of the other London ones too, slightly further away

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for both of your responses! Just out of curiosity, I know Leeds isn't close to London at all, but I understand that the city itself is massive. Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spencerpratt)
    Thanks so much for both of your responses! Just out of curiosity, I know Leeds isn't close to London at all, but I understand that the city itself is massive. Opinions?
    Yeah; it is a large city, and it's very much a 'student town' so to speak.
    If you go to UCLA though you may find Leeds comparatively small, but it's still large and there's a lot to do.

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for Bristol! fits all those requirements.....It would be the easiest to get to/from Heathrow as well (only have to change trains at London Paddington, and trains are every 15-30mins).

Swansea also seems to attract alot of Americans, I knew lots who had a great time (even dated one of them )

ReputationRep:
    Im from LA just had to say that

But to answer your question i would have to say Bristol. It would be considered very metroplitan (its the setting for the TV show Skins too ...but i hust love that show, not super important lol) generaly and has all the things you mentioned in your post.

Academicaly its actuly a very prestigious school, they hand out a fair share of rejections and the demand to go there is quite high. Im not sure about the university socialy though, but tbh you will be with a buch of university students so a good social life kind of goes hand in hand with that type of crowd lol.

Im not too sure about the others i only really knew about Bristol because i know people who go there or to Bath.

Otherwise Kent is lovely although canterbury is small, its sooo pretty and historical looking, it gets good weather because of how far down it is, very international (or so the website says ha ha), it was voted the best looking university (student wise lol).

However canterbury only has one night club plus the Student union, but it has loads of clubs and resturantes (so it depends on what type you prefer...tbh having one club in the town centre isnt bad though becuse it just means that whenever you go to it it will be all uni students and people you know so always a good time ha ha). The town itself is considerd a students town becuse there are two unis there.

London is only 30 or so mins away (And so is Calias...i think like 40+ mins away but still good) So to get the art scene ect you would prob have to head up to london alot .

hope some of that helped

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.