Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/8473667.stm

If his wife is genuinely killed, it will be the fault of the British Government for failing to protect its citizens. An SAS or SBS group could be transferred to the zone in time to rescue this unfortunate couple... where have Britain's balls gone?

ReputationRep:
    They've been gone for 3 months? :eyeball:

I agree, where have the government's balls gone, these are pirates ffs

ReputationRep:
    "We remain in regular contact with the family and are providing support.

We call for the safe and swift release of Paul and Rachel."

Do they actually assume that these pirates will turn round and say oh ok then, sorry about that yes we'll let them go. Its disgusting. Sure, dont negociate with them, I agree with that. But ffs do something, these situations should be resolved with a swift, brutal efficiency.

ReputationRep:
    Are they actually doing anything at all to help them? Or just politely requesting that the Somalians let them go out of the goodness of their black hearts?

ReputationRep:
    The SAS rescued Norman Kember, I'm pretty sure they can rescue hostages from a few Africans with AKMs, and they're going to die anyway, so...

ReputationRep:
    Need some of this:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7996087.stm

ReputationRep:
    Its a catch 22 scenario really. If they do nothing and they die, the govt. is blamed. If they do something and they or a soldier dies its the govt. fault and all hell breaks loose. Really, all they can hope is they do nothing and they are miraculously released.

The government need balls, but it also needs a general consensus that it wont be needlessly attacked for trying to save them and failing. I can just imagine cameron's next speech "With us, the SAS will be propely trained and we'll get them IronMan suits to rescue kidnapped sailors!". The political fallout of such a mission would be catastrophic for labour if it was to fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoHands)
    Its a catch 22 scenario really. If they do nothing and they die, the govt. is blamed. If they do something and they or a soldier dies its the govt. fault and all hell breaks loose. Really, all they can hope is they do nothing and they are miraculously released.

The government need balls, but it also needs a general consensus that it wont be needlessly attacked for trying to save them and failing. I can just imagine cameron's next speech "With us, the SAS will be propely trained and we'll get them IronMan suits to rescue kidnapped sailors!". The political fallout of such a mission would be catastrophic for labour if it was to fail.
    But if it succeeds it'd be an absolutely gigantic propaganda coup for Labour. If they do nothing and they get killed, Labour really will take flak for it, and for good reason... but we all know they're going to die otherwise and even if the op fails, at least they did the right thing :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    The SAS rescued Norman Kember, I'm pretty sure they can rescue hostages from a few Africans with AKMs, and they're going to die anyway, so...
    So risk SAS lives because some stupid nobodies got themselves into a dangerous situation?

ReputationRep:
    Eh?

Does the British Government even know where they are? I suspect intelligence is a little think on the ground in pirate-ridden Somalia.

The SAS are just men too, you can't solve every situation by just 'sending in the SAS.'

ReputationRep:
    But if it succeeds it'd be an absolutely gigantic propaganda coup for Labour. If they do nothing and they get killed, Labour really will take flak for it, and for good reason... but we all know they're going to die otherwise and even if the op fails, at least they did the right thing :/

This is exactly what I mean. (Long time no see btw bag...)

This kind of consensus has to exist for labour to even bother. Thing is I dont really think either the sun, the daily mail, the conservatives or the lib dems will pass over this oportunity to lambast the labour party (that beign said, im sure it would be the same if either or the other parties was in power).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    So risk SAS lives because some stupid nobodies got themselves into a dangerous situation?

What is the SAS there for otherwise? They are paid to risk their lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    Eh?

Does the British Government even know where they are? I suspect intelligence is a little think on the ground in pirate-ridden Somalia.

The SAS are just men too, you can't solve every situation by just 'sending in the SAS.'
    Sure you can

ReputationRep:
    erm their job is to protect british citizens, regardless or whether they got themselves in that situation

ReputationRep:
    What is the SAS there for otherwise? They are paid to risk their lives.
    Not for a retired couple who decide to sail through waters renowned for piracy. They should've taken out insurance. Harsh, but it has to be that way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom//)
    erm their job is to protect british citizens, regardless or whether they got themselves in that situation
    Don't be silly.

ReputationRep:
    Not for a retired couple who decide to sail through waters renowned for piracy. They should've taken out insurance. Harsh, but it has to be that way.

Insurance will most likely not cover kidnapping by somalian pirates. Also, taking out insurance would jsut encourage further piracy.

Surely the hostages rescued at the iranian embassy should have taken out insurance as well?

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly.
    okay :rofl2:

ReputationRep:
    This is exactly what I mean. (Long time no see btw bag...)

This kind of consensus has to exist for labour to even bother. Thing is I dont really think either the sun, the daily mail, the conservatives or the lib dems will pass over this oportunity to lambast the labour party (that beign said, im sure it would be the same if either or the other parties was in power).
    (Long time no see indeed!)

I dunno actually. I think that the Sun would rather run headlines about SAS HEROISM or something similar than lambast the Government, but I think you may have a point... I guess that's a downfall of democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Long time no see indeed!)

I dunno actually. I think that the Sun would rather run headlines about SAS HEROISM or something similar than lambast the Government, but I think you may have a point... I guess that's a downfall of democracy.

Indeed. Its quite sad, but thats the way it is.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.