Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    (Long time no see indeed!)

I dunno actually. I think that the Sun would rather run headlines about SAS HEROISM or something similar than lambast the Government, but I think you may have a point... I guess that's a downfall of democracy.
    no, they have already declared conservatives as winners of next election, theyd rather see labour get torn apart

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoHands)
    Surely the hostages rescued at the iranian embassy should have taken out insurance as well?
    That was in the UK though so you know...but even so they did a brilliant job then. :yes:

There's no easy way of solving piracy but if the British government sent out a strong signal like sending in the SAS maybe they'd think twice about kidnapping British citizens? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    How much money have we spent on trident? Let's use that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    That was in the UK though so you know...but even so they did a brilliant job then. :yes:

There's no easy way of solving piracy but if the British government sent out a strong signal like sending in the SAS maybe they'd think twice about kidnapping British citizens? :dontknow:

Yes I know :p: I was countering a retarded argument with one of equal intellectual value

ReputationRep:
    Yo - sailors - DON'T GO NEAR SOMALIA.

I thought that was pretty clear.

Starve the pirates of prizes, they'll go back to killing each other, we can then bomb the hell our of their bases.

Shooting first and asking questions later doesn't get you anywhere, and it usually ends up with dead hostages. Sending in the SAS/SBS/SFSG is not the best idea in the world right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meowmeowmutiny)
    How much money have we spent on trident? Let's use that!

ReputationRep:
    After a couple of weeks of denial by the government and senior ranks in the MOD, it turned out a Royal Fleet Auxillary ship (Wave Knight,) had been within 40 feet of the Chandlers yacht during the kidnapping, with 20+ FPGRM Royal Marines on board, (trained for exactly these type of scenarios,) and had to just watch the pirate boat pull up to the Chandlers yacht, board it, and take them captive.

In days of old, we would have blown the pirate ship out the water, problem solved.

Rules of engagement however prevented them from opening fire on the pirates because there was no immediate threat to life, so the best they could do was fire a couple of warning shots at their vessel as it approached the yacht.

Every EU vessel involved in counter-piracy operations nowadays has a "Human Rights" lawyer on board (i kid you not,) who advises them whether to act, and the international law is a fuzzy area.
    The reason they are so reluctant about even arresting pirates (even when they have been found with weapons/hostages on board boats,) is because as soon as they set foot on British soil to stand trial (we won't return pirates to Somalia because they'll potentially be executed,), they will be here for good, because neither will we deport them back to Somalia.

Some negotiations are going on for other African countries (Kenya is one I think?!) to put them on trial there, and I think France does this, but The Royal Navy, that used to smash pirates all over the globe, is now dancing to their tune thanks to human rights laws and a lack of spine by the government.

Summarised from these articles, plus several BBC reports where the "official version of events" from the MOD changed several times:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...an-rights.html
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle3736239.ece
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122705719422839565.html

However, Somalia is in a **** situation at the moment with the whole Islamist insurgency (part of a GLOBAL threat,) so slotting pirates isn't going to sort the root of the problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    Every boat in the counter-piracy operations nowadays has a "Human Rights" lawyer (i kid you not,) who advises them whether to act.
    The reason they are so reluctant about arresting pirates (even when they have been found with weapons/hostages on board boats,) is because as soon as they set foot on British soil to stand trial (we won't return pirates to Somalia because they'll potentially be executed,), they will be here for good, because neither will we deport them back to Somalia.
    That's pretty retarded. (It's why you sniper them instead - problem solved )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    That's pretty retarded. (It's why you sniper them instead - problem solved )
    I think it says something really terrible about me that I've started thinking about everything in terms of south park episodes, but there is one where Cartman goes to Somalia to become a pirate... and yeah, snipping works out pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaceyThe)
    After a couple of weeks of denial by the government and senior ranks in the MOD, it turned out a Royal Fleet Auxillary ship (Wave Knight,) had been within 40 feet of the Chandlers yacht during the kidnapping, with 20+ FPGRM Royal Marines on board, (trained for exactly these type of scenarios,) and had to just watch the pirate boat pull up to the Chandlers yacht, board it, and take them captive.

In days of old, we would have blown the pirate ship out the water, problem solved.

Rules of engagement however prevented them from opening fire on the pirates because there was no immediate threat to life, so the best they could do was fire a couple of warning shots at their vessel as it approached the yacht.

Every boat in the counter-piracy operations nowadays has a "Human Rights" lawyer (i kid you not,) who advises them whether to act.
    The reason they are so reluctant about arresting pirates (even when they have been found with weapons/hostages on board boats,) is because as soon as they set foot on British soil to stand trial (we won't return pirates to Somalia because they'll potentially be executed,), they will be here for good, because neither will we deport them back to Somalia.

Some negotiations are going on for other African countries (Kenya is one I think?!) to put them on trial there, and I think France does this, but The Royal Navy, that used to smash pirates all over the globe, is now dancing to their tune thanks to human rights laws and a lack of spine by the government.

However, Somalia is in a **** situation at the moment with the whole Islamist insurgency (part of a GLOBAL threat,) so slotting pirates isn't going to sort the root of the problem.
    Finally a sensible response.

Although I disagree with some points, piracy is still a capital offence and Im pretty sure that in the taking of a British craft live fire would be an acceptable option.

Without wanting to reveal too much about what I know, some ships carry armaments with them, and a contingent of marines, divers, and munitions experts. While they are essentially civilian ships, owned by a listed company, they are armed to the back teeth and anything getting within a considerable distance is treated with caution. Human rights would not even come into the minds of the captains if the ship or cargo was in any danger.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    I think it says something really terrible about me that I've started thinking about everything in terms of south park episodes, but there is one where Cartman goes to Somalia to become a pirate... and yeah, snipping works out pretty good.
    That's what I thought of when I read the posts about Britain needing balls - the French in that South Park :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    cannot believe governments literally want to do nothing regarding this unfortunate situation :[

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone ever play splinter cell?

That team of elite super spy soldiers would come in handy right about now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    cannot believe governments literally want to do nothing regarding this unfortunate situation :[
    But what can it do?

ReputationRep:
    send In The Sas

ReputationRep:
    The SAS enjoy their jobs (to an extent), they aren't in the SAS unwillingly. A boat of Somali pirates armed with AK47s or similar isn't going to be too hard of a job compared to some the SAS have successfully completed.

They are very capable of disabling all the pirates while rescuing the hostages, its what they do.

If the hostages did die, then there isn't a lot of blame to be thrown around as long as something was done to try and save them, especially as they are going to die very shortly anyway.

ReputationRep:
    for all we know the SAS is on that yacht right now, but we just don't hear about it and ends up with the hostage being released all of a sudden!!

ReputationRep:
    The SAS kick ass quite literally!

ReputationRep:
    Do the government even know where these people are? It's not like Iraq / Afghanistan where the armed forces and MI6 are already familiar and have plenty of people on the ground making it a lot easier to find these hostages. Instead they would have to launch a new intelligence operation (or dramatically upscale an existing one there) which would end up being very costly as the pirates will be trying their hardest to hide them, and have already taken measures such as splitting them up (i.e. if a rescue attempt on one begins, the other one gets killed). It's also likely they're on land rather than sea so they could be deep within hostile territory.

They're also going to be diverting resources (both in intelligence and military) away from places where they're arguably more important. These sailors (presumably) knowingly entered dodgy waters, so the government basically has a choice between bailing them out or compromising operations elsewhere.

Plus as has already been pointed out, there are rules of engagement to be considered as the forces need to have some kind of morality...

If it were as simple as "Send in the SAS" I think they'd already have done so?

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.