Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know this is slightly old news, but meh. Basically I was reading about the late Mark Speight and saw this fact about his funeral:

"The coffin was carried out of St Michael and All Angels' Church, Tettenhall, to the theme tune of SMart, the children's arts show he presented."

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/w...ds/7370490.stm

Now correct me if I'm wrong, even though that piece of music is related to him in a sense, don't you think that it is quite possibly the worst type of music to be playing at a funeral? Happy, bouncy swing music!?

For those of you who don't know the theme tune to SMart, here it is...

ReputationRep:
    I guess they wanted him to be remembered as the man on Smart and the way he was then. That said, it is odd!

ReputationRep:
    The song played is suposed to represent the person so I think its a perfect goodbye.

My Dad requested he has 'always look on the bright side of life'- Life of Brian. (Monty Python)

ReputationRep:
    Not my idea of a funeral song :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    meh, he probably requested it
    i want everyone to come in fancy dress to my funeral, the winner gets to keep my ashes :lol:

EDIT: obv he requested it prior to his death...

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a problem. Funerals should be celebrating someone's life, and the time you had with them, they needn't be horrible affairs where people are afraid to smile. My family always have plenty of alcohol and cake at funerals and I think that's the best way of doing it.

ReputationRep:
    I like it, as sabertooth pointed out, its a celebration of his life, and also professional achievements as a highly popular tv presenter. You can go to a hundred funerals that are all exactly the same, its nice to inject some personality.

eugh. Not my idea of a funeral song either.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather have something cheerful really, as a reminder of the better times in life. Funerals should a celebration of the life the person lived anyway, not a grim affair!
    A friend once said to me she wanted to be cremated, and to have Ash's "Burn Baby Burn" played at her funeral..

ReputationRep:
    It seems strange, especially considering the sad circumstances of his death. What a mental image, though. Hah.

He was brilliant with Kristen or whateverhernamewas on SMart.

ReputationRep:
    I would genuinely hate it if my funeral was a sad affair.

I spend my life being a fun person to be around and the last they 'see' of me I'm making them listen to 'respectful' and dull songs?

Hell naw, I want whatever my favourite song at the time is o be played, as well as 'Always Look on the Bright Side of Life' because despite how cliché it might be, those around me know that LoB is pretty much my favourite comedy film ever and it's how I live my life.

Other people may want a boring funeral but I don't see the point.

ReputationRep:
    Not matter how close I was to the person, I wouldn't be able to help but laugh if that person had tunes like that Smart played during their funeral. It's just too corny for my liking.

ReputationRep:
    How can you carry a coffin to that! lol

ReputationRep:
    It is weird, but how people knew him best I suppose. What I disliked is that they've changed the song! Granted it's probably 10 years since I watched Smart (and how BIG was Kirsten's gob by the way???) but still, it's changed.

Wonder if when Neil Buchanan dies, they'll play the art attack theme. "This is an art attack. This is an art attack. This is, Art Attack!"

I've been to that church! :ahee:

My second primary school is 'attached' to it. :yep:

(Original post by Meow7)
    Wonder if when Neil Buchanan dies, they'll play the art attack theme. "This is an art attack. This is an art attack. This is, Art Attack!"
    Perhaps he'll die of... an Art Attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meow7)
    I hope he doesn't die of cardiac arrest, the irony would be too much to bear!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by screenager2004)
    I hope he doesn't die of cardiac arrest, the irony would be too much to bear!
    I genuinley lol'ed then, I'm still laughing now. I would really howl laughing, I know it's awful but it would be pretty funny

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what they played it on. I'd like to hear a little old lady try to rattle through it on an organ.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meow7)
    It is weird, but how people knew him best I suppose. What I disliked is that they've changed the song! Granted it's probably 10 years since I watched Smart (and how BIG was Kirsten's gob by the way???) but still, it's changed.

Yes but it would be horrifically ironic if he died of a myocardial infarction, which I hope he doesn't of course.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.