Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    They thought he had a bomb strapped to his head!

A US Airways flight was diverted to Philadelphia after a young Jewish man's prayer items triggered a bomb scare, Philadelphia police said.

The incident arose when the man used a phylactery, a small black box Orthodox Jews strap to their head as part of their rituals, police said.

The man was not arrested and the plane landed without incident.

US airports are on high alert after a Nigerian man was held over an alleged bomb plot on a plane last month.

His device allegedly malfunctioned and he was quickly overpowered by passengers and crew on the flight from Amsterdam to Detroit.

The latest incident took place on a 50-seat regional jet originally bound for Louisville, Kentucky from New York's LaGuardia airport. It landed in Philadelphia at about 0900 local time (1400 GMT).

Phylacteries - called tefillin in Hebrew - are two small boxes, usually made of black leather, with straps attached to them.

Observant Jewish men are required to place one box on their head and tie the other one on their arm as part of their morning prayers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8472937.stm

ReputationRep:
    Meh, safety first. No one was hurt and that's all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    They want us living in fear

ReputationRep:
    Lol.

ReputationRep:
    pff jews...

ReputationRep:
    This is unbelieveable...
    Its a perfectly normal practice for orthodox jews to carry these

(Original post by Fusion)
    They want us living in fear
    This.

People seem so jittery these days.

ReputationRep:
    Bahaha.

They should have known from his curls that he meant no harm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    This.

People seem so jittery these days.
    Especially if they are ignorant...

(Original post by bigmo7)
    Especially if they are ignorant...
    :hmmm: Yes.

ReputationRep:
    :hmmm: Yes.
    Whats with that smily

ReputationRep:
    His device allegedly malfunctioned.
    Lucky! :eek:

And er if this were any other religion surely people would be saying how such religious items should not be allowed when it comes to safety of others etc :blah:

ReputationRep:
    Good job it wasn't a German airline.

ReputationRep:
    "Discretion" and "common sense" are two phrases not in the vocabulary of security these days....
    Better to be safe than sorry though, perhaps? Think of all that paperwork...

Whats with that smily
    I thought you were referring to me for a second. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I thought you were referring to me for a second. :p:
    Lol I meant the Americans...

Lol I meant the Americans...
    I thought so (eventually ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Lucky! :eek:

And er if this were any other religion surely people would be saying how such religious items should not be allowed when it comes to safety of others etc :blah:
    I say it for this religion too out of safety as someone can pretend to be jewish so it shouldnt be one rule for one and a different for another.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shark67)
    They thought he had a bomb strapped to his head!

A US Airways flight was diverted to Philadelphia after a young Jewish man's prayer items triggered a bomb scare, Philadelphia police said.

The incident arose when the man used a phylactery, a small black box Orthodox Jews strap to their head as part of their rituals, police said.

The man was not arrested and the plane landed without incident.

US airports are on high alert after a Nigerian man was held over an alleged bomb plot on a plane last month.

His device allegedly malfunctioned and he was quickly overpowered by passengers and crew on the flight from Amsterdam to Detroit.

The latest incident took place on a 50-seat regional jet originally bound for Louisville, Kentucky from New York's LaGuardia airport. It landed in Philadelphia at about 0900 local time (1400 GMT).

Phylacteries - called tefillin in Hebrew - are two small boxes, usually made of black leather, with straps attached to them.

Observant Jewish men are required to place one box on their head and tie the other one on their arm as part of their morning prayers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8472937.stm
    why can't he wait till the plane land to pray...see what he has done now.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.