Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

Male, 20, around 5'11-6'0, and about 57/58kg. About a year ago I had an operation that resulted in the weight loss, and it's taken me this long to both get into a healthy state to put it back on and, well, to get the motivation. Though I guess the reasons behind the loss are largely irrelevant.

Anyway, I've done a fair bit of reading myself, and have looked at Starting Strength, WS4SB, Strong Lifts etc, and I'm at a loss as to what to pick. Does it matter? If it'll change it at all, my goal is for your typical Men's Health model type body.

I assume that as an underweight newbie, I'll experience some pretty severe DOMS as I get used to the lifts. Should I just work through the pain, or is DOMS something you have to get over before you can lift again? Yes, I know DOMS has little if nothing to do with how hard you work, etc.

Diet wise, I live off a meal made by my mother (nearly always healthy, with meat, veg etc), and copious amounts of whole milk, oats and peanut butter. I assume that even if I was only getting the recommended 2500kc a day, I'd still gain weight together with weight training due to my current weight?

One issue with my diet that I forsee is that due to the health problems and the operation I mentioned, I can't handle sugar too well. Is this gunna be a problem? Essentially, I suffer from this now: Gastric Dumping Syndrome

So, advice? Which routine (if it matters), how to deal with DOMS, and diet tips..

Appreciate it.

Its simple really mate, firstly, don't overcomplicate things

- if you're just starting out, then starting strength will probably be best. However, so long as you have a compound based routine, you'll be fine.

- doms, yeh you'll get them for a while. They shouldn't really interfere with your weights as you wont be, say, benching two days in a row - you'll have a few days break, by which time - should have passed. If its still around, then don't be a pussy - work through it

diet wise - you say you drink copious amounts of while milk, oats and peanuts butter. you probably don't, all newbies think they eat a lot, and I have yet to see one who actually does eat a lot. It depends on you if you'll gain off 2.5k calories, some people do, some people don't. I for one wont. Work out your BMR, and add a few hundred/ thousand calories on top of that.

You've got it right at the moment though, stick to the oats, milk and peanut butter, and a compound based routine and the gains will come

I can't really see sugar being a problem.

You probably havn't got any replies yet because these questions pop up daily, if you had done a search all info would be around already. I just posted because im bored

good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.