Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am Scottish but am doing my A-levels in Kuwait. I have some friends in Scotland but it is highly unlikely that I will end up at the same University as them. I don't tend to have a problem with social surroundings and can make friends when i have to(experience with living in a new country) but i was wondering of the unis im applying to(Stirling, Napier, Dundee, Strathclyde), which has the best standard of social like in your opinion. I mean like accomodation wise, how well do the student integrate, and in your experience how easy have you made good friends there. As i will be coming back home to university next year with no family in the country except my gran, although i do like the freedom/independance, I know that I would feel more comfortable in a good social environment.anyways enough rambling.what's your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    Bristol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nighthawk)
    I am Scottish but am doing my A-levels in Kuwait. I have some friends in Scotland but it is highly unlikely that I will end up at the same University as them. I don't tend to have a problem with social surroundings and can make friends when i have to(experience with living in a new country) but i was wondering of the unis im applying to(Stirling, Napier, Dundee, Strathclyde), which has the best standard of social like in your opinion. I mean like accomodation wise, how well do the student integrate, and in your experience how easy have you made good friends there. As i will be coming back home to university next year with no family in the country except my gran, although i do like the freedom/independance, I know that I would feel more comfortable in a good social environment.anyways enough rambling.what's your thoughts?
    I would say that in any uni in Glasgow you'll make new friends, as for the social life, its out with uni make your own plans! I go to Glasgow and its got 2 good unions so your bound to meet pals. For accomodation im not sure as i stay at home :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nighthawk)
    Strathclyde would have the more traditional social life, since it is based in the middle of Glasgow. Napier is in Edinburgh, but a little out of the city centre. All university surroundings have some sort of social life, a whole economy builds up around students. It really depends on what you want and what you are looking for.

ReputationRep:
    Stirling has fairly poor night life (two clubs in town, but loads of pubs) and the student union is fairly expensive and small, but I've never met a better bunch of people (for the most part). Uni is what you make of it - if you want to make friends then you can make friends, no effort, no friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samthevet123)
    Bristol
    My geography isnt briliant but how long has Bristol been in Scotland?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice so far. So Glasgow is the place to be then. Strathclyde is mayybe going to be my first choice but i'm also looking at Dundee as i am from Perth so know Tayside a bit more. I'm guessing its jst a case of putting yourself out there and all unis have a decent social life. What would u say is the biggest drinking uni? not saying thats why im going but i do see that playing out a big part in my weekly schedule:p:

ReputationRep:
    They will all have heavy-drinking people, like they will all have people who don't drink at all.

ReputationRep:
    It just depends on how often the rest of your hall mates want to go out.

ReputationRep:
    Edge Hill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irish_4_life)
    My geography isnt briliant but how long has Bristol been in Scotland?
    Bristol is in South West of England :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miz-Cletty)
    Bristol is in South West of England :yep:
    I think she knows that already.

ReputationRep:
    Join a drinking club (aka sports club) and you'll meet loads of heavy drinking folk. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm biased but Derby is class

ReputationRep:
    Sigh. Some people need to learn to read a thread.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard Newcastle has a great night life.

Only joking, Out the ones you have picked then Strathclyde Glasgow is always going to be your best bet for a good night out. But Napiers halls are bang in the centre of town aswell and Edinburgh is up there with a good night aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheOneWho)
    I think she knows that already.
    Ah ive jus caught onto tht now....lol

ReputationRep:
    if this were real life people would just laugh and move on, dont know what it is about anonymous chat rooms but it turns people into *****

ReputationRep:
    I think Dundee is, as iveh eard it crawls with Uni students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samthevet123)
    if this were real life people would just laugh and move on, dont know what it is about anonymous chat rooms but it turns people into *****
    wowww, touchy?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.