Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    okay so im a first year economics student and tbh ive never really liked the uni im currently at (also its not very good).. and ive always thought i could do better.. so i decided to reapply through ucas, and now i have an unconditional offer from manchester uni to study economics in september 2010.

but if i decide to go to manc, i would have wasted this whole year, and i'll be 20 when i start in sept. does that seem too old to be starting uni..?? and also i would starting all over again! also time and cost of travel would be much greater if i decide to go manchester

on the over hand, i am also aware my educations/job prospects are much better by going to man uni.. and maybe i could gain some extra money for next year..

im in two minds as to what to do.. any thoughts?? what would yous do?

thanks. appreciate any feedback

ReputationRep:
    Being 20 is fine. If you want to go to Manchester, go to Manchester.

A year makes no difference in reality in the long term.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No, it's not too old. My mum has applied to uni and she's in her 40s.

It's only a year, and many people there will have taken a gap year so will be 19/20 as well.

If you don't like your current uni, and you really want to go to Manchester, then go.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Marvin211] does that seem too old to be starting uni..?? /QUOTE]

Hahahah - 'too old' are you joking? You're only 20!!! :hahaha:

Listen, i'm 29 during the first year of my degree and i'm not happy with part of it (the italian side, im doing joint honours business and italian), so ive decided through much thought to start again Sept 2010 and do single honours business. I wouldn't say i've wasted the year doing my current degree because i've learnt something, i continue to still learn something new (yes, im still going to do my 2nd semester because im not contractually back at work till June and dont want to have sod all to do for 4 months) and it's BRILLIANT practice for when i start again! Ok, it's £3k EXTRA in tution fees but bloody ell, it will take me about 3,0000 years to pay the friggin fees anyway so an extra £3k is not going to make a mammoth difference is it!!! I'd rather pay an extra £3k knowing I can still learn something and get more practice for when i start again - happy days!

So dont worry about supposedly wasting your year, that's ridiculous - it's all experience and a learning curve
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Emma29Liverpool)

So dont worry about supposedly wasting your year, that's ridiculous - it's all experience and a learning curve
    ^^ Good advice.

No year of your life is ever wasted.

ReputationRep:
    i suppose an extra year will make no significant difference.. and as you say its all a learning curve. cheers guys!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.