Turn on thread page Beta

First year pickle *advice needed* watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To cut a very long story short, it seems like I'm only going to end up with 80 credits at the end of my first year. What would be my options? retaking my first year, perhaps? I doubt my department will allow me to move up a year.

If anyone has been in a similar situation to myself, I'd love to hear from you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benji84)
    To cut a very long story short, it seems like I'm only going to end up with 80 credits at the end of my first year. What would be my options? retaking my first year, perhaps? I doubt my department will allow me to move up a year.

If anyone has been in a similar situation to myself, I'd love to hear from you.
    how are you only going to end up with 80 credits?

ReputationRep:
    Is that 80 out of 120?

That's what I got in my first year, I resat an essay and a stats coursework over the summer, and got the rest of my 40 credits so I was allowed to go into my second year.

However, I didn't hand in some of my courseworks and was allowed to resit them anyway, I know on my course they have now changed it, and you must attempt every piece of work to be allowed a resit. So check your course outlines if you haven't done the work.

Also if you're struggling, it's best emailing or going to see your head of year, or tutor, or whatever, and sort it out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    how are you only going to end up with 80 credits?
    I changed my degree about four weeks in. Two modules that I kept from my former degree programme I didn't end up doing. The university couldn't change/cancel the two modules at the time, so I was literally stuck with two modules that I had no interest in doing.

Squeak, I assume it is either out of 110 or 120.

ReputationRep:
    I changed my degree about four weeks in. Two modules that I kept from my former degree programme I didn't end up doing. The university couldn't change/cancel the two modules at the time, so I was literally stuck with two modules that I had no interest in doing.

Squeak, I assume it is either out of 110 or 120.
    well I doubt you'll be bale to progress with 80 credits. But if you pick up some modules they may let you sit them with the resitters in august. best thing to do is speak to your personal tutor because all universities are different and have different policies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    well I doubt you'll be bale to progress with 80 credits. But if you pick up some modules they may let you sit them with the resitters in august. best thing to do is speak to your personal tutor because all universities are different and have different policies
    I shall speak to my personal tutor. I don't want to drop out nor be booted out.

By the way, is it rare to retake the first year? At least I would be starting from scratch.

ReputationRep:
    sick man, the brothers been scoping out the boo-taay in his first year at uni when he should have been doing his work. stud.

ReputationRep:
    I had pickle in my sandwich the other day. Tasty :yes:

I think you should definitely have pickle in your first year.

I shall speak to my personal tutor. I don't want to drop out nor be booted out.

By the way, is it rare to retake the first year? At least I would be starting from scratch.
    No, it's not rare to re-take a year, far from it really. I know that at my uni, they let you progress with 4 out of 6 modules (80 out of 120 credits) and make up 20 credits per semester in 2nd year. That's the Scottish system though, where the first two years tend to be quite flexible... I don't know how it works in England. Surely you;ve at least got resits to come though? Usually it's possible to get the minimum "pass" grade with those...

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.