Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey guys

I’m a university student and I’ve been set an essay to talk about examples of homeostasis, after discussing this with a couple of other students its seems that everyone is taking the safe route e.g talking about -

body temp
    calcium concentration
    PH
    osmoregulation

me being me and always wanting to be different i was wondering if i can get some input on some interesting homeostasis examples....

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    we did something in gcse with potatoes that was abotu that i think osmosis coursework maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me are you missing a massive one Blood glucose concentration!

ReputationRep:
    you could talk about contractile vacuoles as a 'different' example of osmoregulation. Also, metabolic homeostasis, i.e. the body adjusting its metabolic 'rate' according to how much food is being eaten (energy available) and excercise done. They'll be plenty of other examples a quick internet search will yield i guess.

ReputationRep:
    Lactate in Muscles:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...6170608AADPayA

if you want to be daring, what about trying to argue that the whole planet and its atmosphere acts to maintain a stable condition. Half way down this page @ "Biosphere":
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeostasis

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    also, if you could somehow incorporate the hygroscopic mechanism of the thorny devil lizard that would be badass so amazing lol. But that's going off on a bit of a tangent

ReputationRep:
    thats alot for your help guys and yeah i ment to mention the blood glucose forgot hehe

ReputationRep:
    go with the safer option its the best u can find loads more info lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.