Turn on thread page Beta

Holy **** - Killer robots in widespread use watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion...y-1875220.html

When the US invaded Iraq in 2003, they had no robots as part of their force. By the end of 2005, they had 2,400. Today, they have 12,000, carrying out 33,000 missions a year. A report by the US Joint Forces Command says autonomous robots will be the norm on the battlefield within 20 years.

The Nato forces now depend on a range of killer robots, largely designed by the British Ministry of Defence labs privatised by Tony Blair in 2001. Every time you hear about a "drone attack" against Afghanistan or Pakistan, that's an unmanned robot dropping bombs on human beings. Push a button and it flies away, kills, and comes home. Its robot-cousin on the battlefields below is called SWORDS: a human-sized robot that can see 360 degrees around it and fire its machine-guns at any target it "chooses". Fox News proudly calls it "the GI of the 21st century." And billions are being spent on the next generation of warbots, which will leave these models looking like the bulky box on which you used to play Pong.

If virtually no American forces had died in Vietnam, would the war have stopped when it did – or would the systematic slaughter of the Vietnamese people have continued for many more years? If "we" weren't losing anyone in Afghanistan or Iraq, would the call for an end to the killing be as loud? I'd like to think we are motivated primarily by compassion for civilians on the other side, but I doubt it. Take "us" safely out of the picture and we will be more willing to kill "them".

There is some evidence that warbots will also make us less inhibited in our killing. When another human being is standing in front of you, when you can stare into their eyes, it's hard to kill them. When they are half the world away and little more than an avatar, it's easy. A young air force lieutenant who fought through a warbot told Singer: "It's like a video game [with] the ability to kill. It's like ... freaking cool."
    I fear that this development will provide such a massive technological advantage to armed forces, that the odds will be insane. I don't like how responsibility for collateral damage could be passed on to technical errors, either.
    These will be terrible if they are misused or malfunction. From the impression of mr. young air force lieutenant, it looks like they already are. It's just a video game, slaughtering Afghan civilians will lose you points but you can shoot if you like.

I want one :beard:

ReputationRep:
    I want one so I can programme it to kill Kerry Katona and Peaches Geldof :ta:

ReputationRep:
    meh..

ReputationRep:
    arghhh urghhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    arghhh urghhh
    I thought I was beating it, you as well:confused:

ReputationRep:
    UAVs are probably the only thing that helps the war effort, I'd not want to see robot soldiers though...that would be terrifying!

ReputationRep:
    How do I know that the engineers will be blamed when this goes tits up. Science should boycott the army purely because of liability issues. Poor Alfred noble, he knew this only too well...

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, they're hardly high technology. The SWORDS thing is just a fancy remote control car with a machine gun welded onto the top of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    I thought I was beating it, you as well:confused:

Ahahah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    To be fair, they're hardly high technology. The SWORDS thing is just a fancy remote control car with a machine gun welded onto the top of it.
    Did you read the bit about the way the soldiers would treat this technology? It distances soldiers and human responsibility from the battlefield, some will even treat it like a video game. We obviously need to make sure that this is not abused.

(Original post by Democracy)
    You'd have to take out the vagina first. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Don't give away your secret plot to kill online!!! Do you not remember the story from the other day???

Expect the Po-lice fast response unit to be at your house in the next hour or so to seize your belongings and take you to the big house.

ReputationRep:
    Having read that I think I just found a new career path. :eek:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I can see the concerns...but this could revolutionise warfare...I wonder if it'd ever reach the state where you just stick a load of robots in a desert and let them battle it out...whichever side won would start heading towards the enemy cities :beard:

Ok reading that back it sounds ridiculous...I was sure that was going to go somewhere :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    Flip, imagine being a civilian there. You're eating a dinner and a motherbleeding robot bursts in the freakin' house. Bejezubing scary...

//EDIT: Just noticed the inane number of expletives I used in this post so I just edited it for some slightly less serious words.
    //EDIT2: insane*

ReputationRep:
    Cool! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    True, we're still a few decades away from

ReputationRep:
    http://www.wardefence.com/

You know robotic warfare is getting high tech when there are websites like this! :yup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by + polarity -)
    You'd have to take out the vagina first. :lolwut:
    Haha, love this! Rep for you!

ReputationRep:
    They aren't robots, if they're controlled by a remote operator they are remote controlled vehicles and thus are not as ethically dubious.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.