Turn on thread page Beta

Stay at uni for my family???? ADVICE NEEDED BEFORE DEADLINE!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Am in first year but not enjoying my course, and want to change courses but i have to apply to other universities as my current uni does not do my course as single subject only combined.

My dad is terminally ill and i want to stay close to home as possible but the closest uni am applying for is 1 hour away and my current just half an hour max.

I have not dropped out as of yet but i dont want to disapoint my dad as its a course that he is proud i am doing and am really worried about the effect me moving away would have on my mum and sister.

Am a making a wise descion? Should i stay doing my current course even though i dont like it to avoid any more disruption to my family?

I am really confused and worried as to what to do!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a car?
    Or can you drive?

Could you not travel to the uni each day?

How would it disrupt your family? Do they rely on you for something in particular?

ReputationRep:
    No i can't drive, its an hour by train.

If i moved away and things deterioated with my dad, my mum and sister will have to cope living on their own without either of us there i wouldnt want to make things worse and feel guilty about not living at home.

ReputationRep:
    what uni is it

Should you really feel bad though? I'm quite sure your mum and sister would be able to cope (you didn't mention any problems they had), possibly. Maybe you should discuss it with your family?

ReputationRep:
    nobody can tell you which path you'll regret least in the future.

ReputationRep:
    am currently at liverpool uni and i am considering Manchester uni and Lancaster

ReputationRep:
    speak to your sister and mum, ask them.

Also ask the unis what the average day is like, if it's 2 days a week you could travel by train.
    what course?

ReputationRep:
    I am going to change from law and business to criminology.

ReputationRep:
    An hour is not long at all! If anything, it'd be the costs that annoyed me, but an hour? Jeez!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    what uni is it
    Dude how can you live with yourself posting garbage like this?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.