Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    closed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by konthedon)
    I got a question:

Im 17, got a abbey 'cash card' which is a cirrus and it cant do much. Do I need to be 18 to get a different type of card (to buy stuff online/paypal etc), and if so or if i can get one now which card is the best in terms of safety etc.? (Dont understand banking terms)

thanks
    you don't have to be 18, just ask for your card to be upgraded, they'll do it for you.

They *might* make you book an appoint. But thats only if your account needs upgrading too but its a quick thing.

Anyooone? It would also be nice if someone could explain the differences between having a cash card and having a credit card ... by this I mean is there things I will need to do differently/avoid etc.?
    You won't get a credit card, you just get a "better" bank card (Maestro, probably) that you can use online etc.

It's otherwise not much different to what you have now.

A credit card, on the other hand, IS completely different.

ReputationRep:
    Ok..ive done some reading around and there are two options: Visa electron card (which im probably eligible for) or Visa Debit card (which im not sure if i can get).

Ive found out that the Visa debit is more widely accepted and has raised numbers or something (that makes it safer?) but the visa electron is more for students (cant go overdrawn). I think somewhere also said visa electron is more used for fraud ... and if you lose it your money can easily get rinsed (pin?) !?

In askin a lot but which is better?

Thanks
    The thing about fraud is rubbish.

Raised numbers don't protect you, they just look better :tongue:

And yes everything will stay the same, your account number,sort-code, PIN etc.

Just your card will change, will have a chip on it and you'll be able to use it on *most* online UK retailers. The electron isn't accepted as much as Visa Debit obviously, but it does the job.

ReputationRep:
    They are cheap people who bought up Abbey and the staff. It's all rubbish. Get out of santander. They don't care about you. The people who used to work for the bank are the people who used to care about the people. Get an account somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    They are cheap people who bought up Abbey and the staff. It's all rubbish. Get out of santander. They don't care about you. The people who used to work for the bank are the people who used to care about the people. Get an account somewhere else. They are cheats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anakaday)
    They are cheap people who bought up Abbey and the staff. It's all rubbish. Get out of santander. They don't care about you. The people who used to work for the bank are the people who used to care about the people. Get an account somewhere else. They are cheats.
    O RLY?

OP: You can't get a Visa Debit until you are 18, just the rules. Until then you can get the Visa Electron and upgrade when it's your birthday. Just go into your local branch and they'll sort it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 5, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.