Turn on thread page Beta

do you care how intelligent you appear to those who you know in everyday life? watch

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't care. No one likes a know-it-all (fortunately for me, I don't know much at all...!)

ReputationRep:
    Let it go
    dont care wat people think

ReputationRep:
    Those who never accept they are wrong.........

ReputationRep:
    How did you manage to get tan and sin confused? :facepalm2:

tanx = sinx / cosx

My dog even knows that. :run:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Say you're in a maths class, and the teacher puts a formula on the board.

You don't agree with part of the formula so stick your hand up and say "is that right? shouldn't that be a "tan" instead of a "sin"?" or something similar, but not really aggressively

Now it turns out the formula on the board is correct, and the reason you aren't is to do with your understanding of the formula/what it describes. It is clear that you didn't fully understand the formula at first, and people can't be sure if you do understand it now.

Would you just let it go and move on, or would you try to somehow show that you understood? If somebody else did the same, would you just let it go, or would you remember for a long time?
    Just let it go graciously. Far better than to go on and on about it, much to the annoyance of your peers. It's far better to accept it and let it go. Win with modesty, lose with dignity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    How did you manage to get tan and sin confused? :facepalm2:

tanx = sinx / cosx

My dog even knows that. :run:
    Don't be mean :naughty:

Not everyone must be as intelligent as your dog :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    Don't be mean :naughty:

Not everyone must be as intelligent as your dog :lol:
    Oh, I thought all of TSR was like SuperDog. :o:

Srsly though, OP, let it go, man!

We've all been wrong in our lives.

I was wrong above when I said my dog is more intelligent than you, you're doing A-level Maths, you must be a smart lad. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Not at all? you can't "appear" to be intelligent when you really aren't. And since I can't change my intelligence at 21, I'll probably just curse my genes and my family :top:

ReputationRep:
    This reminds me of kids who ask a question they already know the answer to, and then interject on the teacher to reel of some spurious fact that they reckon'll make em look clever.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Say you're in a maths class, and the teacher puts a formula on the board.

You don't agree with part of the formula so stick your hand up and say "is that right? shouldn't that be a "tan" instead of a "sin"?" or something similar, but not really aggressively

Now it turns out the formula on the board is correct, and the reason you aren't is to do with your understanding of the formula/what it describes. It is clear that you didn't fully understand the formula at first, and people can't be sure if you do understand it now.

Would you just let it go and move on, or would you try to somehow show that you understood? If somebody else did the same, would you just let it go, or would you remember for a long time?
    Um I would probably show I understood, because that means the teacher doesn't need to spend extra time explaining it to me that he could be using on different topics.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Kreuzuerk)
    This reminds me of kids who ask a question they already know the answer to, and then interject on the teacher to reel of some spurious fact that they reckon'll make em look clever.
    ...I hate those kids...

ReputationRep:
    No, my intelligence is pretty low and TBH you can like it or lump it!

My intelligence is fine for me, I dont care if you think im stupid.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 24, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.