Turn on thread page Beta

How to organise work experience?~ watch

    • Thread Starter

    I need to organise some sort of volunteering at a placement for myself, such as at a hospice or day care nursery.

    The thing is, if I go to the placement and request work experience,won't I need criminal record checks? Do I have to pay for these checks?

    Also, I have no idea what information I have to put on my application to Uni so that I can prove that I have actually DONE the work experience. What details do I have to take from them?

    Sorry, I'm a bit new to this :p:

    no no no the company you work at should pay for it that is what they did for me

    yeah the company should pay. as for the information on the application, you just need to state somewhere that you've done it eg in the personal statement and the uni will ask proof of it later. you'll probably have to ask the hospice or whatever to write a note.
    • PS Reviewer

    PS Reviewer
    Most unis won't want anything to 'prove' you have the experience, but they will be able to tell if you are lying about it by the way you talk about it in the personal statement. When you talk about your work experience you need to reflect on it and say what you got out of it, which will show them that you have done it.
    Even if somewhere does ask for proof, you will probably just need a letter stating the dates you were there that is on headed paper/signed by the manager.

    company should pay.... but may not.
    i just got a paid job in heathcare and i had to pay half the money toward the CRB but at other places i havnt had to. it is only £36 total, its not like you are forking out hundreds.

    mention your experiance in your personal statement. i doubt the uni will ask for proof but if they do then that will be fine because even if you are only there for a week the compancy you volunteer with will need to record you being there (health and safty) so they will be able to produce proof.

    seriously though apply soon. If you have never been CRB checked before it cold take a couple of months so the sooner the better.
The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.