Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What are you avoiding? procrastinating from? There's no time like the present (in fact it's the only time) to set the wheels in motion for achieving what you want to achieve. All changes happen in a moment.

I signed up for the Blackpool Marathon yesterday and I realised that I could have done it a long time ago, but I just always thought I would be better prepared or the time would be right in the future, but that time doesn't even exist.

It was the same when I signed up to do a skydive last year...if you want to change something or to achieve something, the time to start is now! Not only will it make you feel exceptionally good, it will inspire those around you as well. I inspired my mate to do the skydive last year and he inspired me to sign up for the marathon this year.

ReputationRep:
    About six assignments, signing up for piano and drama lessons, and telling my parents where to stick it.

ReputationRep:
    If only it was procrastination which was stopping me from doing something like skydiving. The things in life I want to do that I haven't are simply because I can't afford to. If only life were so simple.

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I'm procrastinating from is going into uni to pick up feed back on my work, the email informs me I did well which is good and I'm pleased with that. But the rain and cold wind outside counterbalances it. Thus I'm in limbo as to whether or not I should leave the comfort of my bed this morning. I can either sit here watching the rest of Aliens with a nice cup of tea, or I can go outside and get rained on...

Not exactly as exciting as running a marathon or sky diving :p:

ReputationRep:
    Actually using my gym membership....erm preparing from my med school interview.... visiting my parents since xmas.....cleaning the kitchen...paying off debt...buying hotel reservation/train tickets for feb...getting hair cut....sorting out bday party...

Wow I have serious stuff to do

ReputationRep:
    Uni work
    Going to the gym
    Learning Italian

ReputationRep:
    Studying for an exam in a subject called English verb :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Revising
    sleeping
    calling someone back

ReputationRep:
    Revising for First Aid assessment.

I should get some sleep too.

ReputationRep:
    Final 4000 word AAT assisgnment
    Written modules & journal for Cert. in dance teaching
    Paying off my overdraft
    Actually doing some work in the office
    Visiting my lil sister at uni
    Cleaning my en suite

I have booked a hair-cut & an opticians appointment though for Feb

ReputationRep:
    3000 word A-level coursework essay due in on monday. I have done 300 words.

ReputationRep:
    Exams.

I have MW2 on PS3 and a 50 inch HD TV and i've promised myself not to play it until next week when all my exams are over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    If only it was procrastination which was stopping me from doing something like skydiving. The things in life I want to do that I haven't are simply because I can't afford to. If only life were so simple.
    I didn't pay to do the skydive, I did it for charity so the money I raised covered the costs of the event as well as providing donations. I had no idea how I was going to raise the money when I signed up for it and that was one thing which always put me off from doing events for charities, but I took a leap of faith and I figured out how to raise the money and I did. There will always be excuses or reasons not to do something. So many people told me they would love to do a skydive when I was doing mine and I told them they could if they really wanted to and they soon lost interest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    starting my dissertation
    essay due in Monday
    exam revision/notes
    finishing my driving lessons
    getting my hair cut

About 20 other things...
    There's never enough time.
    We all get the same 24 hours as Richard Branson and Bill Gates, you just have to make the time. Now am training for a marathon, I'll have to sacrafice less sleep in order to fit everything in. It's tiring but if everything in life was easy, we would all be successful and content.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlisquigs)
    3000 word A-level coursework essay due in on monday. I have done 300 words.
    Every 1000 mile journey begins with a first step

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwwhty)
    I didn't pay to do the skydive, I did it for charity so the money I raised covered the costs of the event as well as providing donations. I had no idea how I was going to raise the money when I signed up for it and that was one thing which always put me off from doing events for charities, but I took a leap of faith and I figured out how to raise the money and I did. There will always be excuses or reasons not to do something. So many people told me they would love to do a skydive when I was doing mine and I told them they could if they really wanted to and they soon lost interest.
    I thought you might have.

The thing about sponsored skydives is that you're essentially getting other people to pay for something that you want to do anyway. I've actually looked up skydives for charity before, and about three-quarters of the £360-ish amount that this particular one asked as a minimum fund raise simply was for the cost of the jump. Personally, I'm not okay with getting other people to pay for me to do something I've always wanted to do, telling them that the money is going towards a charitable fund.

ReputationRep:
    Re-doing an entire complicated spreadsheet with 1100+ Cells! It took me ages and now every cell has decided to have same value !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisgruntledMoth)
    I thought you might have.

The thing about sponsored skydives is that you're essentially getting other people to pay for something that you want to do anyway. I've actually looked up skydives for charity before, and about three-quarters of the £360-ish amount that this particular one asked as a minimum fund raise simply was for the cost of the jump. Personally, I'm not okay with getting other people to pay for me to do something I've always wanted to do, telling them that the money is going towards a charitable fund.
    I believe when I did mine, £120 paid for the skydive and I raised £560 so that was still £440 that went to the charity in pure donations. £440 I wouldn't have raised had I not done the skydive because there was no way I could inspire friends or family members to just make a donation alone, but because I was doing something though, they were more inclined to donate. At the end of the day, no one is being mislead. It's a person's own choice to donate and they are aware of the costs that cover the event itself.

But that's beside the point anyway. If you really want to do something, you'll find the money. One of my ambitions for a long time was to do a Tall Ships Youth Trust voyage so I saved up and paid for it myself. I'm currently enrolled on a Mathematics GCSE course at night college which cost me £333, I worked all summer last year to save the fee.

ReputationRep:
    Getting a cardigan.
    And I plan on putting it off for as long as I can.
    The cardigans are from primark and primark scares me.:coma:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.