Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, everyone. I got an offer from LSE to read MSc International Employment Relation& Human Resource, and another offer from Oxford to read MSc Sociology. Which do you think I should go for, provided that I wanted to get a PhD in Management&Organization at the top universities in the US>> It said on the website of many US business schools that for this specialization (Organization)they prefer students who has a degree in economics, psychology, or sociology...not human resource. So please help me decide.

ReputationRep:
    Well , then you're pretty much sorted. US unis prefer sociology over human resources and would definitely like MORE the sounding of Oxford :yep:
    Screw LSE!

ReputationRep:
    Disagree. LSE have on eof the best Management schools in the world..

There HRM course (Bsc and Msc) is on of the best in the world, and I am sure many people regard HRM over Sociology (a soft science).

Just my opinion..

ReputationRep:
    Amazing. I applied to both LSE (MSc in Org & Soc Psych - offer received) and Oxford (MSc in Sociology - decision pending) for the exact reason as you - to pursue a PhD in organisation studies (either B-School or soc) in the States.

What is your quantitative background like? I've just looked at the course outline of the IER/HR MSc and there don't seem to be any research methods courses. If your undergraduate study included a fair amount of mathematics and statistics training, this shouldn't be an issue. If not, the Sociology MSc at the very least offers an introductory statistics paper which is a plus in its favour. .

Apart from methods, to me it looks like the LSE degree has a wider range of options more immediately relevant to your PhD. From what little I've seen, the name suggests a practical-based HR course, but there are several academically inclined optional units in sociology and psychology available. If need be, you could also choose a quantitative methods unit to supplement your disciplinary training.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.