Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, everyone. I got an offer from LSE to read MSc International Employment Relation& Human Resource, and another offer from Oxford to read MSc Sociology. Which do you think I should go for, provided that I wanted to get a PhD in Management&Organization at the top universities in the US>> It said on the website of many US business schools that for this specialization (Organization)they prefer students who has a degree in economics, psychology, or sociology...not human resource. So please help me decide.

ReputationRep:
    Well , then you're pretty much sorted. US unis prefer sociology over human resources and would definitely like MORE the sounding of Oxford :yep:
    Screw LSE!

ReputationRep:
    Disagree. LSE have on eof the best Management schools in the world..

There HRM course (Bsc and Msc) is on of the best in the world, and I am sure many people regard HRM over Sociology (a soft science).

Just my opinion..

ReputationRep:
    Amazing. I applied to both LSE (MSc in Org & Soc Psych - offer received) and Oxford (MSc in Sociology - decision pending) for the exact reason as you - to pursue a PhD in organisation studies (either B-School or soc) in the States.

What is your quantitative background like? I've just looked at the course outline of the IER/HR MSc and there don't seem to be any research methods courses. If your undergraduate study included a fair amount of mathematics and statistics training, this shouldn't be an issue. If not, the Sociology MSc at the very least offers an introductory statistics paper which is a plus in its favour. .

Apart from methods, to me it looks like the LSE degree has a wider range of options more immediately relevant to your PhD. From what little I've seen, the name suggests a practical-based HR course, but there are several academically inclined optional units in sociology and psychology available. If need be, you could also choose a quantitative methods unit to supplement your disciplinary training.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever been hacked?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.