Turn on thread page Beta

Shifting into first gear watch

ReputationRep:
    I am having trouble shifting into first gear. Sometimes, I have to step on my clutch three times to get back into first gear from higher gears. Is there some kind of lubricant that I can use to make the shift easier?

ReputationRep:
    stop, change to neutral
    pull out the clutch all the way
    push it back down
    put it in first

Try that?

ReputationRep:
    What speed are you trying to do it at?

ReputationRep:
    Eh? Which part are you finding difficult: getting the clutch down, bringing it back up or moving the stick?

If you're finding it difficult to push the clutch down then either move closer to the pedals, get it seen to if it's exceptionally difficult or just remember that practice makes perfect. And obviously don't try it at 60mph.

ReputationRep:
    could be a problem with your clutch cable, if its to tight getting into gears can be tough, and if its to slack getting into gears can be impossible had same problem with my car, new cable and problem solved.

thats if its not going into first when your stationary, going into first when your going anything over 5mph isn't a great idea.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible you might not have slowed up enough? A lot of cars prevent first gear from being accessed until you have slowed to a certain speed to prevent damage. If you learn to double de-clutch it is possible to put it into first earlier. To double de-clutch basically do what Pheonixx said but blip the throttle in neutral to bring the revs up for the lower gear, takes a bit of practice to get right though, especially in the lower gears, also bear in mind the car tries to prevent you putting it in gear for a reason so if you get it wrong it wont be good.

I did have the same problem you describe with my previous car though, It would happen regardless of speed and even when stationary and progressively got worse until I lost all gears. It turned out to be a broken pedal-box. It was car specific fault though so I doubt it will be that unless you own a Arosa/Lupo.
    I'm not mechanic but I guess it could also be some sort of clutch fault or perhaps gear linkages.

ReputationRep:
    I have this problem to when I'm like slowing to a stop at a junction...all other gears are fine the first has to be shoved in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    I have this problem to when I'm like slowing to a stop at a junction...all other gears are fine the first has to be shoved in!
    Are you sure you're not acutally still going too fast for first? My car doesn't like being in first for more than a sec after pulling off and is fine in second at crawling speeds, first would practically jerk my car to a halt. Maybe you should stick to second when stopping, before shifting in first to pull away again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99CENT)
    I am having trouble shifting into first gear. Sometimes, I have to step on my clutch three times to get back into first gear from higher gears. Is there some kind of lubricant that I can use to make the shift easier?

you're probably doing it at too high a speed, you should only go into first when you've stopped and are getting ready to set off again. I only ever go into first when still movinb when i'm litterally crawling at a jam.

So basically..

you come up to a junction, going 25mph in 3rd gear, brakes..2nd gear, and when you've finally stopped, 1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    you come up to a junction, going 25mph in 3rd gear, brakes..2nd gear, and when you've finally stopped, 1st.
    Yup that's how it should be done.

ReputationRep:
    There is no synchromesh on first, the gearbox is not designed so you can get first while your moving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    Yup that's how it should be done.
    should bloody well hope so, have been driving for a while now!

ReputationRep:
    My car does that. Same with reverse.
    It never ever wants to go into reverse first time, it's only done it about five or six times and I have to reverse a LOT.
    I always have to stick it into neutral and lift up the clutch, or another gear after having tried sticking it into reverse first.
    First isn't so bad though, it's just a bit rough to get it in.
    Love my car. <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    So basically..

It would be better just to come at a full stop in 2nd gear, then go back to 1st.

Intermediate gear shifting wastes petrol and is for noobs :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    It would be better just to come at a full stop in 2nd gear, then go back to 1st.

thats what i said, you stop and go into first, and handbrake on..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)

Just to clarify, you'd only waste petrol if you brought your clutch up to engage the gear and you'd be perfectly fine if you switched down while keeping your clutch down?

Am a noob, you see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SSingh23)
    Just to clarify, you'd only waste petrol if you brought your clutch up to engage the gear and you'd be perfectly fine if you switched down while keeping your clutch down?

Am a noob, you see.
    That called coasting.

It helps reduce the waste significantly, (during intermediate gear shift)

But you risk loosing control of the car, if you have the clutch constantly down, my instructor insisited to stop coasting round corners and avoid it completely.

But the main thing that wastes fuel is needless braking. which too many people do these days. Anything more than a tap on a breaks is almost always unnecessary

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    It helps reduce the waste significantly. But you risk loosing control of the car, if you have the clutch constantly down (called coasting).
    Gotcha'. It's not like I intend to coast 24/7 though! I'm not that much of a newb :borat: .

ReputationRep:
    Keep the clutch down and put it in second on the way to first.

Alternatively be skinflint and coast as much as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    That called coasting.

It helps reduce the waste significantly, (during intermediate gear shift)

But you risk loosing control of the car, if you have the clutch constantly down, my instructor insisited to stop coasting round corners and avoid it completely.

But the main thing that wastes fuel is needless braking. which too many people do these days. Anything more than a tap on a breaks is almost always unnecessary
    I thought coasting used more fuel than slowing down with your foot off the accelerator but still in gear. The car still has to use fuel when coasting to keep the engine going, but can use the KE of the car if the gear is engaged.

Just what I heard on top gear and it makes sense but then again, it is top gear.

(Original post by Riderz)
    There is no synchromesh on first, the gearbox is not designed so you can get first while your moving.
    Just quoted this Riderz to see if he could tell me if it was true. Seems to know his ****.

Cheers

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.