Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _KilgoreTrout_)
    I thought coasting used more fuel than slowing down with your foot off the accelerator but still in gear. The car still has to use fuel when coasting to keep the engine going, but can use the KE of the car if the gear is engaged.

Cheers
    Was about to say the same thing.

@OP and others: it's not really a matter of how fast your going, it's a matter of matching engine revs to that speed. If the revs aren't even close, it's going to be harder to get the gearstick into place.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't find it, grind it. Nah but seriously, I only use first for pulling off from standstill. Or very slow crawling, as has been mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _KilgoreTrout_)
    I thought coasting used more fuel than slowing down with your foot off the accelerator but still in gear. The car still has to use fuel when coasting to keep the engine going, but can use the KE of the car if the gear is engaged.
    I have no comment on coasting in general. Because what you said made no sense to me, regarding my post.

Because I wasnt talking about coasting in general, I was talking about coasting while shifted intermediate gears, which would obviously save fuel, than if you engaged and dis-engaged, then re-engaged the clutch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    Are you sure you're not acutally still going too fast for first? My car doesn't like being in first for more than a sec after pulling off and is fine in second at crawling speeds, first would practically jerk my car to a halt. Maybe you should stick to second when stopping, before shifting in first to pull away again?
    Nah not too fast I don't think. I just break and go down to second but when I know I have to stop I put it in first....or try too. If I put it in second instead I'll probably forget and stall hehe! I'll give it a go though.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like you are going too fast - as others have said you need to be going very slow to get into first from a higher gear

Normally when I braking to a stop from speed I end up coasting the last few metres and then put it into first at the very last second.

ReputationRep:
    Naturally this whole coasting uses more fuel thing only makes sense on injected systems unless my understanding is very poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Naturally this whole coasting uses more fuel thing only makes sense on injected systems unless my understanding is very poor.
    Quite right. Hence the popping you get on carburetted cars when slowing down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Quite right. Hence the popping you get on carburetted cars when slowing down
    The BEST sound in the world is kicking it down a gear or 2 on the bike, when stopping for a junction or something. It sounds so powerful, so manly, so amazing. I actually orgasm at times.

....... droooooooooool.........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    The BEST sound in the world is kicking it down a gear or 2 on the bike, when stopping for a junction or something. It sounds so powerful, so manly, so amazing. I actually orgasm at times.

....... droooooooooool.........
    You should hear the E-Type! Slow down through the gears quickly and you get massive back fires as the excess fuel gets burnt, its brilliant!

Pop pop pop!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    You should hear the E-Type! Slow down through the gears quickly and you get massive back fires as the excess fuel gets burnt, its brilliant!

Pop pop pop!
    Rallying is where it's at :orgasms:

ReputationRep:
    My car does it too, even after de clutching when stationary. Had to set off in second a few times. The problem generally goes away after the gearbox has warmed up.

Selector forks on the gearbox can be bent. Forcing it is not a good idea. Keep de-clutching or blipping throttle to match revs till it changes. Most modern gearboxes are sealed for life, they never need lubricating or an oil change. Older ones may have a greese gun nipple on them. Not all clutch designs use a cable system, some are hydrolic.

On the coasting issue, injection cars use an electronic fuel shut off valve controlled by the ECU, to conseve fuel. The rotational energy in the wheels, that is picked up rom the road keeps turning the engine over, this is what 'engine braking is' since it takes more engergy to turn the engine that just the wheels alone. When you depress the clutch, you remove this effect and fuel is required to keep the engine turning over otherwise it would stall.

Also, changing gears on a modern gearbox does not require you to match engine revs with road speed, this is because of a syncromesh (sp?) ring on each gear. When you change down the engine speed will increase and the road speed decrease so they meet in the middle somewhere, this is not good driving technique and loads the gearbox and engine components with stress they dont need, but it makes driving easier for the majority of people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Rallying is where it's at :orgasms:
    haha, too true! Audi Quattro coming off load and the turbo throwing in the fuel! :orgasms:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    haha, too true! Audi Quattro coming off load and the turbo throwing in the fuel! :orgasms:
    *makes a wet patch on the bed*

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Double clutch! ^^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashyyy)
    Double clutch! ^^
    *double de-clutch*? Most learners won't have the pedal coordination or patience to get this right and to be honest, you really don't to learn it to get the car into first while you're moving because you simply don't need it. I ddc down from 4th to 3rd and 3rd to 2nd if I'm on a long hill because my 'box thanks me for it but other than that it's not needed. This is a gearbox with 180k or so on it as well so it's not like the synchro rings haven't got any wear on them :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Procrastinator)
    I have this problem to when I'm like slowing to a stop at a junction...all other gears are fine the first has to be shoved in!
    ditto! on both my fiestas - a 1995 and now a 2003 sometimes when slowing down at a junction or whatever it doesnt want to go back to first, even if you are going really slowly it must be some kind of mechanism coz both my cars have done it, i wasnt sure if it was just my old one being stubborn but the new one does it too.... the gears are smooth at all other times...

edit: after seeing other posts, maybe it is to do with the car warming up - especially if you dont drive it dailt - i drive mine twice a week usually, i only seem to have the problem when i have just started driving the car, like around the corner from my house!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordan200888)
    ditto! on both my fiestas - a 1995 and now a 2003 sometimes when slowing down at a junction or whatever it doesnt want to go back to first, even if you are going really slowly it must be some kind of mechanism coz both my cars have done it, i wasnt sure if it was just my old one being stubborn but the new one does it too.... the gears are smooth at all other times...
    It's a bugger isn't it!? Maybe if we just stay in 2nd until we are completly stopped then go into 1st. meh, I only do it the other way so I could concentrate on getting out of the junction rather than fighting with a gear stick and looking haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordan200888)

edit: after seeing other posts, maybe it is to do with the car warming up - especially if you dont drive it dailt - i drive mine twice a week usually, i only seem to have the problem when i have just started driving the car, like around the corner from my house!
    No.

It is because second to first does not have a synchromesh and because first is only designed to be used for pulling away, not when you are already moving. Second gear should be ample.

Forcing any gear in is going to increase wear on your linkages and bearings. Most cars have mechanisms as you say to prevent damage to first gear which is why you can't engage first whilst you are still moving. To force it, causes damage.

Graham

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    Selector forks on the gearbox can be bent. Forcing it is not a good idea. Keep de-clutching or blipping throttle to match revs till it changes. Most modern gearboxes are sealed for life, they never need lubricating or an oil change. Older ones may have a greese gun nipple on them. Not all clutch designs use a cable system, some are hydrolic.

Much much more likely to have a drain plug for oil changes than a grease nipple. Ive never seen a nipple on a gearbox, the lube would be much too heavy to allow the gears to shift easily. And although most are sealed for life units, Haynes still recommend changing the oil at intervals. My car has done 60k miles and is up for a transmission change soon. Most clutches these days are hydraulic, but they are pretty robust and dont need maintenance.

Also, changing gears on a modern gearbox does not require you to match engine revs with road speed, this is because of a syncromesh (sp?) ring on each gear. When you change down the engine speed will increase and the road speed decrease so they meet in the middle somewhere, this is not good driving technique and loads the gearbox and engine components with stress they dont need, but it makes driving easier for the majority of people.
    It does no harm at all to use engine braking. People who drive for a living - HGV drivers, plant operators, etc, use it as part of their daily driving technique. Hence why there are jake and engine brakes to increase engine braking forces. I know people who have broken bits engine braking, but they have been very silly. For example in a tractor rated for 40k someone took it out of gear going down hill, brought the clutch up at about 55k and dropped the gearbox out onto the road!! :rolleyes: However, for 99.99% of people and situations engine braking is safe, recommenced, and useful. The clutch and gearbox are very robust things, and even coming off the motorway engine braking the revs dont go that high, maybe up to 4000 from 3000 or something. The car will be fine coping with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    It does no harm at all to use engine braking. People who drive for a living - HGV drivers, plant operators, etc, use it as part of their daily driving technique. Hence why there are jake and engine brakes to increase engine braking forces. I know people who have broken bits engine braking, but they have been very silly. For example in a tractor rated for 40k someone took it out of gear going down hill, brought the clutch up at about 55k and dropped the gearbox out onto the road!! :rolleyes: However, for 99.99% of people and situations engine braking is safe, recommenced, and useful. The clutch and gearbox are very robust things, and even coming off the motorway engine braking the revs dont go that high, maybe up to 4000 from 3000 or something. The car will be fine coping with that.

I was refering to chaging down to first whilst still at 30 or somthing and not attempting to match revs first....that it will happen anyway due to the synco... but you get a sharp slowing of the car that is bad technique and could cause you damage not gentle, normal stuff. Wasent worded very well looking back at it.

Some hills i've been down require 1st to keep under control.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.