Turn on thread page Beta

Shifting into first gear watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    I was refering to chaging down to first whilst still at 30 or somthing and not attempting to match revs first....that it will happen anyway due to the synco... but you get a sharp slowing of the car that is bad technique and could cause you damage not gentle, normal stuff. Wasent worded very well looking back at it.

Some hills i've been down require 1st to keep under control.
    But as Riderz said, most cars just don't have synchro rings on first gear so it's never going to be pretty trying to go into it while the car is moving. My car, a 1990 Land Rover, won't let me into first unless I'm going less than 5mph and I can feel it let me in when I drop to that speed. If the hills steep enough that you want first for it then stopping for a second to get it into first isn't going to take much effort since you're going to be going very slowly anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I have pushed the clutch down all the way. I am having trouble going from higher gears (gear 4, 3, 2) to first gear. I am not having so much trouble when I start my car because I can more or less take my time, but when there is something slowing me down, or if I am going into a car park, then I have to suddenly turn into first gear, and that is when it is not shifting easily, and I have to take several tries which isn't good when I am moving. My problem is not with the clutch, it is with the stick itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 99CENT)
    I have pushed the clutch down all the way. I am having trouble going from higher gears (gear 4, 3, 2) to first gear. I am not having so much trouble when I start my car because I can more or less take my time, but when there is something slowing me down, or if I am going into a car park, then I have to suddenly turn into first gear, and that is when it is not shifting easily, and I have to take several tries which isn't good when I am moving. My problem is not with the clutch, it is with the stick itself.
    You didn't read it very well, did you?

As everyone above has said, first gear normally doesn't have a syncromesh.

Most cars deliberately are made to prevent the driver going into first gear from a higher gear whilst the car is moving. You need to either keep it in second, or come to a complete stop.

Why can't you just balance the clutch and keep it in second?
    You ought to be able to pull away from a standing start in second easily enough anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Generally unless my understanding of modern gearboxes is severely lacking you can get it in first at any speed if you double declutch it in, though this is frankly an academic point considering that if you need first gear you should be going sodding slowly anyway and it should go in fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by terpineol)
    Generally unless my understanding of modern gearboxes is severely lacking you can get it in first at any speed if you double declutch it in, though this is frankly an academic point considering that if you need first gear you should be going sodding slowly anyway and it should go in fine.

Yeah of course, provided you match the speed of both cogs it will go in no matter how fast your going. However, with there being no syncromesh its a skill, you have to be right to within a couple of hundred revs. Plus the gearing is that low that you will get a massive amount of engine braking and be thrown through the windscreen.

The only things which use second to first are race cars/bikes, and they have the drivetrain, and drivers, to use do it correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Yeah of course, provided you match the speed of both cogs it will go in no matter how fast your going. However, with there being no syncromesh its a skill, you have to be right to within a couple of hundred revs. Plus the gearing is that low that you will get a massive amount of engine braking and be thrown through the windscreen.

The only things which use second to first are race cars/bikes, and they have the drivetrain, and drivers, to use do it correctly.
    Now you've said that I see many readers here redlining in neutral to try and double de clutch it into first and then wonder why it still won't work :rolleyes: You'll either go through the windscreen or snap a half shaft/shatter a CV/break something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    I know people who have broken bits engine braking, but they have been very silly. For example in a tractor rated for 40k someone took it out of gear going down hill, brought the clutch up at about 55k and dropped the gearbox out onto the road!! :rolleyes:
    Thant made me cringe.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.