Turn on thread page Beta

I'm running for my college student union president...IDEAS PLEASE? watch

ReputationRep:
    At my college i'm running for the presidency post and i need to make a powerpoint presentation to promote myself as a candidate.
    The thing is i have decided that my main focus that i want to address in my powerpoint is the idea of more entertainment for students during college hours and after college hours. I also want some sort of entertainment for students during their frees who has done all their work and have nothing to do.

So i'm just basically asking for ideas on what kind of entertainment i can mention and any other ideas i could bring forward..

Thanks in advance for the ideas guys

+Rep for person with the best idea !!!

ReputationRep:
    Designated common room
    Dartboard
    Pool table
    TV
    Small group of computers for 'net
    Access/cheap entry to local gym
    After school clubs/societies - maybe you can run some of them if they're not getting off to a good start

To be honest though, we don't know your college or its students. They could all be geeks for all we know, or all jocks. Target your audience. If you want to know what they want, then ask them - get a survey handed out either online (www.surveymonkey.com) or on paper, a suggestion box, a Facebook Group for suggestions/feedback/ideas, talk to people etc.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I'd say be different.

"You guys don't want to sit and watch a PPP, so I'm not going to do one"

Then blather on about what you do want to do. Get some real enthusiasm going.

DISCLAIMER: If you try this and it doesn't work, don't blame me.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a common room? If so then campaign for an extension of student rights over the room - i.e., be allowed to redecorate it how you want it, add in facilities such as a kettle, microwave etc.
    Also things like a film club for when it rains (or whenever), set up entertainment days where people run different forms of entertainment - raising money for charity or for your student union (or both) and even run events like 'Teachers X Factor' or something suitably cheesy. Eating competitions are very popular as well :yy:

Another good point to focus on is 'student voice'. Tell them you want to campaign to give them a bigger influence over school decision making by setting up meetings with the school leadership - tell them that if you are elected this will happen and so the future of entertainment in the school lies open for them to decide.

ReputationRep:
    Make a 5-a-side football team for boys and girls..

It gets people exercising and getting to know people.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot guys !
    I really appreciate the ideas !

Actually any idea is welcomed and greatly appreciated . I'm really serious about this and i've got some pretty strong comeptitors going for it too so i need to have the best presentation

ReputationRep:
    Have you any idea of the stress that you will be taking on? I did it for a year and nearly broke under the pressure >_<

If you haven't got a common room, I wouldn't even bother trying to get one. The colleges NEVER give a damn about it.

Why not actually undertake a survey, and ask what students want? Showing initiative, and that you've bothered to go out and ask students will give you points. You don't necessarily want to get yourself the popular vote with the entertainment, because when you actually get down to it, you'll be bogged down in all the every day stuff, and if you don't have the time to do it after all, you're going to lose the SU a lot of popularity, very quickly, which will stick around for years.

Do you have issues with transport, or anything like that?

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but it really is hard work and you really need to think hard about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Have you any idea of the stress that you will be taking on? I did it for a year and nearly broke under the pressure >_<

If you haven't got a common room, I wouldn't even bother trying to get one. The colleges NEVER give a damn about it.

Why not actually undertake a survey, and ask what students want? Showing initiative, and that you've bothered to go out and ask students will give you points. You don't necessarily want to get yourself the popular vote with the entertainment, because when you actually get down to it, you'll be bogged down in all the every day stuff, and if you don't have the time to do it after all, you're going to lose the SU a lot of popularity, very quickly, which will stick around for years.

Do you have issues with transport, or anything like that?

Sorry to be so pessimistic, but it really is hard work and you really need to think hard about it.

Well i really thought this through and i want to go for it !
    I like challenges and stress sort of turns me on aha but seriously i tend to work better under stress.

In my college we don't have a common room because it's not a sixth form
    but the entertainment is crap so i want to mention that
    I also want to mention other areas that the students are not comfortable with and i am in the process of doing a survey that will be handed our to the students.
    The transport to college is pretty good ..there is a train station 5min away and a bus station 5min away too and they are regular.

Thanks for the advice
    anything else you want to mention will be great too
    I really want this so any idea is definately great!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I don't have any tips for this, but my friend ran for SU president of my college last year and got it! I helped her a lot with her campaiging so I have some general tips

- a lot of people don't vote simply because they can't be bothered or they don't know where to go. Tell them where to go, and see if you can get a "mobile voting" thing going on in the canteen or similar at lunch. In our college this is where people that ran the SU came down with the ballot box to the canteen rather than making the students go up. This means that your competetors may get more votes, BUT it gives you more people to influence

- make posters and put them up around college with a picture of you that you're using for voting and not a lot of writing, just a few bullet points with where and when to vote on

- make badges and give them out. I made my friends badges and all I did was crop a picture of her face, put "VOTE FOR XX" on it, print it onto card and then celotape a safety pin on the back. Not hard and it def got a few extra votes

- make flyers on A5 paper and hand them out. Have a picture of you with VOTE FOR *NAME* on the front then on the back exactly what you're going to do. If you can talk about wanting to lower food prices in the canteen, get stuff for common room, running more trips (this could be an activity idea, do you have trips? We have loads to things like the clothes show, alton towers, amsterdam, michael mcintyre, shows in london. They tend to be pretty cheap for students too, cheaper if you're on EMA!) will be good!

- GO AROUND AND TALK TO PEOPLE. Give them a flyer and a badge. Explain what the elections are, where and when you can vote, and why they should vote for you. If you can afford it give them sweets. Sit down and talk to each group of people, it will take a long time but it is defintley worth it.

- Get your friends in on all this, spreading the word. I did a lot of going up and talking to people for my friends too, especially in my classes, I'd give out flyers and say "Vote for *NAME* on Wednesday! Just go to the SU office!".

Good luck

Oh and for the presentation just make it not too long, colourful, pictures, bullet points with things you want to do/change in your college. I'm sure you have plenty of ideas. Entertainment is a good one but don't JUST do that. As I said you can talk about food prices or times the library is open or wanting more study areas or having trips to different things.

EDIT: our college has a common room, you could talk about trying to get one, but it is defintley a certain type of person that hangs out in the common room, I swear I've never set foot in the place but lots of people do like it I guess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayostunner)
    Well i really thought this through and i want to go for it !
    I like challenges and stress sort of turns me on aha but seriously i tend to work better under stress.

In my college we don't have a common room because it's not a sixth form
    but the entertainment is crap so i want to mention that
    I also want to mention other areas that the students are not comfortable with and i am in the process of doing a survey that will be handed our to the students.
    The transport to college is pretty good ..there is a train station 5min away and a bus station 5min away too and they are regular.

Thanks for the advice
    anything else you want to mention will be great too
    I really want this so any idea is definitely great!
    Thing is, the college will state that they aren't responsible for funding/providing students with entertainment, because that just isn't their remit. You're quite lucky in the respect that as you're in England, the college has to give you 1% of their funding though; in Wales, I got £1,500 a year to run EVERYTHING *rant* :p:

Don't just hand the survey to students though; interview them in corridors, in lessons, in the canteen... Everywhere! If you give them the survey, then chances are they'll forget to hand it in.

Never forget, students are crap when it comes to any kind of responsibility. Always plan for the worst case scenario!

I organised a Christmas ball at a local nightclub, and that went well, but it was very, very stressful. Why not see about phoning up local places, and see if they'd allow you to host an event for both under and over 18s? It'll take a while because of the licensing - there was only one place willing to rent out to us for the night! - but having something set up in advance will really give you an advantage

I'm not sure what else I can think of atm, but PM me if you need any help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    Hey, I don't have any tips for this, but my friend ran for SU president of my college last year and got it! I helped her a lot with her campaiging so I have some general tips

- a lot of people don't vote simply because they can't be bothered or they don't know where to go. Tell them where to go, and see if you can get a "mobile voting" thing going on in the canteen or similar at lunch. In our college this is where people that ran the SU came down with the ballot box to the canteen rather than making the students go up. This means that your competetors may get more votes, BUT it gives you more people to influence

- make posters and put them up around college with a picture of you that you're using for voting and not a lot of writing, just a few bullet points with where and when to vote on

- make badges and give them out. I made my friends badges and all I did was crop a picture of her face, put "VOTE FOR XX" on it, print it onto card and then celotape a safety pin on the back. Not hard and it def got a few extra votes

- make flyers on A5 paper and hand them out. Have a picture of you with VOTE FOR *NAME* on the front then on the back exactly what you're going to do. If you can talk about wanting to lower food prices in the canteen, get stuff for common room, running more trips (this could be an activity idea, do you have trips? We have loads to things like the clothes show, alton towers, amsterdam, michael mcintyre, shows in london. They tend to be pretty cheap for students too, cheaper if you're on EMA!) will be good!

- GO AROUND AND TALK TO PEOPLE. Give them a flyer and a badge. Explain what the elections are, where and when you can vote, and why they should vote for you. If you can afford it give them sweets. Sit down and talk to each group of people, it will take a long time but it is defintley worth it.

- Get your friends in on all this, spreading the word. I did a lot of going up and talking to people for my friends too, especially in my classes, I'd give out flyers and say "Vote for *NAME* on Wednesday! Just go to the SU office!".

Good luck

Oh and for the presentation just make it not too long, colourful, pictures, bullet points with things you want to do/change in your college. I'm sure you have plenty of ideas. Entertainment is a good one but don't JUST do that. As I said you can talk about food prices or times the library is open or wanting more study areas or having trips to different things.

EDIT: our college has a common room, you could talk about trying to get one, but it is defintley a certain type of person that hangs out in the common room, I swear I've never set foot in the place but lots of people do like it I guess!

Thanks sooo much !
    this is actually very very helpful !!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Thing is, the college will state that they aren't responsible for funding/providing students with entertainment, because that just isn't their remit. You're quite lucky in the respect that as you're in England, the college has to give you 1% of their funding though; in Wales, I got £1,500 a year to run EVERYTHING *rant* :p:
    That is actually pretty generous, I wasn't aware that they had to give us 1% - we have to raise all of our money ourselves - certainly never got £1500

But another slightly topical thing that you could organise (OP) would be a Valentines party. Somewhere like the local working mens club or whatever hall is cheapest is easy to organise and you just have to sell tickets at £5 each or whatever - should cover costs and leave some extra profit to spend in your school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    That is actually pretty generous, I wasn't aware that they had to give us 1% - we have to raise all of our money ourselves - certainly never got £1500

But another slightly topical thing that you could organise (OP) would be a Valentines party. Somewhere like the local working mens club or whatever hall is cheapest is easy to organise and you just have to sell tickets at £5 each or whatever - should cover costs and leave some extra profit to spend in your school.
    It depends. If you're a college, they have to give you 1%, but if you're a school, I don't think you get anything. There's a lot of emphasis been put on 'Learner Voice' in the last few years. We only got the £1500 because we argued a LOT with the governing body, and because English colleges get a decent deal.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to focus on entertainment why not become the entertainment officer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittykatkat)
    If you want to focus on entertainment why not become the entertainment officer?
    No i dont want to focuse on entertainment only
    but the thing is i did a survey and most of the students mentioned entertainment so i want to address that issue especially during my presentation but im still gonna touch on other areas regarding the college in general!

ReputationRep:
    Have sex with every single male student in the college. And go for the Lesbians as well. That should get you over 50% for a majority.

ReputationRep:
    Long time no speak ayo :sexface:
    Here is some general advice to you:

1) Choose a close friend as campaign manager. Make sure he or she is confident. Also, make sure he or she doesn't do anything stupid such as rip down opponent's posters. You could also choose a help committee: two Poster Makers, one Publicist- makes sure that posters are put up.

2) Give little signs to supporters to put on their lockers -"Vote for ------- "(slogan here)".

3) Be nice to everyone, no exception, because many people will vote for you because they like you. Smile in the hallways. Make eye contact. They'll care if you're responsible, but if they like you, so much better.

4)Make your speech very interesting! This means a balance of humor and seriousness. Don't ramble on about what you'd do as president, but don't fill the entire thing with jokes, either. Take one general thing about your class and concentrate the speech on that one thing. For instance, take a class's "personality." Talk about how great the class's personality is. This will stir up pride in most every classmate of yours, regardless of social status and personal interests. This is especially effective in a small school. Make a promise during your speech, but do not make false promises. If you win and do not keep your promises everyone will be disappointed with you. Be loud and interesting. Have confidence; fake confidence if you don't think you have any. After all, once they hear your speech, they'll be wowed into checking off your name of the ballot.

Oh and don't be sad and make yourself look like some over-keen eager beaver. PLEASE DON'T!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sango)
    Long time no speak ayo :sexface:
    Here is some general advice to you:

1) Choose a close friend as campaign manager. Make sure he or she is confident. Also, make sure he or she doesn't do anything stupid such as rip down opponent's posters. You could also choose a help committee: two Poster Makers, one Publicist- makes sure that posters are put up.

2) Give little signs to supporters to put on their lockers -"Vote for ------- "(slogan here)".

3) Be nice to everyone, no exception, because many people will vote for you because they like you. Smile in the hallways. Make eye contact. They'll care if you're responsible, but if they like you, so much better.

4)Make your speech very interesting! This means a balance of humor and seriousness. Don't ramble on about what you'd do as president, but don't fill the entire thing with jokes, either. Take one general thing about your class and concentrate the speech on that one thing. For instance, take a class's "personality." Talk about how great the class's personality is. This will stir up pride in most every classmate of yours, regardless of social status and personal interests. This is especially effective in a small school. Make a promise during your speech, but do not make false promises. If you win and do not keep your promises everyone will be disappointed with you. Be loud and interesting. Have confidence; fake confidence if you don't think you have any. After all, once they hear your speech, they'll be wowed into checking off your name of the ballot.

Oh and don't be sad and make yourself look like some over-keen eager beaver. PLEASE DON'T!!!

Ahh Sango the alafin of Oyo !
    Thanks soo much for the advice and i will definately take them on board
    but the thing is at my college we dont get to give a speech ..we only do a powerpoint presentation which will be shown during tutor time and people would vote so i have to literally say everything i need to on my powerpoint

Any ideas on how to grab my audience attention with my powerpoint?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayostunner)
    Ahh Sango the alafin of Oyo !
    Thanks soo much for the advice and i will definitely take them on board
    but the thing is at my college we dont get to give a speech ..we only do a powerpoint presentation which will be shown during tutor time and people would vote so i have to literally say everything i need to on my powerpoint

Any ideas on how to grab my audience attention with my powerpoint?
    Add a video in. The simplest and most obvious thing to grab peoples attention. Although of course you have to make sure that there are no technical errors, that could be disastrous...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwilson03)
    Add a video in. The simplest and most obvious thing to grab peoples attention. Although of course you have to make sure that there are no technical errors, that could be disastrous...

Yup...i'm definately gonna do that
    but it's gonna be short and yea the technical errors is something that is worrying me .

Thanks

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.