Turn on thread page Beta

Women's studies? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOA)
    its a different generation, you were not one of those women who was the victim but the issues affecting men exist now

and

stop living in the past
    Women are oppressed on a global scale. Think about parts of the Middle East where women are stoned for being raped because they are no longer "pure" (i.e. they are no longer virgins or "faithful" wives). Think about parts of Africa where women are forced into circumcision because of cultural attitudes towards sexuality. Think about women forced into marriage in India or Pakistan because of either financial burden (etc). To say that academics and students who tackle these raw and very real issues are "living in the past" is to defy what is happening in the here and now and to overlook the atrocities women across the globe are experiencing. Womens Studies and Feminism give voice for oppressed women and provide fora for activist, academic, and research communities to tackle the sick prejudices that dictate the actions of men in power.

Further, to belittle the academic merit of Womens Studies is to show an ignorance of academia generally. Academia is heavily theoretical. By this I mean that ideas are at the heart of academia. Such ideas are often generic, and the value of such ideas is often extended through its application and criticism in multiple disciplines. Take Marxism. Marxism is studied across a range of disciplines, including (but not restricted to) History, English Literature, Politics, Critical Psychology, Education Studies, Media Studies, and Women Studies. To make fun of Women's Studies is to make fun of all of these disciplines (and more). It is to make fun of the ideas at the core of such disciplines. Further, disciplines learn from each other. Ideas are extended and transformed by each discipline. Women Studies draws heavily from Psychoanalytical understandings in its analysis of contemporary class struggle. The synthesis of Psychoanalytics with Marxist critiques provide a synergistic methodology of benefit to History academics who can explore the division of labour in growing capitalist societies, and explore the role of women in early capitalism. In our Postmodern era, such methodologies have been used to explore racism (Post-Colonialism) and disability (Disability Studies). This allows us to further our understandings of discrimination generally and allow us to take informed action. In this context, Women Studies works with other disciplines that benefit us all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    :ditto: this given it's what I study

Tbh OP, what you'll find that bar the few shelves on women's studies and feminism, the rest of the library's resources would effectively come under men's studies, given like Boosh has said, the dominance of men in academia and the general world.

And it's only now, thanks to the work written by feminists in the 70s that books focussing on masculinity as a theory are appearing (Connell would be one to read ) and the two are becoming more and more merged by the younger generation of academics who are prepared to actually stand up and say that 'gender equals both sexes'. So many people use 'gender' to talk about women which isn't right but alas I've spent 4 years reading about this stuff and feminists can be quite narrow minded.

Oh and there are hundreds of texts titled 'masculinity in x' - the medical treatment after the First World War would be a massive example.
    Another contemporary area of research is altered masculinity after sports injury. This is a buzzing topic at the moment. Or the role of men in primary and special education. As you suggest, these emergent topics of study are part motivated by the women's movement. Men are reconsidering their identity and relation to women in response to the discussions taking place by women. Women have empowered men to think about themselves in a new light and further understand themselves in relation to the new identities women are forging for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    back in my day it was called catering.

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of mickey mouse degrees...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    Women are oppressed on a global scale. Think about parts of the Middle East where women are stoned for being raped because they are no longer "pure" (i.e. they are no longer virgins or "faithful" wives).
    not true ... women don't get stoned for being raped ...
    in fact , women AND MEN are to be stoned if they have sex with other people while married, according to islam.

so it has nothing to do with gender as it applies to both males and females.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfahad)
    in fact , women AND MEN are to be stoned if they have sex with other people while married, according to islam.

Oh I see. I didn't realise all the published texts on the subject were lies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    Oh I see. I didn't realise all the published texts on the subject were lies.
    good that you now realise it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alfahad)

Theoretically this is true. However, in practice, women are punished more often than men, because most cultures require absolute proof the infedelity has taken place, which is often pregenancy. As men can't get pregenant, this means that women are more often on the recieving end of the punnishment.

On the subject of women's studies, it is considered kind of out dated, and has been replaced in some cases by things like "gender studies". I guess it's a branch of sociology...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lorietta)
    On the subject of women's studies, it is considered kind of out dated, and has been replaced in some cases by things like "gender studies". I guess it's a branch of sociology...
    Not in History as a subject it isn't - it's still considered relatively new, both as women's and gender history.

ReputationRep:
    Potty is absolutely right - it's not an old or "out of date" way of thinking. As I pointed out in a previous post, there are issues which are particular to women on an international scale (as well as issues that are particular to men). We can categorise the human populace in many different ways, and each category will have different stories to tell. Race and ethnicity studies; disability studies (and the sub-categories of deaf studies etc); cultural studies; womens studies; etc etc - it all contributes to the bigger picture of understanding humankind and the tensions that are particular to particular groups. Practically every university will have research groups dedicated to understanding different groups of people.

ReputationRep:
    Women's studies has always been a non subject studied by ugly dungaree-wearing fanny noshers.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.