Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    What the be thankful bit? I wasn't being serious.
    Or the idea that if you living together you can share shelf space?
    Mainly that. Glad you weren't being serious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tknight7)
    But iv heard that cos they "are a fire hazard", you could end terminating your contract?!?!

How/where do you hide it :confused:
    Usually, if you clear it with accommodation first and they test it, they don't mind you having one. It's not so much the fire hazard thing, it's the fact that they take up a LOT of electricity.

And srsly, you only have room inspections maybe twice a year. You get notice before they do it. You hide it in your cupboard, under a few choice bits of clothes and things.

ReputationRep:
    Put everything back in the fridge, but go actually physically talk to everyone.

Leaving notes or leaving things out to rot won't fix the problem, it'll make it worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kätzchen)
    Put everything back in the fridge, but go actually physically talk to everyone.

Leaving notes or leaving things out to rot won't fix the problem, it'll make it worse.
    see:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    And actually speaking to them is problematic too. The people I live with aren't very social and we're rarely in the kitchen together. When I knock on their doors - they ignore me!

ReputationRep:
    This happened to be when I got back. And some of my stuff had been thrown away because one of my flatmates insisted that we had to de-ice the freezer! I keep a box on my shelf to keep by vegetables in which takes up half of my shelf. Perhaps you could buy one so food that's not in packets doesn't get contaminated with meat/dairy.

ReputationRep:
    see:
    Am I right in remembering that you had issues with them before, I think their friends there stopped you from being able to cook?
    They ignored you?
    And they used some of your food?

ReputationRep:
    see:
    Still make the effort, you've got an issue you want to discuss. If they ignore you to your face, leaving a note is still the worse of the two - it's more easily ignored or taken aggressively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Usually, if you clear it with accommodation first and they test it, they don't mind you having one. It's not so much the fire hazard thing, it's the fact that they take up a LOT of electricity.

And srsly, you only have room inspections maybe twice a year. You get notice before they do it. You hide it in your cupboard, under a few choice bits of clothes and things.

What about the cleaners?

I'm hopefully going to UEA next year, and apparetly they're asked to report any that they see?

I'm thinking about a bribe................ :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Put it on the counter with a note saying, 'sorry everyone, had to move this that was on my shelf as I needed the space. Just put it out on [and time, eg. Friday afternoon].

That way you won't get into silly arguments about their food going off, because nothing will go off in one day, will it? Not unless it was already on the turn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kätzchen)
    Still make the effort, you've got an issue you want to discuss. If they ignore you to your face, leaving a note is still the worse of the two - it's more easily ignored or taken aggressively.
    Hypothetically speaking...
    ...if she literally can't talk to them, due to being ignored, or just not seeing them, for say, a week or two, then what do you suggest she does?

ReputationRep:
    The plastic container is a good idea. That way wherever it is it won't be touching over things and if something spills it shouldn't damage or run onto you food/vegetables etc. Would be pretty easy to find and it won't matter what shelf it is on.

ReputationRep:
    What about the cleaners?

I'm hopefully going to UEA next year, and apparetly they're asked to report any that they see?

I'm thinking about a bribe................ :rofl:
    Hahahahahaha, you think you get cleaners in your room? Are you actually joking?

I don't know what it's like at UEA, but I get absolutely nothing at Portsmouth, and I know it's the same at all the unis my mates are at too. They hoover the corridors and give you bin bags, and that's it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Hypothetically speaking...
    ...if she literally can't talk to them, due to being ignored, or just not seeing them, for say, a week or two, then what do you suggest she does?
    In my eyes it'd be very difficult to be totally blanked by people you live with, or not see them for weeks at this time of year. But say she's genuinely cornered people face to face and they've closed their eyes, stuck their fingers in their ears and gone "LALALA" (again, very unlikely), then I'd take that as a clear indication they're totally unreasonable, and either she resorts to notes as a last option or all their stuff can be shoved on other shelves. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Am I right in remembering that you had issues with them before, I think their friends there stopped you from being able to cook?
    They ignored you?
    And they used some of your food?
    Yeah I have had quite a few problems with them! :o: can't wait til I move to London and get my own flat in September! They've also trashed the kitchen and left disgusting dirty marks on the carpet from where bags of rubbish have been left before being taken out, and broken the vaccum by sucking up water! Ridiculous!

(Original post by SleepyGrad)
    Put it on the counter with a note saying, 'sorry everyone, had to move this that was on my shelf as I needed the space. Just put it out on [and time, eg. Friday afternoon].

That way you won't get into silly arguments about their food going off, because nothing will go off in one day, will it? Not unless it was already on the turn.
    Brilliant idea. I've left a note on the fridge politely asking whoever it is to move their stuff, but if they haven't by the time I get back with my shopping I'll do this. Thanks xx
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I had the same problem when coming back. The one international student decided to take up half the fridge and so one of the other people in my flat decided to take up my shelf.

Each time I go to the shop to buy something I just put it on my shelf and if necessary moved the other person's items to another shelf or to the counter.

We're each supposed to have a shelf and then the door is communal.

ReputationRep:
    Hahahahahaha, you think you get cleaners in your room? Are you actually joking?
    When i read it on the info pack they sent out, i was like WTF :confused:

But here it is, in their own terms:

CLEANING
    UEA Cleaning Services offers a supportive service to help you keep
    your flat and room in good order.
    Cleaning in your bedroom
    Your cleaner will come into your room every weekday from 9am, and once per week they will clean your
    shower pod or wash basin (where applicable). Your cleaner will try
    to cause as little disturbance as possible, but they will warn you with
    a knock on the door before entering your room.

Sounds like a hotel :confused:

EDIT: they just empty the bin, but do clean the showers etc in the en-suite rooms

ReputationRep:
    Leave their crap out on the side. Put your stuff back

ReputationRep:
    When i read it on the info pack they sent out, i was like WTF :confused:

But here it is, in their own terms:

CLEANING
    UEA Cleaning Services offers a supportive service to help you keep
    your flat and room in good order.
    Cleaning in your bedroom
    Your cleaner will come into your room every weekday from 9am, and once per week they will clean your
    shower pod or wash basin (where applicable). Your cleaner will try
    to cause as little disturbance as possible, but they will warn you with
    a knock on the door before entering your room.

Sounds like a hotel :confused:

EDIT: they just empty the bin, but do clean the showers etc in the en-suite rooms
    Jesus Christ, that's amazing. I'm in an en-suite room, and I never get mine cleaned - I have to do it all myself. We have to take out our own rubbish, too.

ReputationRep:
    Spit in their milk.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus Christ, that's amazing. I'm in an en-suite room, and I never get mine cleaned - I have to do it all myself. We have to take out our own rubbish, too.
    I know it doesn't sound too bad. Just an 8am wake up knock every morning might lack novelty after about a day.................

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.