Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tknight7)
    I know it doesn't sound too bad. Just an 8am wake up knock every morning might lack novelty after about a day.................
    Just make sure you sleep in PJs:eek: or else...

(Original post by Jangrafress)
    I'd leave the room when you can tbh. Else you'll sit there with them telling you what's wrong with your room and you'll feel useless and incompetent. Also, once when they were doing this I completely forgot and they knocked on the door. I shouted something asking them to do something along the lines of "**** off" then rolled over. The duvet fell off. They used their keys and walked in. I sleep naked. FML.
    Something like this could happen to you quite frequently. Although that was a room inspection ^_^

OP, you're perfectly within your right to have a shelf in the fridge, people can't hog all the resources. So just move it if they refuse to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    Just make sure you sleep in PJs :eek: or else...
    So that's where i'm going wrong..............

Must....resist.....urge.....to.. ...make......sexual.......joke.. ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    I got back to halls yesterday after being home for the Xmas holidays. I found a tonne of stuff on my shelf in the fridge - a little annoying but I understand people who aren't going home using my room for their stuff in the hols. I left everyone a note about a party I'm having next week so they all know I'm back. Go to the fridge this morning - more stuff has found it's way onto my shelf! Including a massive milk bottle - which has leaked all over the shelf! this pisses me off even more because I'm vegan!

Anyway, I lifted everything off that shelf and put it on the counter so I could wash the shelf itself. Currently the shelf is drying and the stuff is still on the counter.

My question is: should I:
    1) leave their stuff on the counter and only return mine to the fridge
    2) return all the stuff but leave a note asking whoever it is to move their stuff

I am doing a big shop tonight so definitely need my space back soon!

Thanks xxxx
    Get it back or they will start claiming it there's. Plus fridge is for everyone, not just themselves hence in our place, we assigned each person a shelf so it restricts the limit per person can buy but everyone is contributed each space equally so there was no arguments in that matter.

Whatever is on your shelf, really, its a gift for you, free food and drinks. Go and help yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tknight7)
    So that's where i'm going wrong..............

Must....resist.....urge.....to.. ...make......sexual.......joke.. ....
    I don't see what's remotely funny about potentially being raped by uni cleaners :cool:...but if you're that desperate:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    In my house, everyone just puts their stuff wherever they can in the fridge and that's one fridge between 5 people... saves a lot of arguments on "this is MY shelf for MY stuff, put yours on YOUR shelf" tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Put it back in. Try talk to them, if they don't respond leave a note. If they haven't moved their stuff by the time you do your shop take the stuff out, but try to only move stuff that isn't excessively perishable (basically no dairy products / salad).

Another option is to freeze their stuff is there is excess room in the freezer. Milk for instance is fine for freezing, as is any cooked food. Don't freeze thawed meat, vegetables or cheese/yogurt.

(Original post by blinkbelle)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyshamblesxx)
    In my house, everyone just puts their stuff wherever they can in the fridge and that's one fridge between 5 people... saves a lot of arguments on "this is MY shelf for MY stuff, put yours on YOUR shelf" tbh.
    That might work in your house, but I'm living with 5 strangers, 2 of which are messy and have pretty much taken over the entire kitchen. One shelf each is actually less than we're entitled to - the 2 problematic girls have 2 shelves each and then the rest of us have to have 1 each. I don't want to give up that final bit of space I have!

ReputationRep:
    Number 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    I don't see what's remotely funny about potentially being raped by uni cleaners :cool:...but if you're that desperate:rolleyes:

I dont want to talk about it....

ReputationRep:
    Normally I'd say put stuff where it'll fit, but they sound like ***** so throw their **** in the bin. If they knock on your door to ask you can ignore them or if they confront you outside your room be like "oh! I thought you could do with a bit of weight loss". You're moving away so don't feel obliged to put up with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyshamblesxx)
    Same here; but it's 6 people. There are two people who insist on doing a monthly shop every month. One of them was moaning about lack of space in the fridge. Well, she does insist on buying a lot of stuff. The other person has a habit of cooking a load of stuff and putting it in huge tupperware boxes, so there's no room in the fridge - he does that with the freezer too.

Meanwhile, I'm fighting for space to put my stuff in there. (usually a tub of yoghurt, butter, cheese, a pint of milk and a few small tubs of cooked stuff)

To make everything slightly worse, someone who doesn't live here stores their food in the fridge too.:rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Titch89)
    To make everything slightly worse, someone who doesn't live here stores their food in the fridge too. :rolleyes:
    Same here. One flatmate's boyfriend uses our fridge and freezer as his own, and despite sleeping at his place, he has nothing there whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    Talk to them about it, if they ignore you just shove it all onto the nearest surface. You should definitely consider buying a mini fridge though.

ReputationRep:
    Our house has two fridges, in the one I use, a guy has taken up two of the three shelves and both of the vegetable drawers...and he still tries to put stuff on my shelf :rolleyes:

I just leave it until I have stuff to put in, then I just move it back on to one of his shelves. If there wasn't space, I'd probably just leave it out, he already has more than enough space.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You posted this same thing 2 days ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post23361800

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestie)
    You posted this same thing 2 days ago: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post23361800
    I posted this 2 days ago! I made a thread because nobody was responding to the other one. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ewan)

Another option is to freeze their stuff is there is excess room in the freezer. Milk for instance is fine for freezing, as is any cooked food. Don't freeze thawed meat, vegetables or cheese/yogurt.
    Freezing block cheese is fine - it's cheaper to buy a big pack and cut it into portions to freeze.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grotbag)
    Freezing block cheese is fine - it's cheaper to buy a big pack and cut it into portions to freeze.
    Really? My stuff always goes white where it is frozen, does that fade if you leave it out?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Ewan)
    Really? My stuff always goes white where it is frozen, does that fade if you leave it out?
    Once it defrosts it returns to normal colour.

ReputationRep:
    does everyone have this gay one shelf rule, or do anyones housemates just chill and put things where ever

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.