Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I understand that these are paid by one's LEA - how exactly is this organised/configured or does it just happen?

ReputationRep:
    If you're a home student, then you don't have to pay college fees. You never even have to think about them. They only apply to internationals

ReputationRep:
    Do I still have to apply through Student Finance for anything?
    I probably won't be getting a student loan; would you imagine that that might affect my application in any way?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, yes, you have to apply through Student Finance no matter what, because otherwise you WILL be paying college fees. Why won't you be getting a student loan? It's very very rare that there's a good reason not to - it's normally a misunderstanding of the system that leads to people choosing to do that. But yes, no matter what you do, you have to apply through student finance, otherwise you'll get a bill of about £15,000.

ReputationRep:
    If you're from Austria, that qualifies you as an EU student, which means you have a Home Student status for fees, so you don't have to pay college fees. As an EU student you can also apply for UK student loans, but be sure to check with your own government: the Dutch government gives me money but only on the condition I don't take any money from other governments.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not actually from Austria - I'm an Austrian Jew by origin but really I'm English (mostly.) Thanks for the heads-up though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezzler)
    Oh, yes, you have to apply through Student Finance no matter what, because otherwise you WILL be paying college fees. Why won't you be getting a student loan? It's very very rare that there's a good reason not to - it's normally a misunderstanding of the system that leads to people choosing to do that. But yes, no matter what you do, you have to apply through student finance, otherwise you'll get a bill of about £15,000.
    Could you explain why it's a misunderstanding of the system?

I get that it's interest free (i.e. just inflation), but there's still the risk of inflation being higher than interest rates and for EU students there's the risk of currency fluctuations making their loan bigger.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)

I get that it's interest free (i.e. just inflation), but there's still the risk of inflation being higher than interest rates and for EU students there's the risk of currency fluctuations making their loan bigger.
    I think what he meant was that unless you happen to be so comfortably well-off you have that sort of money available anyway, a student loan offers the best conditions you're going to get. Even if it isn't completely interest-free.
    As for currency fluctuations making loans bigger, I don't really see how that would work, because your loan won't be converted into euros (or whichever other currency you're using) at any point. It will be paid straight into your / your college's UK bank account.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    I think what he meant was that unless you happen to be so comfortably well-off you have that sort of money available anyway, a student loan offers the best conditions you're going to get. Even if it isn't completely interest-free.
    As for currency fluctuations making loans bigger, I don't really see how that would work, because your loan won't be converted into euros (or whichever other currency you're using) at any point. It will be paid straight into your / your college's UK bank account.
    I was looking at it from the perspective of using existing money (like the OP seems to want to do) compared to taking out a loan and using the existing money and earn interest.

ReputationRep:

I'm sorry, I was assuming for home students there. I haven't looked into the best options for EU students, it's pretty impossible to predict, because like you said there's the risk of currency fluctuations. However, I doubt that these would be so big that the loan would get unmanageable, especially with the pound so weak at the moment.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I was looking at it from the perspective of using existing money (like the OP seems to want to do) compared to taking out a loan and using the existing money and earn interest.
    But the OP is a home student. And I did say that matters might be different if you wouldn't actually need a loan in order to get hold of that sort of money. Most people do, though, so it's really just a choice between getting the money via a student loan and getting it via another type of loan, and as far as I understand, the condtions you'll get for other loans will nearly always be worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    But the OP is a home student. And I did say that matters might be different if you wouldn't actually need a loan in order to get hold of that sort of money. Most people do, though, so it's really just a choice between getting the money via a student loan and getting it via another type of loan, and as far as I understand, the condtions you'll get for other loans will nearly always be worse.
    Sorry, I misread.

ReputationRep:
    For a variety of reasons, I will not need to take out any kind of loan. Does this mean that my 'free' College Fees are somehow negated, and if so, would I need to take out a 'faux' student loan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kuntimagee)
    For a variety of reasons, I will not need to take out any kind of loan. Does this mean that my 'free' College Fees are somehow negated, and if so, would I need to take out a 'faux' student loan?
    You still need to register with student finance as a home student funded by the LEA or whoever it is that does it. You just tickk the box on the form that says you do not need a student loan.

Edit: To expand on what I just said, there are basically three elements of funding:
    1 - Payment of large chunk of university fees.
    2 - Loan for top up fees, your funding authority pays these up front and charges you the loan.
    3 - Maintenance grant/loan.

You just want the first one, but to get any of them you have to register.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.