Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GP's encouraging people to get fatter to qualify for weight loss surgery. Watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...unethical.html

NHS trusts , for good reason frowning on funding those who cannot control themselves. I would like to see them frown more so on other people taking the piss, but this is a good start.

GP's however are encouraging these people to get fatter to qualify, obviously by saying this,they could well make the persons situation worse, as well as taking funds from more deserving people.

Why has it got to the stage the NHS is picking up the pieces after someones lifestyle choice? Personally the government should be punishing these GP's doing this, perhaps sacking them.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I can see why they're doing it but it's not worth the risk if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    It's the daily mail. Don't expect too much

I think the point of weight loss surgery is that it's only meant to be given to those who have proven that they can change their lifestyle by LOOSING weight, not GAINING it.

Yes. They should be punished.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)

Why has it got to the stage the NHS is picking up the pieces after someones lifestyle choice? Personally the government should be punishing these GP's doing this, perhaps sacking them.
    It's a GP's job to act in the best interest of their patient, not someone who isn't that might or might not deserve it more. If that means suggesting something slightly immoral or unconvential then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    Some people are convinced that weight loss surgery is the easy option, the easy way out of obesity.

They should be deterred from this and encouraged to lose weight the old fashioned way.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how anyone can be eligible for weight loss surgery. Losing weight is not complicated, its just hard work

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.