Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    I am putting the work in. It's just unfair that I'm in such a poor position and I can't afford to make any mistakes in an exam.
    It's not unfair. It's your fault if you don't get the grades. Glasgow can't just lower them for you!
    You need to get rid of your "Poor Me" attitude. Thousands of people are applying to uni this year, there are a lot of people in worse off positions.
    Glasgow is an excellent uni, maybe you're not good enough?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have the grades for my first choice this yet, so I'm working hard to get these grades and worrying too.
    Right so you're offer will be ABB. How is there no room for error there?
    You're sitting 3 exams. One question will not ruin your grade for that paper. What will is not working hard enough or simply not being capable of the grade.
    What you can do is work harder than you have been (even if that's been hard) so that come exam time no matter what comes up you can say you gave it your all and enjoy the rest of your one chance at life.

ReputationRep:
    I am putting the work in. It's just unfair that I'm in such a poor position and I can't afford to make any mistakes in an exam.
    You're right. Nobody else has ever been in that position, we can't understand how you feel. We just all got free passes to uni, after all

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand how you position is poor? Everyone else with conditional offers will have to work to get the grades to get into Glasgow. You're in the same position as loads of people so instead of whining, get your head down and you'll have a better chance of sucseeding!

Look, my first year of doing A levels was almost completely wasted. I picked 5 subjects:

Further Maths, Maths, English Lit, Economics, Turkish.

I was kicked out of Further Maths because they didn't want me there. I dropped English Literature and Economics after I found out I didn't like them. And I also dropped Turkish because I found the classes too boring.

So after my first year all I came out with was a C in AS Maths and an E in AS Economics.

At this stage I was thinking that there was no way I'd be able to get into any university. I was on the point of breakdown. But I managed to come up with a plan.

I continued Mathematics into A2 and resat all of the AS's. By January I got A's in 2 AS modules and 1 A2 module of Mathematics.

I took up Religious Studies and General Studies, and bla bla bla......I can't be bothered to continue the story anymore, but I'm sure you can now understand how I'm at a severe disadvantage.

I don't want you to cry for me, nor do I want you to hug me. All I want is for you all to understand rather than patronise me.

ReputationRep:
    Do not panic!

The application period is over and you should get an answer (offer, or no offer) soon.

Let's wait an see what will happen.

ReputationRep:
    Look, my first year of doing A levels was almost completely wasted. I picked 5 subjects:

Further Maths, Maths, English Lit, Economics, Turkish.

I was kicked out of Further Maths because they didn't want me there. I dropped English Literature and Economics after I found out I didn't like them. And I also dropped Turkish because I found the classes too boring.

So after my first year all I came out with was a C in AS Maths and an E in AS Economics.

At this stage I was thinking that there was no way I'd be able to get into any university. I was on the point of breakdown. But I managed to come up with a plan.

I continued Mathematics into A2 and resat all of the AS's. By January I got A's in 2 AS modules and 1 A2 module of Mathematics.

I took up Religious Studies and General Studies, and bla bla bla......I can't be bothered to continue the story anymore, but I'm sure you can now understand how I'm at a severe disadvantage.

I don't want you to cry for me, nor do I want you to hug me. All I want is for you all to understand rather than patronise me.
    Oh, come on! You want us to feel sorry for you because you dropped your subjects because you were bored in class?! Everyone gets bored in class!

You need to have a positive attitude, not just to get into uni, but to do well in life! You're going to be miserable forever if you keep acting like you're so hard done by.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't get in, go somewhere else for a year, try for good grades there and then transfer - I mean really it's not that difficult...

And glasgow courses are hard - for mine they wanted AAABB minimum highers at a single sitting - I got AAAAA and I'm still behind a lot of people in my year.
    Man up, get out there and work - if you can't hack the pressure of getting into the course, chances are you won't handle the course itself. That's why the entry requirements are as they are.

ReputationRep:
    I dropped 3/5 subjects because they were boring and I didn't like them. Pity me
    No

ReputationRep:
    God, if that's your attitude Uni is going to be a shock. It's a massive step up from school, not necessarily in the actual content you are taught, but just having to work in a completely different way.

And if you don't get into Glasgow, it's not the end of the world.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 26, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.