Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it posible to teach your self the entire A2, starting now to take in june and get a B/A? If so which exam bords are the best for materials and resources. Also which exam bords the easies?

ReputationRep:
    Are you doing any other subjects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by style)
    Is it posible to teach your self the entire A2, starting now to take in june and get a B/A? If so which exam bords are the best for materials and resources. Also which exam bords the easies?
    What do you mean teach yourself A2 and asking what the easiest exam board is. You must have done AS with an exam board and you must carry on with that same exam board. If you haven't done AS then you can't do A2 yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by style)
    No and you're crazy for wanting to try. There is so much to learn and know

ReputationRep:
    Don't do OCR. I repeat, DON'T.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    K
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I do AQA and my teacher is awful so I sit there and just read the book as he's rambling on. So yeah, you can self teach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by style)
    I do OCR Economics! [F581 and F582 are AS, F583 or F584 and F585 for A2]
    I really enjoy my teachers lessons, he is so funny! But.. I would still have got B (f581) and A (f582) even if he weren't teaching me. All you really need is the text book. I didn't turn up to any of the many revision classes for the second module, and instead I used the official OCR textbook, and videos on youtube for help! There are professional teachers that teach Economics on youtube, and they do it simply and in a short time. I would recommend this to anyone for concepts and main theories!
    I like the youtube user PajHolden which I used for my AS modules.
    If you feel like you can self-study you should go for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by style)
    Although I found OCR easy, a lot of people in my class found it really difficult. So I guess what exam board you choose is up to you, but OCR worked out for me.

ReputationRep:
    I think you could. All I do in Economics is copy down notes that she prints off and then leave. I could easily do this at home with the textbook and syllabus.

ReputationRep:
    It would be possible to self teach since the theory is pretty straight forward. What might be tricky though is learning how to evaluate your answers. Since Economics (especially Edexcel) is famous for the value it places upon evaluating your answers, you may need a little input from a teacher to know how to go about doing it effectively. Some people find it easy though; however a number find it difficult.
    As for the exam board, I'm only familiar with Edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    Can you tell me why please? because I'm about to pick it and 90% the course board is going to be OCR

ReputationRep:
    I did AQA, and it was easy...............

ReputationRep:
    Do you have an AS in it? Because as mentioned above, you're bound to that exam board to do the A2, or alternatively redo the AS under a different board to then do the A2.

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying the AS at the moment.
    Will probably self-teach myself the A2 as well over the came period of learning AS. Hopefully having already done f581 I'll have sufficient knowledge to start learning some A2 now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skaterkid)
    Can you tell me why please? because I'm about to pick it and 90% the course board is going to be OCR
    Its horrible!
    Apparently it is the hardest exam board for Economics, its unpopular (most economists do Edexcel), there isn't as much of a variety of books/revision guides and its hard to get hold on past papers.
    Its just horrid

(Original post by style)
    I self taught the full A Level for Edexcel Economics about 2 years back. I had a look through some exam papers from other boards when I did my exam and for me Edexcel seemed like the easier board. The exams have changed since I took it with the move from 6 units to 4 so I'm not sure about the syllabus. Most of the work I did revolved around reading the textbook (the Alain Anderton book) making some notes if needed, and doing past papers to perfect exam technique.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.