Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i need some help on cheap but decent looking cars to drive.
    Cheap tax and insurance would be awesome!

I would love a peugeot 106 1.1L or a ford encore 1.3L, which one would be cheaper to drive?

I dont have that much of an income, but enough to have a cheap car to run around.

I would just be me on the insurance, mum doesnt drive and my dad lives hours away.

I search on gumtree.com but are their any other goos websites, im situated in the crewe, cheshire area.

Any feedback, much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Buying a car won't be too bad, it'll be the insurance that smacks you in the mouth and steals your wallet.

Peugot 106's hav a bad rep for reliabilty, whereas fords as usually ok

ReputationRep:
    They should both cost roughly the same to run I would have thought. As the chap above said insurance will probably be the biggest problem.

I like Fiesta's but be careful of rust on the older ones as they are known for it. The 106's are galvanised so are unlikely to rust as bad.
    Lots of people slate French cars but with the 106 there is very little to go wrong and if anything does it can be fixed very cheaply and easily with parts from a scrapyard. I had a Citroen AX (almost the same as 106) for years, very little went wrong and its still running fine now. My brother also has a 306 and has had no problems with that either. I think providing they are serviced and looked after properly they are no worse than any other car.

If you are looking at 106's you might also like the Saxo as it is essentially the same car.
    My personal preference would be the Fiesta but only if it was in good condition, no rust and no loud tapping engine.

ReputationRep:
    Dont look on gumtree for cars. Use autotrader or even ebay.

ReputationRep:
    If you can find a pug 205 in good condition they are great. No fancy stuff but then theres a lot less to go wrong. They are easy to work on and spares are easy to get hold of!

ReputationRep:
    i personally wouldn't touch ebay for a car, unless it was a classified ad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pumpkin7)
    i personally wouldn't touch ebay for a car, unless it was a classified ad.

Suit yourself, but we've had some really good cars from ebay for far less than they're worth. You just have to be careful and check them out before you buy them, as with any car.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.