Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about applying to oxford for maths but my GCSE's really aren't upto standard (In fact an A for maths) however I think in my AS I can really get good results in Further and maths. So if my mathematical ability is brilliant and I ace the admission test ( ) will oxford really pay any attention to GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    Getting an A in GCSE maths and 70 is M1 isn't really indicative of someone of Oxford standard for maths. No harm in giving it a shot though if you put lots of extra work in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie10538)
    Getting an A in GCSE maths and 70 is M1 isn't really indicative of someone of Oxford standard for maths. No harm in giving it a shot though if you put lots of extra work in.
    Bu-but M1 isn't my strong point. Come on if I get 80 and 80 for M2 but I get 100 for FP1, S1, C1, C2 then obviously it more than makes up for the grades in M1. Besides the admission test is all about core isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    I'm thinking about applying to oxford for maths but my GCSE's really aren't upto standard (In fact an A for maths) however I think in my AS I can really get good results in Further and maths. So if my mathematical ability is brilliant and I ace the admission test ( ) will oxford really pay any attention to GCSE's?
    Give it a go! What's the worst that'll happen - you wont get in?? Big deal, it's only a University at the end of the day and if you really do like Maths, then it shouldn't be the end of the world...and I assume you must be really into your maths...although not as much as me :ninja: and I don't even want to do maths :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    but it's alsot the fact there'll be a 1000 people who get 99% in every modual at a level and also have a* gcse

ReputationRep:
    What Jfranny said, but do it if you really want to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jfranny)
    but it's alsot the fact there'll be a 1000 people who get 99% in every modual at a level and also have a* gcse
    Ah-ha. But Oxford don't look at module scores so even if I get 80% and am predicted an A in Further and an A* in Maths I don't think it'll matter.

ReputationRep:
    Ah-ha. But Oxford don't look at module scores so even if I get 80% and am predicted an A in Further and an A* in Maths I don't think it'll matter.
    i imagine every applicant who recieves an offer from oxbridge is predicted an A* in Maths.

isn't oxbridge's maths offer A*AA A* in FM anyway + the STEP

ReputationRep:
    With that attitude of yours I don't think you will even get an interview.

ReputationRep:
    They won't reject you on the grounds that you got an A at GCSE and 70 on M1; but someone who get's in will have the ability which means they will get higher grades than that and this is the ability that will get them the place when it shines through in interview and the test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jfranny)
    isn't oxbridge's maths offer A*AA A* in FM anyway + the STEP
    As far as I'm aware, Oxford's offer is still AAA, with no STEP.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford's offers are all AAA and step isn't included, definitely.

If you're barely getting a B in M1, even if you do somehow get in, you'll really struggle, because pure maths students have to do things like dynamics in their first year. Something must have gone seriously wrong for somebody who's good enough to get into Oxford for maths to have got an A at GCSE - like somebody else said, it's not a case that it's grounds for rejection in itself, but it's not indicative of you having the best mathematical ability, I'm afraid.

That said, you could still give it a shot. You'd have to do very well in the test to get an interview, though.

ReputationRep:
    somebody i know got an A in gcse maths (and retook it, and still got an A) and got an offer from merton college there for maths
    but 70 in M1 might bring you down a bit
    but tbhs if you've got a spare space (like for universities) you might as well try

ReputationRep:
    But maybe I will actually get a good score on M1? After all I find M1 somewhat easy but I just panicked in the exam, besides I can also retake in June, however I feel that my core skills (or shall I say the 'real' maths) skills are very you know top notch.

ReputationRep:
    What are your GCSEs exactly?

And the 70 in M1 wont matter if you still get an A at AS (and in FM as too) and predicted A/A*. But dont put off the mechanics, if you do get around that you should do some extra work/get a high mark in M2 (alot of mechanics is covered in the first year at most universities I think).

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it make more sense to actually wait for your marks before talking about your admission prospects?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Bu-but M1 isn't my strong point. Come on if I get 80 and 80 for M2 but I get 100 for FP1, S1, C1, C2 then obviously it more than makes up for the grades in M1. Besides the admission test is all about core isn't it?
    If you can only get 70 in M1 but manage to get 80 in M2 I'll give you the offer myself...
    But on a more serious note there's no harm in applying if you really want to apply...just don't be too disappointed if you don't get in, make sure your other 4 choices are places you like as well and really want to go to, and at least one that you're almost certain to get in to in case all goes wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skipp)
    If you can only get 70 in M1 but manage to get 80 in M2 I'll give you the offer myself...
    But on a more serious note there's no harm in applying if you really want to apply...just don't be too disappointed if you don't get in, make sure your other 4 choices are places you like as well and really want to go to, and at least one that you're almost certain to get in to in case all goes wrong...
    Yeah so far my in my rough sketch of my UCAS application I'm thinking about these choices:

Exeter -maths
    Cass- Actuarial
    Oxford - maths and stats
    Warwick- Maths or MMORSE
    Bath- maths.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.