Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What type of tasks does it involve?
    How long would they expect you to volunteer for, as in months-wise?
    Do they usually take student volunteers on?

I cant think of anymore questions right now..

I was a volunteer there for a year. Normally they will ask you to volunteer for two days a week but if you are a student they will allow one. There is no minimum time but For the experience to be beneficial i reckon you need to stay for at least 9 months otherwise you won't have seen clients which is the whole point of the experience.
    It's quite demanding but hugely rewarding, i loved it ( and going back to my bureau as soon as...)

the first part of the training consist of packs you do on areas such as law, immigration, benefits, housing... that can take up a few month, your answers book needs to be approuved and signed off. in addition you can have face to face training.
    Then you will have to book an interview skills training, that's 4 full days during which you learn how to deal with client and mock interviews.
    Next step is 2 or 3 supervised interviews and...
    you can see clients of your own!
    at this stage you still need to be supervised, some more packs and work needs to be completed and approuved to be a qualified adviser.

Client work goes as follow:
    you interview C, find out what the problem is and what C wants to achieve
    you then research the problem on the information system,
    present all the options to C, help him decide
    draw an action plan,
    empower him to act/ act on his behalf ,
    arrange for a follow up, C leaves.
    Record the case on CASE

it's great experience, go for it!
How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.