Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What are the most Irish populated Regions/Cities in England?

England only.

ReputationRep:
    To what generation?

Direct Irish? Second/third-generation? Historic?

In any case, I'd say Liverpool, but London and Bristol both have substantial Irish-descended populations. Around a quarter of the English population has some Irish descent, so most places will have some degree of Irish ancestry.

ReputationRep:
    Manchester, especially moss side

ReputationRep:
    Was thinking mainly direct and 2nd/3rd generation

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool and Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham has a lot of Irish people. I myself am 3rd generation .I would also say that Glasgow has lots too. My Grandad was born in Coatbridge ( of Irish parents) and it used to be called "Little Ireland" back then because of the amount of Irish residents.

ReputationRep:
    I suppose Liverpool or Manchester.

Basically, anywhere along the west coast, including harbours and ports.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool, very much so. Followed by Birmingham and surrounding areas - Coventry weirdly enough because of the engineering employment that boomed there decades ago.

ReputationRep:
    I'm second generation Irish

Liverpool or Manchester

ReputationRep:
    So the North West and the West Midlands? I may be wrong but does Birmingham have the biggest St Patricks day parade aside from Dublin and NY ?

ReputationRep:
    London, I'd say it was Liverpool/Manchester a decade or so ago but not now, as with the prevelance of cheap flights the shift has changed.

From my experience in England thus far Plymouth has quite a lot of Irish, as does Cambridge. The easiest way to find out the answer would be to go to a pub on Paddy's Day and ask who is Irish. Or would it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iamjeeniuz)
    So the North West and the West Midlands? I may be wrong but does Birmingham have the biggest St Patricks day parade aside from Dublin and NY ?
    Heres a wiki about it.

It says Liverpool has the largest per-capita Irish population of any English city.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Manchester for numbers, Liverpool for density

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool and Kilburn/Neasden/Cricklewood in London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Heres a wiki about it.

It says Liverpool has the largest per-capita Irish population of any English city.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    i d say , liverpool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    London, I'd say it was Liverpool/Manchester a decade or so ago but not now, as with the prevelance of cheap flights the shift has changed.

From my experience in England thus far Plymouth has quite a lot of Irish, as does Cambridge. The easiest way to find out the answer would be to go to a pub on Paddy's Day and ask who is Irish. Or would it?
    Not really as everyone is Irish on St Patricks day :p:

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is well known for it's Irish St Patrick's day parade, which is, I think the largest outside of New York, and not Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is the biggest outside of New York. Levenshulme in Manchester has the largest Irish population outside of London.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    Not really as everyone is Irish on St Patricks day :p:
    I know that, believe me! I can't stand the top hats people wear on the day, and would love to burn the whole frickin lot of them! The hats, not the people that wear them!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.