Turn on thread page Beta

Dementia and Alzheimers watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Im doing a presentation on health promotions and I have chosen dementia, basically I just want your views on whether you think society knows enough about the effects of dementia, what to do if you suspect someone has it and how to treat a person that is suffering from it.

I want to know whether you feel it is publicised enough and do we, as a nation, know enough about the disease. Do you think there is enough about it in the media to draw peoples awareness to it?

Just to hear some view points will be very helpful.

Thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    If we suspect a patient has suspected dementia in the care setting, first thing I'd do as a nurse would be to talk with people who know them best, ie are they usually like this, have you noticed any changes, what have they discussed with you etc, as they're the people who know the person best, for example a patient asked me when her mum was arriving (she was in her late 60's so..i wasn't 100% sure whether the mother was dead/alive..what!, however the mother had died when the patient was in her twenties, i found this out by discussing it with the family)

Finally, a doctor or senior nurse may do an asessment of their mental wellbeing, such as knowledge, ability to retain information etc and a referral and care/treatment plan may be made with the mental health team in the trust who deal with elderly mental health problems.

As for treatment, there are a variety of methods, care plans are the most common and drawn up by a nurse who'll maybe sort out full time carers, sometimes they make signs and symbols around the house, or encourage the patient to keep a diary, or 'memory box'. There is also therapies used to stimulate the memory and also to deal with the side effects of dementia such as depression, agression etc.

As for the medical treatment, these aren't so popular but are used alongside therapies now and again, AI's are used now and again with alzhiemers disease- Here's a link to the BNF about them, you may need registration to view it though (however if you're in healthcare its worth having anyway) http://bnf.org/bnf/bnf/58/61145.htm

As for awareness, well dementia and elderly care is one of the most undersourced areas of public health in the UK, which is disgusting. It IS getting better, but slowly but as it's also a major private industry they need to pick up the mark aswell. Although there are new campaigns by the charity 'mind' which are promoting taking away the stigma of mental health, and dementia and alzheimers is part of this

On another side note, a presentation on health promotion..dementia and alzhimers is a very tricky one to do, i'd certainly suggest another topic, maybe mens health, sexual health, childrens obesity..alcohol intake. Something which is a primary area of public health?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bekio)
    Hi everyone,
    Im doing a presentation on health promotions and I have chosen dementia, basically I just want your views on whether you think society knows enough about the effects of dementia, what to do if you suspect someone has it and how to treat a person that is suffering from it.
    I want to know whether you feel it is publicised enough and do we, as a nation, know enough about the disease. Do you think there is enough about it in the media to draw peoples awareness to it?

Just to hear some view points will be very helpful.

Thanks for your help

No, I don't think people know enough about it - they ignore it and think it's mainly really old people that get it but some people can start with it quite young! and it can't affect those around them, it's very very sad.

I work as a care assistant atm, and every morning I get a person up who has Alzheimers - she is quite a bad case.Her daughter doesn't visit anymore because she doesn't know who she is. You can hardly have a conversation with her. She is left to sleep in as she can get angry if woken, and absolutely hates water! so its incredibly hard getting her to have a wash! Somedays we have to leave it because she can throw stuff and be quite agressive/angry.
    She can also be so sweet though and acts like a child ( she loves her teddies and always hugs them) and likes giving people hugs and holding there hand!

It's hard to get her to sit down at the table for dinner as she will stand there confused saying ' where am i? what shall i do? ' and act very confused. So I have to repeat it several times before she sits down. I normally say 'ready, 1,2,3! and she counts with me and that does the trick!'

People with Alzheimers have a weird thing with music - it must jog their memory - as one of the other staff member sings this song with her and she knows the words! So she has 60s music played to settle her when she's confused. It must help in some way!

We also have another woman who has dementia/alzheimers but she is very different - she actually used to be a mental health nurse! you can have a good conversation with her and she is quite upbeat - always laughing but comes out with strange sayings and will repeat stuff again and again. She will get up from her seat with her handbag and say 'I want to go to the shop' she does that several times a day... but really means she wants some chocolate from the fridge which I give to her and she always says 'how much will it cost' She often has a very confused look on her face aswel and somtimes doesn't eat. She first came into the home because she simply forgot to eat and got down to 6stone!

So everyone with Dementia/Alzheimers are different.

There are many different cases in which people can have dementia - like a stroke. Which many people don't know.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.