Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving Stress - Bus Lanes and Fog Lights! watch

ReputationRep:
    i believe u can get done for mis-use of fog lights cos they obscure the brake lights

i hate the mis-use of lane thing but sometimes u just forget to turn the fogs off, or leave them on when turning main lights off, when u put mains back on again, the fogs automatically come on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clubber Lang)
    you can...!

http://www.cwn.org.uk/999/west-midla...fog-lights.htm
    As a general rule though, unless the police are feeling particularly nasty, it is very unlikely!

Nice find though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Yes but brighter.

Some cars are fitted with front fog lights below the headlights. Although these are a sorry excuse for fog lights and are more likely to be driving lights.
    I'm fairly sure there is actually a distinction between front fog lights and driving lights below the main headlights.

For instance, my clio has front fog lights below the headlights that turn on separately and are noticably brighter, whereas if I remember correctly mini coopers have very small round lights at the front that are extra driving lights..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    I'm fairly sure there is actually a distinction between front fog lights and driving lights below the main headlights.

For instance, my clio has front fog lights below the headlights that turn on separately and are noticably brighter, whereas if I remember correctly mini coopers have very small round lights at the front that are extra driving lights..
    yeh, basically if the front fog lights turn on seperately to the main beam then they are fog lights, if not they are driving lights.

Now I know most of cars have "fog lights" at the front, but seriously? They are tiny and sweet FA in the fog. And then in normal conditions some of them just dazzle, not all, depends on the car, usually French ones.

So I don't really class most front fogs as front fog lights, they may be called it in name but they do nothing.

These are front fog lights:-

!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    yeh, basically if the front fog lights turn on seperately to the main beam then they are fog lights, if not they are driving lights.

Now I know most of cars have "fog lights" at the front, but seriously? They are tiny and sweet FA in the fog. And then in normal conditions some of them just dazzle, not all, depends on the car, usually French ones.

So I don't really class most front fogs as front fog lights, they may be called it in name but they do nothing.

These are front fog lights:-

!!!
    Haha, technically they'd be pretty rubbish 'fog lights' because the roof lights are too high. Fog lights are meant to be low to cut under the fog. On the other hand, nowadays the terms 'fog lights' or 'spot lights' are used to define what the beam pattern is. The lights on that Discovery look like a mix of the two. The middle pair on the roof rack look like fog lights and the outer pair fog lights, but I could be entirely wrong. Not sure about the bumper lights. The difference between the two are that fog lights have a very wide beam pattern that doesn't penetrate very far. Spot lights on the other hand have very long, thin beams that shoot like pencil lines through the air.

Driving lights are lights that come on with the main beam, and you can set up either fogs or spots like this. If you want your lights to be on all the time, not just on full beam they need to have 50W bulbs or less and this obviously is pretty rubbish and doesn't do much at all. For this reason I have both my fog and spot lights come on with my main beam and have 100W bulbs in all of them.

The rectangular ones on the roof rack are fog lights and give definition to the hedge each side for about 10 meters. The two round ones on the bumper are spotlights and will light up anything up to a good 100m away, if not further. The reason I have these lights was proven when in the snow I had a short and I either had no lights or full beam. I chose full beam as the lesser evil and no one flashed us for blinding them :awesome:

I don't see much bus lane misuse around here, but I see people driving around in total ignorance with their fog lights on all the time :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _KilgoreTrout_)
    Fool, fog lights make your car look better.

I had to drive around for a little while with mine on since one of my head lights was out. Felt like a right ****.
    no, you are a right ****, replacing a headlight bulb is a simple task in the vastest majority of cars

and by the way your car was unroadworthy during that period, giving the police a wonderful excuse to pull you , VDRS or report you for the light out, report you for the misuse of foglights and generally have some fun with you should you have failed the rattus rattus RAT

ReputationRep:
    I find it particularily annoying as I drive such a low car, and get blinded quite easily... so i have resorted to accepting it

ReputationRep:
    it's amazing how many cars are still driving around with a headlight missing, or both in some cases.
    misalighned headlights are so annoying! i get blinded all the time from tailgaters and people on the opposite side of the road... why are these not being fixed at MoT time?? ergh.
    and people leaving rear fog lights... ARGH. yet if a police car drives past, they usually ignore them. i have front fog lights, and only use them in fog, and for driving down narrow country lanes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    no, you are a right ****, replacing a headlight bulb is a simple task in the vastest majority of cars

and by the way your car was unroadworthy during that period, giving the police a wonderful excuse to pull you , VDRS or report you for the light out, report you for the misuse of foglights and generally have some fun with you should you have failed the rattus rattus RAT
    Are you disabled? It was late so the shops were shut and I didn't have any spare, I drove to my dad's house, then I drove back home, then the next day I drove to the shop and got some bulbs.

I know my car was unroadworthy but I didn't get caught so **** you fool. lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)

I don't know if you've ever tried to replace a headlight bulb in a Micra? You've obviously not if you way they are easy to replace. I had a blown bulb a while back and since it was about 10pm it was very dark. Since I had a spare bulb with me and I was aware of it being out, I tried to replace it.

I couldn't. The clip that holds it in place wouldn't release. Since I was covered by a break down service I phoned them out after about half an hour of struggling. The guy on the other end of the phone couldn't believe the reason for the call out. Neither could the recovery driver - until he had a go. He eventually gave up trying to get the clip out and removed the indicator panel to remove the headlight fitting. About an hour after he arrived he finally got it out and popped the spare in.

On the day of my exam I had a blown headlight bulb and I could only get the ultra-bright bulbs from halfords - which you need to replace in pairs. So I was able to do the near side bulb no bother, but the off side was impossible and I had to remove the fitting.

I gather this is the norm with many modern cars. I now carry a spare bulb, 10mm spanner, mirror, and a large blanket to put under the car while changing the bulbs.

At least he was driving with extra lights so he could be seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    I don't know if you've ever tried to replace a headlight bulb in a Micra? You've obviously not if you way they are easy to replace. I had a blown bulb a while back and since it was about 10pm it was very dark. Since I had a spare bulb with me and I was aware of it being out, I tried to replace it.

I couldn't. The clip that holds it in place wouldn't release. Since I was covered by a break down service I phoned them out after about half an hour of struggling. The guy on the other end of the phone couldn't believe the reason for the call out. Neither could the recovery driver - until he had a go. He eventually gave up trying to get the clip out and removed the indicator panel to remove the headlight fitting. About an hour after he arrived he finally got it out and popped the spare in.

On the day of my exam I had a blown headlight bulb and I could only get the ultra-bright bulbs from halfords - which you need to replace in pairs. So I was able to do the near side bulb no bother, but the off side was impossible and I had to remove the fitting.

I gather this is the norm with many modern cars. I now carry a spare bulb, 10mm spanner, mirror, and a large blanket to put under the car while changing the bulbs.

At least he was driving with extra lights so he could be seen.
    That is true, the Ford Ka is even worse.

It is normally better on bigger cars where you have more space to maneuver, but yeh small cars are a absolute ***** to change the headlight bulbs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    That is true, the Ford Ka is even worse.

It is normally better on bigger cars where you have more space to maneuver, but yeh small cars are a absolute ***** to change the headlight bulbs.
    Yep, my dad had an Octavia that kept burning out the pound shop's headlights (which later turned out to be plastic - not glass) and he could do it with no mirrors, removal of the fitting. I'm very tempted to get halfords to fit the Micra's bulb next time. Just to make them earn their money!

ReputationRep:
    Took me less than 2 mins to change a headlight on my clio, but it was just a clip out job..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yeah fog lights are annoying as, so pointless most of the time. But not as bad as knobs who sit at 30 in a 60 zone for twenty mins because it's raining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielNewton)
    Bus lanes; Last night when sitting waiting in traffic for 20 mins I saw 12 other cars flying down the bus lane and pushing in at the bottom of the line even though its clearly marked no cars allowed during those hours - I don't understand these people, do they think there better than the rest of us or something?
    Of course they think they are better than everyone else which is exactly why they are doing it!!

The solution is never let them in EVER. Same with que jumpers

Oh and give way line "crawlers" who think crawling over give way lines at 1mph to force you to stop!! I never let them in!! I can understand if its queing traffic and i will happily let people in. But no its mostly BMWs or other german crap that thinks it can pull out and people will just stop!! I wont let them out and will sometimes move to left of road to force them to reverse :cool: Usually im the only car on the road so they can wait 5 seconds until im past.
    (Original post by Tuppenny)
    Annoying = idiots with full beams who tailgate me on the way home from work, even though I'm one of the faster drivers on that road. All it achieves is making me slow down to annoy them more.
    Thats what rear fog lights are for!! pisses them off getting blinded by your rear fogs close up.

Also lightly tap the brake pedal enough to activate brake light switch.

Oncoming cars with fogs/main beam who refuse to dip just get revenge blinded with my main beams. If ive been blinded by poorley adjusted main beam HID lights that the inconsiderate arse has refused to adjust/dip, then i dont see why only i should crash off road. Might as well take the ******* with you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    Of course they think they are better than everyone else which is exactly why they are doing it!!

The solution is never let them in EVER. Same with que jumpers

Oh and give way line "crawlers" who think crawling over give way lines at 1mph to force you to stop!! I never let them in!! I can understand if its queing traffic and i will happily let people in. But no its mostly BMWs or other german crap that thinks it can pull out and people will just stop!! I wont let them out and will sometimes move to left of road to force them to reverse :cool: Usually im the only car on the road so they can wait 5 seconds until im past.

Thats what rear fog lights are for!! pisses them off getting blinded by your rear fogs close up.

Also lightly tap the brake pedal enough to activate brake light switch.

Oncoming cars with fogs/main beam who refuse to dip just get revenge blinded with my main beams. If ive been blinded by poorley adjusted main beam HID lights that the inconsiderate arse has refused to adjust/dip, then i dont see why only i should crash off road. Might as well take the ******* with you!!

I've actually done this. Temporary 30 zone on a 50 dual carriageway, stupid ***** behind me wanted to go faster but didn't want to over take so tailgated me! The dual carriageway was deserted too!

She wasn't paying attention while tailgating me, so I kept my right foot on the gas, and braked with my left foot. When she looked back in front of her and saw my brake lights her nose dipped as she braked heavily. She overtook after that, but I gave her a blast from the horn!

Simple joys eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R. Murray)
    I've actually done this. Temporary 30 zone on a 50 dual carriageway, stupid ***** behind me wanted to go faster but didn't want to over take so tailgated me! The dual carriageway was deserted too!

She wasn't paying attention while tailgating me, so I kept my right foot on the gas, and braked with my left foot. When she looked back in front of her and saw my brake lights her nose dipped as she braked heavily. She overtook after that, but I gave her a blast from the horn!

Simple joys eh?
    Haha, Must remember to do this next time some arse is tailgating me!

Seriously though, driving home last night which is around a 10 mile drive, I must have seen at least 70 cars with fog lights on; ranging from the little circular fog lights below the main headlights to land rovers with full beam turned on - It drives me insane how these people are totally oblivious..... they must know that there flicking an extra switch? or wonder why people are being wiped out on the other side of the road by your lights! - Honestly, some people are just mentally incapacitated when driving.

Take for instance this 'chav' who pulled up behind the car next to me last night in a old Clio; with a H-U-G-E spoiler, tinted windows, 'body kit' and one of them stupid annoying loud exhausts, starts revving his engine at the lights - everyone is looking at him like hes an idiot but he's still doing it, revving it up and down until you hear this *SNAP!* sound (I presume the handbrake cable snapped), he then starts hurtling towards the car in front of him (A Bently) and crashes into the back of it! - what a complete idiot, I hope he is forced to pay for the damage to the Bently and gets banned from driving for being so negligent. - these types of people get on my nerves more than anything, in crap little cars thinking they are driving racing cars or something!

Really does drive me round the bend (no pun intended) :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DanielNewton)
    Haha, Must remember to do this next time some arse is tailgating me!

Seriously though, driving home last night which is around a 10 mile drive, I must have seen at least 70 cars with fog lights on; ranging from the little circular fog lights below the main headlights to land rovers with full beam turned on - It drives me insane how these people are totally oblivious..... they must know that there flicking an extra switch? or wonder why people are being wiped out on the other side of the road by your lights! - Honestly, some people are just mentally incapacitated when driving.

Take for instance this 'chav' who pulled up behind the car next to me last night in a old Clio; with a H-U-G-E spoiler, tinted windows, 'body kit' and one of them stupid annoying loud exhausts, starts revving his engine at the lights - everyone is looking at him like hes an idiot but he's still doing it, revving it up and down until you hear this *SNAP!* sound (I presume the handbrake cable snapped), he then starts hurtling towards the car in front of him (A Bently) and crashes into the back of it! - what a complete idiot, I hope he is forced to pay for the damage to the Bently and gets banned from driving for being so negligent. - these types of people get on my nerves more than anything, in crap little cars thinking they are driving racing cars or something!

Really does drive me round the bend (no pun intended) :mad:
    Ignorant comment about 4x4s there :rolleyes: Believe me if I left my full beams on with you coming the other way your retinas would have dissolved by the time I'd gotten past you. However my dipped beams penetrate about 6 feet in front of me Even in a lifted Land Rover I still get blinded by other's 'dipped' headlights and won't think twice about giving someone a blast of my full beam if their dipped lights are dazzling me. Seriously, it's not a good idea to blind the driver of a 2.5t 4x4 with steering that likes to wander all over the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Ignorant comment about 4x4s there :rolleyes: Believe me if I left my full beams on with you coming the other way your retinas would have dissolved by the time I'd gotten past you. However my dipped beams penetrate about 6 feet in front of me Even in a lifted Land Rover I still get blinded by other's 'dipped' headlights and won't think twice about giving someone a blast of my full beam if their dipped lights are dazzling me. Seriously, it's not a good idea to blind the driver of a 2.5t 4x4 with steering that likes to wander all over the road.
    I'm struggling to see how having two drivers blinded is any safer than having one blinded and one being able to see.

If the person has their lights dipped and set properly and you're still blinded then why should you blind them.

And in all fairness, the 4x4s are higher up so should actually be very aware of their lights and the effects on other road users. This often doesn't happen and so I can see where DanielNewton is coming from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nuffles)
    Is that because it's so slow?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.