Turn on thread page Beta

Help needed- hopeless at make up! watch

ReputationRep:
    OK so I've never really been all that girly, but this is not out of choice. I love clothes, I love fashion and hair styles and make up but I have serious issues. No matter how hard I try I seem simply unable to do make up. When I do mascara, my eyelashes never look as long or as thick a everyone elses, just maybe a bit darker. And by the end of the day I have panda eyes, despite not doing anything that would cause it to smudge! Attempts at liquid eyeliner are useless- I just end up with a wiggle across the top of my eye. And eye shadow just looks a mess.

It really aggravates me because it makes me feel like I can't wear nice clothes etc, beause the rest of me just looks so ungirly (my hair isnt that great either because styling it is also lost on me).

I don't really know what I expect people to say/do, maybe just some general advice? It's just SO infuriating.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm the same with eyeshadow- I just can't get it to look good ... The secret to liquid eyeliner is practice When you use mascara use a water proof one and using an eyelash comb can make them look better too. I personally think Bourjois Volume Clubbing mascara is very good and it make my eyelashes very long.

ReputationRep:
    Go to a large department store on a weekday morning and get your make-up done at a counter! It'll be fairly quiet and the assistants will be bored so they'll love to do you up.

Just tell them what kind of look your going for. Nothing over the top, just something to enhance your best qualities.

You don't have to buy anything (although expensive foundations do tend to be the best ones so consider that) but ask her to tell you exactly what she's doing step by step. PM me if you want any recommendations for make-up and skin care, but it's more about how you use it rather than what you use.

Try MAC, stila, Laura Mercier, NARS, Bobbi Brown or Clinique.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Practice makes perfect

When I was first learning how to put make-up on properly (at the age of 18, no less!), I used to sit in front of the mirror for hours trying to do it (yes, it was to impress a guy!).

ReputationRep:
    I have that problem!
    But i don't get that down about it...
    Make panda eyes your look, I do!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Foundation isn't really a problem, because my skin has quite an even tone, I don't tend to get spots etc.
    My main problem is I get quite dark bags under my eyes (seemingly no matter how much I sleep!) would foundation be the best way to sort this out?

It seems I have a lot of money to spend- my make up bag consists of some mascara that I think I must have got about 4 years ago, a few different colours of eyeshadow, some pencil eye liner and some lip gloss. I have no eyelash combs or curlers, no make up brushes- is this where I may be going wrong?

But I like the idea of getting my make up done by someone else first...

Can anyone recommend the best types of smudge proof mascara, and maybe pencil eyeliner that you don't have to redo after wearing it for about 5 minutes? Mine just seems to come off.

ReputationRep:
    1. Have you tried curling your lashes before applying mascara?

2. Pencil is probably better than liquid eyeliner for beginners.

3. There are plenty of make-up tutorials on youtube. Have a look at some. Really helpful, especially with your eyeshadow troubles.

My God, I don't know why I gave serious advice on make-up. But I kind of relate - I've never had anyone to tell me how to use make-up - but when I was a younger, more depressed me I would do elaborate, arty things with it on my face, and I kind of got the general knack of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DizzyWeasel)
    Foundation isn't really a problem, because my skin has quite an even tone, I don't tend to get spots etc.
    My main problem is I get quite dark bags under my eyes (seemingly no matter how much I sleep!) would foundation be the best way to sort this out?
    No, some kind of liquid concealer would be best.

Use the search function on TSR to find reccommended ones.

ReputationRep:
    You want a light reflecting concealer. Try Collection 2000 or L'Oreal.

It seems I have a lot of money to spend- my make up bag consists of some mascara that I think I must have got about 4 years ago, a few different colours of eyeshadow, some pencil eye liner and some lip gloss. I have no eyelash combs or curlers, no make up brushes- is this where I may be going wrong?
    Ahhh get rid of that mascara! You're supposed to change them every 6 months even if you don't use it. You could get some nasty eye infection. Buy make-up brushes from http://www.eyeslipsface.com They're cheap and amazing.

Can anyone recommend the best types of smudge proof mascara, and maybe pencil eyeliner that you don't have to redo after wearing it for about 5 minutes? Mine just seems to come off.
    Mascara.. well never touch your face after you apply make-up. And try dusting some loose powder on your eyes after you apply under eye conealer and before eyeshadow, eyeliner and mascara. My favourite mascaras are: Rimmel Volume Flash and Max Factor Masterpiece Max. Maybelline do some good mascaras too.

When you buy an eye pencil find one that's quite soft and smudgy with a good pigment. GOSH do very good eye pencils in a wide range of colours.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to gatecrash your thread OP but I have a trouble with eye liner. I really love the way eyeliner enhances my eyes but for some reason it always sort of "slips down" leaving me with black smudges underneath my eyes all day. It's very annoying- and my eyeliner isn't really cheap but it always always happens. Can anyone recommend me an eyeliner/ a way of using the eyeliner that will mean I can put some on in the morning and still have it on a few hours later with no smudging? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cezmerelda)
    Sorry to gatecrash your thread OP but I have a trouble with eye liner. I really love the way eyeliner enhances my eyes but for some reason it always sort of "slips down" leaving me with black smudges underneath my eyes all day.
    Is this eyeliner a kohl pencil? It does that with me too - but wiping it off, adding a touch of powder and re-applying is what I tend to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    Is this eyeliner a kohl pencil? It does that with me too - but wiping it off, adding a touch of powder and re-applying is what I tend to do.
    Yes that's what I do too but it's really annoying- I'll go to a lecture for example and by the time I come back it's slipped! I want it to last just a little bit longer!

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's what I do too but it's really annoying- I'll go to a lecture for example and by the time I come back it's slipped! I want it to last just a little bit longer!
    That's why I use liquid liner as it doesn't budge as easily; especially my Dior one, though Rimmel is ok most of the time.
    For underneath my eyes, I apply a thin line of liquid liner then smudge it in a controlled way with a kohl pencil over the top so that it's not a 'hard' line underneath. That keeps better

ReputationRep:
    Try YSL's touche eclat for under your eyes, have a quick internet search for reviews and you'll see why. I don't use it but my friends swear by it, it is a miracle worker!

As for eyeliner, try mac's waterproof pencil liner as pencil is easier to apply than liquid. If your feeling brave try a gel liner from mac or bobby brown, they really stay in place but are harder to apply.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/MakeupGeekTV

Yes i know its american so it wont tell you what might be the best brand on the uk market, but it does generally give you a good idea about how to build up the make up, how to avoid smudges and how to get better hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    Getonto youtube, there are millions of videos showing you what to do for each look/type of makeup.

ReputationRep:
    You should try a gel eyeliner. I find they stay the best and are a bit less fiddly to apply than liquid. They have the consistency and smudginess of a pencil but the staying power and pigment of a liquid.

http://www.maccosmetics.co.uk/produc...T_ID=PROD66211

and you need one of these brushes:

http://eyeslipsface.co.uk/product~prodID~143.htm

ReputationRep:
    Also, where should I use liquid and pencil eye liner? Is liquid for above the upper eyelashes, and pencil for above the lower ones?

I apologise if this is the stupidest question ever!

ReputationRep:
    Also, where should I use liquid and pencil eye liner? Is liquid for above the upper eyelashes, and pencil for above the lower ones?

I apologise if this is the stupidest question ever!
    Its however you want to apply it really. I use liquid above the upper lashes, and a mixture of liquid/pencil underneath my lower eyelashes
    The only thing I put above my lower eyelashes is white pencil liner, to make my eyes look bigger.

ReputationRep:

But I like the idea of getting my make up done by someone else first...

All the professional people will tell you to use concealer, but I have a different solution!
    Basically I had the same problem as you, dark circles under my eyes! But then I went to Estee Lauder in Debenhams, to find a foundation that matches my tone. When she found me a perfect foundation colour, I bought it! Now I use it under my eyes and on my nose (sometimes my nose gets red!) for day to day use! Now I look like I don't have dark circles at all! Its a very natural look! I guess you don't need to splash out on expensive foundation, I liked Maybelline, but I wanted a professionals opinion on colours, so I went to Estee Lauder.
    To apply the foundation, I place a little dot of foundation on my palm, then dot the foundation with my index finger under my eyes. I then use my foundation brush (you can use your finger if you like!) and blend it in outwards, i.e. away from your nose, in smooth even strokes!
    I hope once you do this you will look beautiful!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 25, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.