Turn on thread page Beta

Help needed- hopeless at make up! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DizzyWeasel)
    Foundation isn't really a problem, because my skin has quite an even tone, I don't tend to get spots etc.
    My main problem is I get quite dark bags under my eyes (seemingly no matter how much I sleep!) would foundation be the best way to sort this out?

It seems I have a lot of money to spend- my make up bag consists of some mascara that I think I must have got about 4 years ago, a few different colours of eyeshadow, some pencil eye liner and some lip gloss. I have no eyelash combs or curlers, no make up brushes- is this where I may be going wrong?

But I like the idea of getting my make up done by someone else first...

Can anyone recommend the best types of smudge proof mascara, and maybe pencil eyeliner that you don't have to redo after wearing it for about 5 minutes? Mine just seems to come off.
    Undereye circles

Primer - smooth out fine lines
    Correct- yellow based/orange colour corrector
    Brightening Agent- Eyeko/ YSL tocuhe Eclat
    Concealer- 2 shades lighter than your foundation
    Finish- dust with translucent powder

Eyebags vanished

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    A powder brush is for applying powder to your whole face, over foundation or just by itself to either "set" your foundation so it doesn't come off your face or to mattify your skin so it doesn't look so shiny. I use a Rimmel powder, they have a really good range of shades.

I use my powder brush for my blusher as well, to blend it in a bit better, but you can also use a blusher brush, which is smaller than a powder brush.

You need different eyeshadow brushes of different sizes because different parts of your eye are different sizes. To apply eyeshadow to the whole of your lid, you'd probably use a C brush (so called because it looks like the letter C) or an eyeshadow brush or a colour brush. They're all the same thing. Look like this:

To apply eyeshadow to the crease of your eye, you need a smaller brush because that part of your eye is quite a bit smaller and requires more precision. You normally get contour brushes or crease brushes, they're the same thing. Look like this:

See the difference in size?

A concealer brush is really small, like a lip brush. I personally don't own one because I blend concealer in with my fingers.

I like using my kabuki brush, for blending things in for the face..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    A powder brush is for applying powder to your whole face, over foundation or just by itself to either "set" your foundation so it doesn't come off your face or to mattify your skin so it doesn't look so shiny. I use a Rimmel powder, they have a really good range of shades.

I use my powder brush for my blusher as well, to blend it in a bit better, but you can also use a blusher brush, which is smaller than a powder brush.

You need different eyeshadow brushes of different sizes because different parts of your eye are different sizes. To apply eyeshadow to the whole of your lid, you'd probably use a C brush (so called because it looks like the letter C) or an eyeshadow brush or a colour brush. They're all the same thing. Look like this:

To apply eyeshadow to the crease of your eye, you need a smaller brush because that part of your eye is quite a bit smaller and requires more precision. You normally get contour brushes or crease brushes, they're the same thing. Look like this:

See the difference in size?

A concealer brush is really small, like a lip brush. I personally don't own one because I blend concealer in with my fingers.
    Thanks so much that's incredibly helpful!
    I never knew make up was this complicated. Kind of frustrating because I can't actually buy any of this stuff to try it out until I get paid...

but thanks everyone thats posted. Seems I have a lot to learn and a lot of practice to catch up on.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much that's incredibly helpful!
    I never knew make up was this complicated. Kind of frustrating because I can't actually buy any of this stuff to try it out until I get paid...

but thanks everyone thats posted. Seems I have a lot to learn and a lot of practice to catch up on.
    You're welcome. Look at loads of videos on youtube, and reviews on blogs so you don't end up buying totally the wrong stuff!

ReputationRep:
    And that is where I get confused. I didn't know half those brushes existed so I would have no idea what to use them for, or how to use them.

Quite honestly, I think I may be the only person in the history of my family to attempt to wear makeup.
    Also I have a great tip to make you have lovely smokey eyes. This works v well if your eyes are blue but basically for anyone it looks good.
    You need three colours, white (can be a bit sparkly), light blue and dark blue. You put the white on first, cover the lid, and go up further than that over the crease and blend it into the sking as you approach your brow bone. If you have highlighter youc an put a dab below the arch of your eyebrow and blend. As for width, put the white so that it goes a little bit further out from your eye towards your temple and blend, and also have some in the corner of your eye where your tear-duct is, this opens up your eye. Also put a tiny bit in a line just below your lower lashes but keep it really close to your lashes.
    Next, light blue: put this all over the lid but don't go up further than the crease. you can blend this one out towards your temple (not quite as far as the white but nearly) but don't do it in the very corner of your eye for this one, because you don't want to cover up the white. Also again put a line just below your bottom eyelashes, this is quite tricky so have wipes handy if it smudges a bit.
    The dark blue: this is to darken and pull off the effect, you want to put this in a line above your top lashes, kind of like eyeliner but a thicker line. Don't go out past your eye to the temple for this one, and again don't go into the corner of your eye.

At the end make sure you blen the colours so they run smoothly into each other, especially dark to light blue but don't just blend it so you lose the definition of the colours! You can also add some black pencil eyeliner tot he bottom and top.

I find this looks amazing when your going out, (not for college or soemthing tho its too much!) and I always get compliments: its soo easy my friend taught me on holiday!
    You can also do this with goldy colours instead of blue.

ReputationRep:
    I think Bobbi Brown does excellent books that give you a good idea of a step by step natural look. You can buy most of them on Amazon or similar I think (y)

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.