Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey i have a bit tooo many pints of milk in my fridge (panic bought last week lol) and dont want it to go to waste, is it possible to freeze?

ReputationRep:
    yeh, we freeze milk all the time at home

never ever had one burst on us. and generally we just leave it on the side overnight to defrost it. if you forget you'll just be sat infront of the microwave for quite a while

and it doesn't affect the milk at all, although while its frozen it will take on a slightly yellowy appearance

ReputationRep:
    Found this online:

Can pasteurised milk be frozen for a few weeks before use in the home?
    It should be safe to freeze milk, providing you do the following things:

•freeze it before the 'Use by' date
    •follow any freezing or thawing instructions on the label
    •defrost it in the fridge so that it doesn't get too warm – allow about 24 hours for it to thaw
    •try to use the milk within a few days of defrosting – it will go off in the same way as ordinary pasteurised milk
    When milk is frozen it expands and this can rupture the packaging. Check that the packaging is intact before you defrost it. If it has ruptured it's better not to use the milk.

Remember, freezing might affect the quality of the milk.

ReputationRep:
    yep, perfectly possible to freeze it, but be careful as to when to take it out of the freezer, because it takes a lot of time to defrost and if you try to unfreeze it with a bowl of boiling water, it just gets icky, basically, when you think you will run out of milk in like 2 days time, take the frozen stuff out

ReputationRep:
    does the fact its skimmed milk make a difference?

ReputationRep:
    I love frozen milk! Especially ice cream!
    I think you should get an ice cream maker and then make ice cream.
    If you have too much then I would be more than willing to come and give you a hand eating it all up.

YUM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    does the fact its skimmed milk make a difference?
    no it shouldnt

ReputationRep:
    You can freeze and then defrost ANY milk...I used to make milk ice cubes...scrummy with baileys

ReputationRep:
    It's a good way to economise with milk, freeze in ice making trays and use a cube or two to make a cup of tea as and when you need it.

ReputationRep:
    The ex's mum does it all the time (they live in the middle of nowhere and bulk buy). It's fine - obviously freeze it before the best before date though.

Trust your nose for whether its still alright a few days after defrosting. You'd know about it if milk was bad.

ReputationRep:
    Make an icelolly with it, I doubt it'll taste nice but you can sell it to people.:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    Make an icelolly out of the milk, I doubt it'll taste nice but you can sell it to people.:p:

thats what minimilks are there for :p: Just 30 calories each :coma:

ReputationRep:
    When I froze it turned really nasty?!? like it separated in the carton.

Maybe I did it wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Finbar21)

Maybe I did it wrong?

did you defrost it in the fridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    did you defrost it in the fridge?
    I didnt defrost it, It had formed some sort of huge lump on the surface and the bottom half looked like a bit like water.

To be fair it may have been outside its used by date.

ReputationRep:
    I didnt defrost it, It had formed some sort of huge lump on the surface and the bottom half looked like a bit like water.

eww

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perfect_Gent)
    It's a good way to economise with milk, freeze in ice making trays and use a cube or two to make a cup of tea as and when you need it.
    What an excellent idea

ReputationRep:

Maybe I did it wrong?
    No that's pefectly normal.

ReputationRep:

that sounds a bit dodgy.

generally as its defrosting, the cream part of the milk melts slightly faster than the water, so it can look slightly separated and strange. (possibly the other way round)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    No that's pefectly normal.
    Reassurance or sarcasm? Can't tell sorry

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.