Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Good day to you all, fellow comrades.

I'm looking for advice on whether I should resit an AS module based on the following circumstances:

1. I am interested in applying to MEDICINE at a prestigious University.
    2. I am anticipating a C in my first Chem unit at AS. I appear to be demonstrating the traits of a late academic bloomer.
    3. I am aiming for a neat set of A* grades.
    4. I MUST get As overall this year.
    5. I am concerned about having to declare resits and the reaction of Oxbridge.

WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST THING TO DO IN THIS SITUATION.

Thank you for your time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scientific Calculator)

I'm looking for advice on whether I should resit an AS module based on the following circumstances:

2. I am anticipating a C in my first Chem unit at AS. I appear to be demonstrating the traits of a late academic bloomer.

Thank you for your time.
    1) Ok.
    2) No one can anticipate any grade, so why don't you actually wait til you get the grade? I consider myself to be one of them but I did in GCSE.
    3) How many is a neat set? Greater than 3?
    4) Yeah you must for Oxbridge,
    5) They don't know about resits for January exams.

Work experience?

ReputationRep:

Medicine is a highly respected subject and the factor of universtity prestige should be minimal in your decision. Resit as it will strengthen your application. The rest of what you said is all talk and is to be expected of someone applying to an Oxbridge university.

You should also be thinking of UKCAT and BMAT along with work experience.

ReputationRep:

Thank you for your time.
    1) you'll be flamed for saying that. to summarise in advance, go where you want to go - not where you feel like you have to.

2) seriously, forget whatever you think you'll get. the only time you should consider resits or what you've got it when you actually have them in march/august. until then forget about it, make that decision when you have to. there are far more important things for you to be concerned by.

3) cool story, work hard then

4 & 5) know that oxford do not consider AS results as part of their formal selection process. you will not have to declare resits on you ucas form, the only place that would ever know that you resat something if if you apply to the university of cambridge, where you'd have to put all of you exam results (including the grades you got in both your original attempt and any resits) with the exact ums. other than that the only thing that appears on ucas is a grade not a score or %.

please don't become entirely fixated on attending one of those two universities, it's happened to people on this forum and tbh, it's cringeworthy to watch. if you have any further questions, i'll do my best to answer if i know (although you might want to get help from someone more experienced - 'tis up to you).

ReputationRep:
    1. Many people will tell you that there is no such thing as a 'prestigious medical school'. I think what they mean by this is that you can expect to become a doctor wherever you end up. Oxbridge are more prestigious than other universities.

2. Chemistry is perhaps the most important A level for medical applicants. Aim to get as many UMS marks as possible in your AS level. This will reduce the pressure on you for the tougher A2 modules.

3. It's always good to aim high

4. Yep

5. January modules can be resat in June with no penalty. However if you resit in June you won't have a grade to put on your UCAS form, which will raise eyebrows. Once you have an offer you can resit modules in January and June in your second year with no penalty.

ReputationRep:

Thank you for your time.
    When you screw up and fail, which is probable considering that Unit 1 is the most piss easy exam you'll ever do, it will hurt that much more if you display an attitude like that.

Medicine is Medicine. It doesn't matter where you do it.

PM me if you really want to know how to get all As in your AS Level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    PM me if you really want to know how to get all As in your AS Level.
    How intriguing...

ReputationRep:
    They won't know that you have retaken an exam if you retake it THIS SUMMER. If you retake an AS examination next year, then, I believe that Cambridge will know about it.

Oxford still won't know either way. You don't have much to worry about tbh. And ye, I agree with what others have said about medical schools etc, good luck ~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    How intriguing...
    Sekret.

ReputationRep:

Thank you for your time.

If it's anything below an A, then definately resit. If it's anything below 90% (on resit or first sitting) consider certain univeristy beginning with the letter O not C.

ReputationRep:
    Just do your best this time around, and if it doesn't go as well as you hoped, consider retaking..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper

Thank you for your time.

:facepalm:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 24, 2010

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.