The Student Room Group

ba film production. what uni?

Ok, so I'm in college at the moment. This september I want to go uni.
I've applied for:

Derby uni: video and film production (invited for interview)
Uca: film production (invited for interview)
Arts uni bournemouth (rejected me)
falmouth uni: ba film
Southampton solent: ba film (conditional offer)

Bournemouth was my 1st choice now they rejected me, I don't know which 1 to go 4.

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated

Scroll to see replies

I've applied for Falmouth and Solent doing ba film
Reply 2
My brother is at Southampton Solent doing BA Film. He really likes it there and thinks the course is really good, it was his first choice. I've looked at the course content and it all seems pretty good to me but I haven't looked at the other options.
Reply 3
WonderlustKing
I've applied for Falmouth and Solent doing ba film

I c. I mean when I went derby it looked really good so not sure. Solent didn't even invite 4 an interview and I got a offer, I'm wondering if the standards r high
shazzerd
I c. I mean when I went derby it looked really good so not sure. Solent didn't even invite 4 an interview and I got a offer, I'm wondering if the standards r high

Solent doesn't have the best of reputations but ive been to open day and that and I was really impressed with it, going to an applicants open day next month aswell, got offered a conditional yesterday :smile:. My tutor went to falmouth and said that it is really good down there too so I', going down at half term I think. You been to any open days at these places yet?
Reply 5
kamc
My brother is at Southampton Solent doing BA Film. He really likes it there and thinks the course is really good, it was his first choice. I've looked at the course content and it all seems pretty good to me but I haven't looked at the other options.

Do u know if its more production orientated or theory based. Cause I mean I'm looking for about 75% production and 25% theory.
Reply 6
WonderlustKing
Solent doesn't have the best of reputations but ive been to open day and that and I was really impressed with it, going to an applicants open day next month aswell, got offered a conditional yesterday :smile:. My tutor went to falmouth and said that it is really good down there too so I', going down at half term I think. You been to any open days at these places yet?

I'm going to solent next month for an open day, 24th of feb. So I'll c how it is. I think the main thing is that derby really attracted me cause they work with 16mm film cameras and the RED cameras I think which r being used more nowadays. N uca hav 16mm cameras. I need 2 c if falmouth and solent have these resources
Reply 7
shazzerd
Do u know if its more production orientated or theory based. Cause I mean I'm looking for about 75% production and 25% theory.

Well I think its not strictly film production it also has elements of film studies and directing and other areas but its seemed about 50% practical work and 50% theory from what hes told me about it.
shazzerd
I'm going to solent next month for an open day, 24th of feb. So I'll c how it is. I think the main thing is that derby really attracted me cause they work with 16mm film cameras and the RED cameras I think which r being used more nowadays. N uca hav 16mm cameras. I need 2 c if falmouth and solent have these resources

Not sure about Falmouth yet but Solent have 16mm equipment
Reply 9
kamc
Well I think its not strictly film production it also has elements of film studies and directing and other areas but its seemed about 50% practical work and 50% theory from what hes told me about it.

Hmm, ok thanks a lot for the information. Much appreciated
shazzerd
I've applied for:

Bournemouth was my 1st choice now they rejected me, I don't know which 1 to go 4.

I'd suggest looking to see if any of them are Skillset Accredited, although this isn't vital, having the quality of your course monitored as well as additional funding for your course by them, is something that will help make your degree more recognised (I think at least!)

UCA is a very new university, more a coalition of colleges in my opinion. However it does appear to have quite a good Film Production course, though I am un-sure of how they are reputation wise. Derby is a decent Uni, but I'm not sure at how good it is at Film/TV/Media, perhaps look it up for yourself to be sure.

Is there any reason you applied to these 4 places out of interest, or were they the ones that were within your grade boundaries? (I realise this is ir-relevant, just curious).
Reply 11
FTstudies
I'd suggest looking to see if any of them are Skillset Accredited, although this isn't vital, having the quality of your course monitored as well as additional funding for your course by them, is something that will help make your degree more recognised (I think at least!)

UCA is a very new university, more a coalition of colleges in my opinion. However it does appear to have quite a good Film Production course, though I am un-sure of how they are reputation wise. Derby is a decent Uni, but I'm not sure at how good it is at Film/TV/Media, perhaps look it up for yourself to be sure.

Is there any reason you applied to these 4 places out of interest, or were they the ones that were within your grade boundaries? (I realise this is ir-relevant, just curious).

Well I chose these four cause I wanted to focus specifically on film production, no tv or nothing like that. So these were the four I could find and also where they based aswell. I didn't want to go far north like reading and manchester or whatever. I heard that uca didn't have good teaching or sufficient support. Derby seemed good and I enjoyed the open day. I guess I'll have to go to al of the open days.
Reply 12
shazzerd
I've applied for:

Had Bournemouth asked you for a portfolio and (after seeing it) rejected you or you wasn't asked for a portfolio either?
Reply 13
JEiKOL
Had Bournemouth asked you for a portfolio and (after seeing it) rejected you or you wasn't asked for a portfolio either?

no they just replyed sayin i wasnt ready for the course. then recommended that i should do a foundation in art and design which im not interested in doing.

JUST TO LET YOU GUYS KNOW. I WANT TO GO FILM SCHOOL AFTER UNI EITHER IN THE LONDON FILM SCHOOL OR 1 IN NEW YORK OR L.A. OR SOMETHING. SO REALLY DOES IT MATTER WHAT UNI I GO. AS LONG AS I GET A 1ST IN MA DEGREE???? WHAT DO U GUYS THINK??
Reply 14
I went for an interview to Bournemouth arts and they rejected me and suggested me for a Art and Design :|

Anyway my second choice now is UCA but I still have an interview for Newport (Skillset) so we'll see but I like UCA.
apparently it could be one to rival Bournemouth in a few years. Not sure if thats true but hey-ho. I suppose UCA looks good if you wanna go to a film school because its a dedicated to creative courses?
stelle1818
I went for an interview to Bournemouth arts and they rejected me and suggested me for a Art and Design :|

Anyway my second choice now is UCA but I still have an interview for Newport (Skillset) so we'll see but I like UCA.
apparently it could be one to rival Bournemouth in a few years. Not sure if thats true but hey-ho. I suppose UCA looks good if you wanna go to a film school because its a dedicated to creative courses?

Believe me, Bournemouth is way overrated in my opinion. There are many Uni's that offer equal quality, and often better film courses. They just aren't as good as they used to be. So I would say I think UCA can be a competitor in the future, it's just a bit too early days, since it only officially opened 2 years ago!
Reply 16

What was the interview at Bournemouth arts like? I've applied for the 4 year course, because I heard they basically don't let people in who haven't done a foundation... I'm thinking I don't really want to bother with it now.

Believe me, Bournemouth is way overrated in my opinion.

Do you mean Bournemouth arts?

I also applied for Southampton Solent... haven't managed to go to the open day yet, so has anyone else been? Impressions?
Reply 17
Wtf? I was also rejected by Arts Bournemouth and was offered a foundation in Art and Design.
How many places do they have? Hundreds? :p:

It seems that in this thread only, there are 3 of those.
Reply 18
Yeah i was offered an art and design aswel. bt f that I don't want to go bournemouth anyway. I went for an interview for UCA, n It seems like a really nice uni. I mean I guess Solent's resources and facilities are better, but I guess i'm going for a more production bound course so. I'll tell u guys one thing, the course lecturers are really nice people. :biggrin:

JEiKOL
Wtf? I was also rejected by Arts Bournemouth and was offered a foundation in Art and Design.
How many places do they have? Hundreds? :p:

It seems that in this thread only, there are 3 of those.
Reply 19

I haven't got any other offers yet (yeah, UCA is in my list too :biggrin: ) except Arts Bournemouth (foundation art and design :mad:).

Anyway, I send them an email asking if they can change the foundation diploma to a year 0 film production because I think its quite strange that they offered me such a course.

Fck, I hate repeating myself. :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending