Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Many of you will have probably heard that the current British government are trying to introduce the Digital Economy Bill, a proposal for law which will see alleged file sharers being disconnected from the internet. There is a danger that these powers will end up being very broad and affect everyone in a household regardless of who was actually doing the sharing. People are also worried about how much evidence will be required to take this draconian measure. If you care about these issues then please sign the following petition:

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/dontdisconnectus/

ReputationRep:
    1. they cant do it if your work involved the Internet in anyway i.e almost everything

2. The internet is considered a human right in most modern countries... so they cant/wont be able to do much, dont you think it would be in place by now? they have been trying do it for yearssss

ReputationRep:
    I am intrigued as to how it violates our human rights - do parking fines also volate our human rights?

EDIT: I was talking about the details on the petition itself, but may as well apply it to the above comment too!

ReputationRep:
    Signed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    I am intrigued as to how it violates our human rights - do parking fines also volate our human rights?

EDIT: I was talking about the details on the petition itself, but may as well apply it to the above comment too!

do parking fines stop you from ever moving again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flav)
    do parking fines stop you from ever moving again?
    What?

Also, I bet none of you have read the explanatory notes.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    What?

Yes I did.

Topic 2 explains the problem people have.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see the problem - you get 3 warnings before you get disconnected. Its very generous. If you shop-lift do you get 3 warnings before being arrested?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    I don't see the problem - you get 3 warnings before you get disconnected. Its very generous. If you shop-lift do you get 3 warnings before being arrested?
    The problem is it means everyone else lose their internet connection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    What?

Im not arguing that Illegal downloading is a Good thing, i know its not. im just saying getting a parking fine and having to pay is totally different to being banned from ever having internet again.

i don't really believe the internet to be a 'Human Right' its far less important than Hygiene and shelter. but getting 3 parking fines wouldn't get you banned from Driving ( even though its a lesser offence), i think resorting to a permanent ban should be the last line of defence and Fines would be a better idea with a ban for repeat offenders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    I agree. File sharing is a choice - if you choose to, why the outcry if you get caught?

If you are daft enough to fileshare without ssh'ing into an offshore server anyway, it could be seen as positively Darwinian (weeding out the incompetent). SP

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.