Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

anyone got any experience making good cocktails? Ideally I'm looking for something simple and preferably vodka based. Looking online easiest ones seem to be woo woo or sex on the beach but these seem pretty bland. Anyone know of any good ones where tesco/sainsburys stock all the ingredients?

ReputationRep:
    Well, the secret to a good cocktail is good ingredients.. which is why you shouldn't look at tesco's for your drinks.
    As for something simple and vodka based, try a white russian: Kahlua and vodka equally mixed, with milk on top. Or a black russian: same as above, but without the milk. Another is the screwdriver, which is a third vodka, rest orange juice. Or a bloody mary: two thirds tomato juice, one third vodka, spice with salt/pepper/lemon/worcester sauce. The best and simplest is probably standard vodka bull, one third or half vodka rest red bull. If you want to be more classy, use a marguerita: one part tequila, one part cointreau, two parts lime juice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mokert23)
    Hey,

anyone got any experience making good cocktails? Ideally I'm looking for something simple and preferably vodka based. Looking online easiest ones seem to be woo woo or sex on the beach but these seem pretty bland. Anyone know of any good ones where tesco/sainsburys stock all the ingredients?
    Mojito made with su.gar, white rum and mint, then topped up with sparkling water
    If it has to be vodka, why not a martini?

ReputationRep:
    Cosmopolitan (Vodka, triple sec, cranberry juice, lime)

ReputationRep:
    look here: http://www.esquire.com/drinks/drinks-full-list/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    Mojito made with su.gar, white rum and mint, then topped up with sparkling water
    If it has to be vodka, why not a martini?
    Because vodka martinis are bland and rubbish :p:

OP: It's important to note that when you're making cocktails, the quality of the outcome is a product of the quality of the ingredients and your technique. Use decent alcohol and mixers, and use exactly the quantities stated - don't estimate. If it says it should be ice cold, you make sure it's ice cold! And so on.

ReputationRep:
    i made up a great cocktail (although it may have already been done) but it's 1 shot of vodka, archers and midori mixed with pineapple and orange juice. it was yum..

i called it pip's disco.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Because vodka martinis are bland and rubbish :p:

OP: It's important to note that when you're making cocktails, the quality of the outcome is a product of the quality of the ingredients and your technique. Use decent alcohol and mixers, and use exactly the quantities stated - don't estimate. If it says it should be ice cold, you make sure it's ice cold! And so on.
    I never drink them myself but it seemed like the obvious choice. Not much of a vodka girl really, I enjoy old mad drinks (gin and tonic oh yeahhhhh)

ReputationRep:
    I never drink them myself but it seemed like the obvious choice. Not much of a vodka girl really, I enjoy old mad drinks (gin and tonic oh yeahhhhh)
    I think I love you. G&T <3

ReputationRep:
    I think I love you. G&T <3
    Oh thank god it's not just me; my friends all laugh at me and then go and drink their Malibu and diet cokes. I think G&Ts are due a comeback

ReputationRep:
    I think G&Ts are due a comeback
    seconded. Hendricks and tonic all the way! unless anyone's got some tanqueray no.10...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by splunket)
    seconded. Hendricks and tonic all the way! unless anyone's got some tanqueray no.10...
    Fevertree tonic is a necessity too! Mmmmmmm I might have to fix myself one up now actually

ReputationRep:
    Fevertree tonic is a necessity too! Mmmmmmm I might have to fix myself one up now actually
    Oh yes, Hendricks, fever tree tonic, lots of ice, couple of slices of cucumber and a touch of finely ground pepper. Makes for a fabulous G&T

ReputationRep:
    Oh yes, Hendricks, fever tree tonic, lots of ice, couple of slices of cucumber and a touch of finely ground pepper. Makes for a fabulous G&T
    Not keen on the pepper but I like the sound of the cucumber! I normally go for the traditional and awesome lime or lemon

ReputationRep:
    Not keen on the pepper but I like the sound of the cucumber! I normally go for the traditional and awesome lime or lemon
    With Hendericks, there are several peculiarities in the flavour that lend itself very well to cucumber. I was skeptical about the pepper too, but it really goes well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keziah)
    Cosmopolitan (Vodka, triple sec, cranberry juice, lime)
    This

It's my favourite, I had it for the first time the other day, gorgeous cocktail!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, a delicious vodka cocktail:

The Gatsby:

Into a cocktail shaker half filled with ice, add two measures vodka, one measure grenadine and a handful of fresh raspberries. Shake well, rough strain into a chilled champagne saucer or martini glass, and top up with chilled champagne.

ReputationRep:
    Raspberry mojito

YUM!

INGREDIENTS

40ml White Rum
    35ml Raspberry Fruit Puree
    15ml Sugar Cane Syrup
    15-20 Mint Leaves
    1 whole lime cubed
    Top up with Soda
    Crushed Ice

GLASS
    High Ball

GARNISH
    Raspberries and Blackberries

Usually follow this site for my home recipes/cocktails! http://www.funkin.co.uk/cocktail-recipes/top-40

ReputationRep:
    http://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails.jsp

ReputationRep:
    With cocktails, the motto should be the simpler, the better. Any cocktail with more than 4 ingredients is far too effeminate for a man to drink.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.