Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    Such an arrogant and disapointing response. Do you have a problem with people who dare to challenge a point of view that is not equal to your own in a debate?
    I have a problem with people who equate specious rhetoric with argument.

Reason why I was so abrasive with my initial response to Danadd (who I'm sure is a very intelligent chap) was simply down to, what I believe, is an almost insulting comparison between two practices that have no relation to each other what so ever. I am not gay. I am also not exercising a knee jerk reaction to paedophilia. Points were considered, I thought about them, responded accordingly.

I think for myself. Sue me.
    If I attributed your bigotry to a lack of thought, I would likely be giving you the benefit of the doubt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Why not?
    I mean in the eye's of society, like homosexuality was 50 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenopus)
    It does occur in nature but I would consider it unnatural to a degree nevertheless. Mutations in genes happen in nature, such as those that make flies grow penises on their heads, out of their eye sockets, but I doubt anyone would agree that this is the natural development pattern for the fly. Mutations such as this, which impair the animals reproductive potential are not something that agree with nature, nature stops these genes being passed on via natural selection. Homosexual genes act similarly, they disrupt the normal development of the organism that has them, leading to an impairment of their ability to pass genes on .
    Everyone has a different idea of what is natural, but in my definition of what nature is (and I have a degree in biology, and am currently studying for a PhD in it, so my views are probably different to most peoples), and what is normal in it, then homosexuality is not natural. I would also class animals that were born with two heads, or had sex with children unnatural, but they still occur in nature rarely. We don't see these very often, like homosexual animals, because they are disfavoured strongly by natural selection, and are caused by loss of function or deleterious gain of function mutations.
    Maybe it's a very natural gene mutation which serves as a preventative measure for population

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjon123)
    I mean in the eye's of society, like homosexuality was 50 years ago.
    Actually, ignore me. I don't think it's natural!

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at natural moral law theory by Aquinas

ReputationRep:
    it's unnatural i guess, since it doesn't make babies and stuff. but that has nothing to do with morality whatsoever, you can't say it's wrong. is living in houses wrong because it's unnatural?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I have a problem with people who equate specious rhetoric with argument.

If I attributed your bigotry to a lack of thought, I would likely be giving you the benefit of the doubt.
    You're clearly a very very intelligent individual (no sarcasm seriously), but I would politely request you re-assess the meaning of a "bigot". Otherwise I could title you as such for your patronising/off topic responses.

Also you may stop spamming this thread, I've made a more relevant one where I am MORE than happy to discuss with you your thought's on the subject of paedophillia. I feel you actually could enlighten me in a few areas and hopefully we resolve our differences. Genuinely so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jemmmy)
    Have a look at natural moral law theory by Aquinas
    Somebody does RS:p:

Yeah its all to do with the precepts and reproduction being one of the 5 primary precepts..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ormaybeitsjustnarcissism)
    If anyone posts that 'It's Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve LOL' crap I will hunt you down :mad:
    Ok then...

It was Romeo and Juliet not Romeo and Julio

Spoiler:
    Show
    joke :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by near_comatose)
    WTF you're 22? I honestly expected you to be <16. Can't tell if serious.
    i hope your not trying to chat me up.. it doesnt suprise me you like them young, i dont roll like that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    I don't believe that. I refuse to Google it either. :yy:
    Thanks, just goes to show my level of general knowledge :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greens)
    Interestingly, Africa is the most homophobic continent in the world and the poorest. The Western world, on the other hand, is the wealthiest and offers, by and large, equal rights to gay people. Go figure.
    Remind me to rep you. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamrules247)
    You are a hypocrite because you went off on that little tangent about me being a key board warrior, when you want to fight fascism by changing your flag to that of a group of soldiers most of whom are long dead, making you the keyboard warrior.

Yes it is helping Britain. I also intend to join the forces after leaving Uni, which is most certainly helping. What have you done to help??

i didnt say that i was fighting facism by using the flag of the international brigades, i said that i was expressing a wish to fight facism

i've abided by the laws of this country and will be contributing towards its scientific advancement after i leave uni - not that i have ever made any claims about dong anything to help this country (i'm more interested in helping the world tbh)

how is joining the armed forces helping? we're not under threat of invasion.....you'll get payed, you'll get bed and board, the option to undertake training towards pretty much any qualification you wish for free

if you want to help this country, join the fire service, or become a doctor

don't sit on TSR all night picking fights based on the flag next to my username when political ideology and public service isn't even what the thread is about

i mean srsly, why did you start this? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I just realised I myself did not answer the question as I was sidetracked by homophobic spammers, people who have taken homosexuality from the wrong context & an antagonistic, waffling, big swinging ****. :rolleyes:

The question itself is dependant on what background the individual comes from, their circumstances and their beliefs. The answer is subjective;

If you are religious, you will find it unnatural and have a bigotted view of it.
    If you are born straight, then ditto the above, possibly minus the biggotry.
    If you are born gay, it is as natural as day follows night. Simple as that.

You can't just say gay is natural or not full stop, because it's not as clear cut as that. Several variables have to be taken into consideration first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    i didnt say that i was fighting facism by using the flag of the international brigades, i said that i was expressing a wish to fight facism

i've abided by the laws of this country and will be contributing towards its scientific advancement after i leave uni - not that i have ever made any claims about dong anything to help this country (i'm more interested in helping the world tbh)

how is joining the armed forces helping? we're not under threat of invasion.....you'll get payed, you'll get bed and board, the option to undertake training towards pretty much any qualification you wish for free

if you want to help this country, join the fire service, or become a doctor

don't sit on TSR all night picking fights based on the flag next to my username when political ideology and public service isn't even what the thread is about

i mean srsly, why did you start this? :confused:
    I said "saying you want to fight fascism" you said "expressing a wish to fight fascism". They mean exactly the same thing.

The army does plenty of jobs other than just military ones. For example building the new bridges after those floods. Newsflash genius, Firefighters get paid, so do coppers and so do doctors. Serving your country as a member of the Forces is the finest thing you can possibly do. Far better than "scientific research". But this thread isn't the place for it.

I started this because I think it is completely wrong of you to use the flag of the International Brigades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greens)
    Alright, I see what you mean. Although, I remember reading an article which delineated the findings of a study conducted by Italian researchers which found that there are evolutionary benefits to homosexuality. Having said that, however, more research probably needs to be done. Though, thinking about it, I doubt we would have to justify these harmless gay feelings if it were not for religious bigots.
    was it the same arguement as this?

He says in times of resource shortage social groups benefit by having a proportion of homosexual members who contribute to the group but dont demand resources to bring up their own offsprings.

So the homosexuals help their genes survive through assisting their siblings to procreate i.e if I give birth to ten children they have a better chance of survival if I've got one gay in there to help out the rest of them.

Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    have scientists actually isolated a gene for gayness?

ReputationRep:
    Thread closed. It *may* be opened again after I've tidied it up where necessary.

Edit: Re-opened. Keep the discussion civil or the thread will be closed and/or removed permanently.

ReputationRep:
    I think the underlying question here is

Why is nature perceived as good?

People's sense of self-preservation has led them to generalise their attitudes to everything else, especially nature and god. People don't want to be killed, so god says don't kill; people don't want to be cheated on, so god says don't commit adultery; people like meat, so nature says it's ok killing animals for it.

Nature is both disgusting and wonderful, although most of the time it's pretty normal. Another dillema is that of artificial things being part of nature, therefore being natural.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    If the point of sexual relationships is to procreate, then is it unnatural for an infertile heterosexual couple to have sex? Just a thought.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.