Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If society says abortion is a normal part of life, then women will be guilt free? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    im one of these 'i dont want a kid so im not having sex' people

fact is i do not trust something thats not 100% exepcially when it comes to something big like being pregnant, if it were to happen it would ruin my life, theres no way i would have it, i would have it aborted without a second thought but i know i would lose my bf as he wouldnt want me to get rid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    As you yourself admit it is entirely a grey area. If the fact that someone was ever conscious plays a role in whether or not they should be taken off life support for their reliance on others, then surely you are all for abortion upto 8 months 3 weeks 6 days?
    It's not an entirely grey area. Any embryology textbook would give you a pretty good timeline of organ maturation etc., and roughly (but not that roughly) when the foetus could survive on its own.

No, because the person was alive before they were in a coma. An embryo and subsequent foetus isn't alive. Or at least not in anywhere near the same way. It's a different kettle of fish.

Afterall the child was never conscious as we know it. I do agree it is a grey area, but I can't find the point at which it becomes wrong, so it is better to be safe than sorry and just not do it. I don't think lungs have anything to do it, nor does 'tissue differentiation'.
    For me, at around 26 weeks it becomes wrong, because after that point, the foetus no longer needs to be a parasite, it could live in its own without the mother.

Of course the lungs and tissue differentiation have something to do with it. Bit difficult to live without your lungs or the correct tissues making up your anatomy.

It is just another case of societies morality bending towards what it wants to do rather than what it should do.
    Actually, in most (Western) societies, I think it's a pretty fair balance of the two when it comes to this issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    im one of these 'i dont want a kid so im not having sex' people

fact is i do not trust something thats not 100% exepcially when it comes to something big like being pregnant, if it were to happen it would ruin my life, theres no way i would have it, i would have it aborted without a second thought but i know i would lose my bf as he wouldnt want me to get rid
    So he wants children and you don't? Or he's pro-life and you're pro-choice? Either way, isn't that going to be a divisive issue sooner or later?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    So he wants children and you don't? Or he's pro-life and you're pro-choice? Either way, isn't that going to be a divisive issue sooner or later?
    he doesnt want kids as in hes planning for them but he 'wouldnt mind' and it would be 'ok' IF it ever did happen

he agrees with abortion but he wouldnt want his gf having one

ReputationRep:
    he agrees with abortion but he wouldnt want his gf having one
    How exactly is that agreeing with abortion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kinkerz)
    How exactly is that agreeing with abortion?

because he doesnt think its wrong for other people he just wouldnt want his gf getting rid of his child

ReputationRep:
    because he doesnt think its wrong for other people he just wouldnt want his gf getting rid of his child
    That doesn't really answer my question. You can't agree with something in principle but disagree with it when it gets personal. Or at least you can't in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't really answer my question. You can't agree with something in principle but disagree with it when it gets personal. Or at least you can't in my opinion.
    well take that up with him lol personally i think hes a hypocritical fool

he knows fine well we couldnt manage with a baby so to deny me an abortion if it ever did happen would be stupid

ReputationRep:
    well take that up with him lol personally i think hes a hypocritical fool
    Kind of what I was getting at :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Kind of what I was getting at :tongue:

haha i know

ReputationRep:
    haha i know
    Many people are like that.

For example:
    The Pro-War people are not all willing to enlist or would allow their children to do so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Many people are like that.

For example:
    The Pro-War people are not all willing to enlist or would allow their children to do so.
    its silly but then i think everyone can be a little hypocritical sometimes

ReputationRep:
    its silly but then i think everyone can be a little hypocritical sometimes
    Doesn't make it alright!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Haeron)
    Doesn't make it alright!
    defo not, like i say i think its silly

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think any *sane* woman who has an abortion can walk-away completely guilt-free. I know that if I had one, it would come back to haunt me and probably cause me to have a mental breakdown. I'm still pro-choice though - I just probably won't ever have an abortion. And that doesn't make me hypocritical - I am not pro-abortion. I just feel that people should have the right to choose.

I think in-built morals would also hinder feeling guilt-free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Accalia)
    No, I don't think any *sane* woman who has an abortion can walk-away completely guilt-free. I know that if I had one, it would come back to haunt me and probably cause me to have a mental breakdown. I'm still pro-choice though - I just probably won't ever have an abortion. And that doesn't make me hypocritical - I am not pro-abortion. I just feel that people should have the right to choose.

I think in-built morals would also hinder feeling guilt-free.
    This is something many pro-lifers seem to miss. Only the groundstone of the pro-choice standpoint. Nothing major, of course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slazenger)
    Wrong.
    Evidence? And do you actually study biology as well?

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.