Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If society says abortion is a normal part of life, then women will be guilt free? watch

ReputationRep:
    "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born. -- Ronald Reagan"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelephant)
    Considering my prediction of my reaction should I ever be in this situation, I should think I'd be far more guilty about getting rid of someone who should technically be alive in the world, than whether other people think it was right or not. Even if it was totally accepted as normal in society I wouldn't feel good about doing it.
    Should they be in the world any more than the people we prevent existing with contraception?

(Original post by Yuppie20)
    "I've noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born. -- Ronald Reagan"
    So has everyone for contraception :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes abortions are necessary for medical issue and social issues in the case of rape for instance. Beyond that, I find it hard for than women can live with themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yuppie20)
    Why would she risk getting pregnant then?

And out of decency and from a good nature.

Don't go taking liberties that were never meant to be yours.
    So people who don't want babies should abstain from sex?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    Should they be in the world any more than the people we prevent existing with contraception?

So has everyone for contraception :eek:
    We don't prevent people from being concieved more then we kill people by driving a car. If you don't get my logic don't bother.

ReputationRep:
    “The more a man's life is shaped by the collective norm, the greater is his individual immorality” - C.G. Jung.

No, doing something that people find acceptable does not mean that you are doing something morally right. If you go against your own morals, even if you are not going against the morals of society, then you will still feel guilt.
    I don't know if abortion can be equated to murder. I always believed that a fundamental part of being human was having consciousness, it is what separates us from the beasts. Unborn babies, like animals, are ruled by their unconscious, and remain that way until they gradually become conscious over a period of several years beginning after two or three years. For this reason I would not class a foetus as being a human being, with the same rights that being conscious should give. For this reason I would say it is not murder.
    Nevertheless, despite it not being what I would call murder, I think it is an immoral act to commit. People need to take responsibility for their actions. If they are going to have careless sex then they should only do so if willing to pay the price, and raise the child that is conceived. In the event of rape, I would say that an abortion is more justified, and would not myself feel in a position to condemn someone who had an abortion for that reason. If I was in that position though, I know I would not be able to deal with the guilt.
    The destruction, and production of embryos with no intention of them ever being born, has become widely common with the spread of IVF, in vitro fertilisation. This is akin to abortion, happening on a systematised, whole scale level, and anyone against abortion would do well to realise this. I think IVF is equally as bad as abortion, just as unnatural, and done out of just as much selfishness of the parents. It results in many more fertilised embryos being made, most of which will languish in a test tube somewhere and never live to see the light of day.

ReputationRep:
    I think getting an abortion is fair to easy in the UK and too many young people just think "oh well if i/she gets pregnant just have an abortion."
    The system needs to be more regulated.
    I agree abortions need to be avalible but with much stricter rules.
    Also abortions at 24 weeks is sick in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I think getting an abortion is fair to easy in the UK and too many young people just think "oh well if i/she gets pregnant just have an abortion."

I would like to say this is just my opinion so don't have a go at me for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    So people who don't want babies should abstain from sex?
    Yes :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Abortion is basically legalised infantacide. A woman who chooses this should have a forced hysterectomy. There are many women who cannot have children yet some women have nerve to kill a child in the name of women's rights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle_McD)

I would like to say this is just my opinion so don't have a go at me for it.
    What rules would you like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    Abortion is basically legalised infantacide. A woman who chooses this should have a forced hysterectomy. There are many women who cannot have children yet some women have nerve to kill a child in the name of women's rights.
    exactly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theBOON)
    Yes :yep:
    what if someone never wants kids?

I hope you're applying this to men who don't want kids, as well as women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casse)
    Fail:
    1. Women don't have abortions "in the name of women's rights"
    2. This argument might be slightly tenable if a foetus wasn't dependent upon the mother. Until it is no longer depedent, her personal autonomy matters more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nolongerhearthemusic)
    What rules would you like?
    In a perfect world I would want abortions to be mainly reserved for women who's health/life would be in danger and in rape cases.

But in reality I think the limits of abortion to be reduced to 12 or 16 weeks definatly.

ReputationRep:
    In a perfect world I would want abortions to be mainly reserved for women who's health/life would be in danger and in rape cases.

But in reality I think the limits of abortion to be reduced to 12 or 16 weeks definatly.
    Why for rape?

ReputationRep:

What about women who don't find out they're pregnant until there more than 12-16 weeks gone? And also, you do realise that the vast majority of women who have late term abortions are those with health complications or those who have been raped?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deadly Lightshade)
    what if someone never wants kids?

I hope you're applying this to men who don't want kids, as well as women.
    Do I look like a hypocrite? Yes it's my opinion of every living organism.

ReputationRep:
    What about women who don't find out they're pregnant until there more than 12-16 weeks gone? And also, you do realise that the vast majority of women who have late term abortions are those with health complications or those who have been raped?
    Don't try to interfere with God's will.

ReputationRep:
    Fail:
    1. Women don't have abortions "in the name of women's rights"
    2. This argument might be slightly tenable if a foetus wasn't dependent upon the mother. Until it is no longer depedent, her personal autonomy matters more.
    You have to be joking. An abortion is basically a form of murder. That foetus will turn into a full human and therefore killing it is hideous. It has nothing to do with dependancy. I don't see how a woman can have an abortion and live with themselves afterwards. Hopefully it comes and bites them back when in 5 years they realise they are infertile.

Secondly, pro-abortion activists claim that abortion is a woman's right. It is not a right and should not be legal.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.