The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

cpj1987
For me, personally, yes. I see it as murder, and unforgivable, as I consider human life to begin at conception.
In the same way that I wouldn't have anything to do with an adult who killed another adult, I wouldn't have anything to do with an adult who killed an unborn baby.

I 100% agree with this. I believe that one of the greatest double standards in society is abortion. The fact that a mother can abort an ill baby until BIRTH is disgusting. To think that a mother can kill a disabled child a day before birth and no one bat an eyelid yet if she killed the baby straight after birth she could be on trial for murder and everyone despise her is absolutely unbelievable. The same principle goes for the 24 week viability rule. It beggars belief that some people can't see that a human foetus is ALIVE and is HUMAN therefore therefore should never be killed.
Lacewing
Intransigent thinkers who have an "abortion is always wrong even in rape" are so debating from the comfort of their arm chairs.
In both Bosnia and Rwanda, women and children as young as 11 were raped and impregnated as part of a deliberate strategy on the part of the militias to humiliate but also create a new ethnic population.
How can you tell such a child of 11 who has been so traumatised that their needs are second to that of this undeveloped foetus?

Because both are alive and human so both should therefore have the same human right to live without someone else deciding to kill them.
Reply 162
Toxic Tears
Because both are alive and human so both should therefore have the same human right to live without someone else deciding to kill them.

:ditto:
Reply 163
Toxic Tears

So sitting comfortably are we then?
cpj1987
I'm anti-abortion, and I, too, would never want to know if a friend/relative had had one. I wouldn't be able to keep the relationship going, then.

Have you ever discovered that a friend/relative has had one though? It does completely change your perspective of taht person, i'll agree with that, but to stop the relationship completly over a tiny aspect of that person seems a little drastic as who are you to say what they do with their lives. I agree with your views morally, and personally i'm anti-abortion but I don't agree with judging my friends/relatives as at the end of the day if they want to go and do that then it's on their conscience - but I don't agree with the act.
Joseph90
A woman's pregnancy as a result of rape is a horribly traumatic that she has to live with and endure. Though the fact a lot of pro-choice arguments are based on this means that it's a terrible price to pay. Allowing abortion easily may help the trauma of those women but the price payed is that will make more irresponsibility on most people's part.

We should be careful about how we use contraception and understand that sex can come with consequence that we have to accept.

I know someone who had slept with three different men within the space of a few weeks. She fell pregnant and without her boyfriend knowing she had an abortion. She was irresponsible and stupid. This makes abortion seem a casual thing. That's not right. It's also an insult to women who are raped, the abortion bill was designed to protect them from the terrible results of pregnancy as a result of rape, not for irresponsible women to have casual flings and abort.

Women who are incapable of bearing a child emotionally should have thought about this before and they should feel guilty if they have an abortion.

But why should some feel guilty and some shouldn't? Abortion is either wrong or it isn't. It's either murder or it isn't. Why should the emotionally unready one feel guilty while others who do the same thing are 'allowed' to not feel guilty? Whether a woman aborts her baby "casually" or after careful thought, the same thing happens to the baby.
Reply 166
Melting Sugar.
Have you ever discovered that a friend/relative has had one though? It does completely change your perspective of taht person, i'll agree with that, but to stop the relationship completly over a tiny aspect of that person seems a little drastic as who are you to say what they do with their lives. I agree with your views morally, and personally i'm anti-abortion but I don't agree with judging my friends/relatives as at the end of the day if they want to go and do that then it's on their conscience - but I don't agree with the act.

But they are in effect killing a child. Wouldn't it change or end the relationship if it was a child outside of the womb? (For arguments sake, lets say it was a late abortion.)
Reply 167
Lacewing

And how exactly are you in any kind of better position? I doubt you are currently typing under a straw roof in Africa. :rolleyes:
Lacewing

Not really. And what does my statement have to do about 'sitting comfortably'??
Reply 169
Aeolus
And how exactly are you in any kind of better position? I doubt you are currently typing under a straw roof in Africa. :rolleyes:

Mmmm... but

"If you are not free to choose wrongly and irresponsibly, you are not free at all."

Oh the irony/hypocrisy...
GottaLovePhysics! :)
Well accept it because it is. If you look at the minisqual number of abortions to the number of, say, tadpoles who do not survive to grow into frogs.
You will argue that human life is not comparable to tadpoles. And I would agree - However I think you need to rethink what a fetus actuly is...

A foetus is a human that is currently undergoing full development. Everything that the human will grow up to be has been determined such as hair, eye colour, personality and height.
Reply 171
Lacewing
Mmmm... but

"If you are not free to choose wrongly and irresponsibly, you are not free at all."

Oh the irony/hypocrisy...

But the woman is free to choose.However, that doesn't change the fact that she is killing a human being.

But well done for being pleased with yourself. :yy:
Reply 172
cpj1987
For me, personally, yes. I see it as murder, and unforgivable, as I consider human life to begin at conception.
In the same way that I wouldn't have anything to do with an adult who killed another adult, I wouldn't have anything to do with an adult who killed an unborn baby.

reeeaaally? so if your mum killed a rapist... ?

its never that clear cut
Slazenger
that life begins at conception.

Science SUPPORTS the fact that life begins at conception...
The zygote (fertilised cell) up through the foetal stages, are scientifically alive.
amyalisa
reeeaaally? so if your mum killed a rapist... ?

its never that clear cut

It's still murder...:s-smilie:
Walkin'Butterfly
This...y'know, people seem to think that women just pop along to a clinic all smiles and when it's done, down to the pub, forget about it.

It's the hardest decision to ever make

But that's what is hard to understand. If you don't believe abortion is murder (ending the life a developing human) then why feel guilty about it or find it difficult to do?
Reply 176
Toxic Tears
It's still murder...:s-smilie:

.... my point is : would you cut off all contact with her?
Aeolus
But the woman is free to choose.However, that doesn't change the fact that she is killing a human being.

But well done for being pleased with yourself. :yy:

Lol :smile:
Reply 178
Toxic Tears
Not really. And what does my statement have to do about 'sitting comfortably'??

:facepalm:
Reply 179
Toxic Tears
But that's what is hard to understand. If you don't believe abortion is murder (ending the life a developing human) then why feel guilty about it or find it difficult to do?

I read some really interesting article on this by a woman who had an abortion and said it was the simplist descision she ever had to make. She said she knew 100% that she didnt want a child and she wanted abortion. She made the point that so many pro-choicers are like 'yes its very very difficult' which seems to show that there is doubt over whether its the right choice for the woman/morally right - which seems counter intuitive to the pro-choice position.

Latest

Trending

Trending