Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know the topic is 'LMJU V UoL debate', but I thought I'd chip in. A couple of years ago, I was at Uni of Manchester - I had to interrupt my studies due to personal reasons. I'm due back to restart the course next week, and to be honest, I'm in two minds whether to bother turning up...

I didn't particularly enjoy it first time round, I wasn't particularly interested in the course I was taking (Archaeology & Ancient History - I would have much rather just took History, but I didn't quite get the grades). I also found the majority of people to be quite snobbish and condescending. My gut is telling me to apply to LMJU to study History, but as I originally started at Manchester Uni when the fees were fixed at £3000 approx a year, I will remain in this price bracket. Basically, I have the dilemma of deciding whether to A). Go to Manchester, which has perhaps a much greater reputation (plus I'll only pay around £9000 for the whole degree), but I'm no longer that interested in the course (and last time round most of my 'class mates' where douche bags or B) Apply late through Clearing to LJMU, do something I want to study in a place I'd much rather be studying, but pay the full tuition fees of £9000 a year, and possibly end up with a degree that has less clout with employers ......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kieran26UK)
    I know the topic is 'LMJU V UoL debate', but I thought I'd chip in. A couple of years ago, I was at Uni of Manchester - I had to interrupt my studies due to personal reasons. I'm due back to restart the course next week, and to be honest, I'm in two minds whether to bother turning up...

I didn't particularly enjoy it first time round, I wasn't particularly interested in the course I was taking (Archaeology & Ancient History - I would have much rather just took History, but I didn't quite get the grades). I also found the majority of people to be quite snobbish and condescending. My gut is telling me to apply to LMJU to study History, but as I originally started at Manchester Uni when the fees were fixed at £3000 approx a year, I will remain in this price bracket. Basically, I have the dilemma of deciding whether to A). Go to Manchester, which has perhaps a much greater reputation (plus I'll only pay around £9000 for the whole degree), but I'm no longer that interested in the course (and last time round most of my 'class mates' where douche bags or B) Apply late through Clearing to LJMU, do something I want to study in a place I'd much rather be studying, but pay the full tuition fees of £9000 a year, and possibly end up with a degree that has less clout with employers ......
    If it was Engineering or Science I would say with no hesitation, go to JMU. but in my opinion I would think that the history of the established places like Manchester might make them better for things like history, archaeology, classics etc. But I often think that with those types of courses it is more important that you just enjoy it because they don't tend to lead directly to jobs in their respective fields. I love history, and would love to do a degree in it if I had time - (I don't think I would be particularly successful though!).

ReputationRep:
    I think John Moores is a well respected university, a very good university. I'm UoL graduate and about to embark on my postgrad at UoL. I found my peers quite difficult to relate to (being a working class Midlandser studying English) and didn't really get on with a lot of them but in terms of the academic side of things, I adore UoL. I can't wait to start my postgrad. I didn't even realise there was rivalry for years tbh, until we got called poshos for being UoL one night, haha. I understand a bit more now about Russell Group and red bricks and it's always done me well to be a Russell Group undergrad (got my first job in London I think based off the fact I went to a RG uni in the North, a bit exotic!!! Mind you, those employers were rubbish!!!). I did a PGCE at Hallam recently and again was considered a bit exotic for studying at a RG uni. I think for academic subjects, your RG unis are better: humanities, classics, social sciences etc. Plenty of non-RG unis have excellent facilities, such as Hallam's business school.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.