Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Long Haired Teen)
    It's not about any one band. It's about the whole scene. If you try and elect a leading band then everyone's going to get arsey and it's competely unnessacary.

I think it's a great idea personally. Glad to see others are up for it
    This!

And I'm up for it.
    Although I might put atheist instead - keep the numbers up.
    Would be nice to see all the religious types in debate about the "sanctity of religion" and all that, though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    "Metal is my Religion.
    Judas is my Priest."

Dunno where that's from but I heard it once.

ReputationRep:
    As long as we can reach a consensus of the 10-20 commandments of metal I'm in.

:headbang:

You can't kill the metal
    The metal will live on
    Punk-Rock tried to kill the metal
    But they failed, as they were smite to the ground
    New-wave tried to kill the metal
    But they failed, as they were stricken down to the ground
    Grunge tried to kill the metal Ha,hahahahaha
    They failed, as they were thrown to the ground.....................yeaaa aaaaaaa
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As for a leading band, we'vve all got our favourites, right?
    I'd want to elect Amon Amarth or Ensiferum, but I bet 'tallica sheep fans would outvote me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batmaz)
    Are we allowed to watch it for the lulz? There really are tremendous lulz.

Also, this reminds of the Jack Black song The Metal.

Also number 5. Because that's just good sense!

I was actually going to put Pastafarian on the census, but I may have to change my mind.
    First amendment is done! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I'm pretty sure Satanism is a recognised religion. The biggest form of Satanism isn't really what you'd think. It's kind of an anti-Christianity religion but they don't actually worship the devil. It's actually a form of nature worship. Satan refers to nature in general, rather than a horny, red, beardy bloke that lives underground.
    Oh I know it's not devil worship so to speak, but it still gets a lot of Christians very riled :yep:.

OK, I'll subscribe to making Metal a religion then, I may as well make filling in a form more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    It's all about the Church of the Fonz.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    I'd want to elect Amon Amarth or Ensiferum, but I bet 'tallica sheep fans would outvote me.
    Testament, Decapitated, Bodom, Dimmu.

though I'd vote Amon too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surrealdelirium)
    This!

And I'm up for it.
    Although I might put atheist instead - keep the numbers up.
    Would be nice to see all the religious types in debate about the "sanctity of religion" and all that, though.
    Awesome

Personally i've never understood why atheism is classed as a religion.

"Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour"

If it works there'll be a debate about it lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    As long as our symbol is more forward thinking than an inverted cross and Metallica aren't the face of it, then sign me up :bl:
    agreed. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm_Unsafe.)
    Oh I know it's not devil worship so to speak, but it still gets a lot of Christians very riled :yep:.

OK, I'll subscribe to making Metal a religion then, I may as well make filling in a form more interesting.
    WOOO one more

ReputationRep:
    That's great haha, I'm in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Long Haired Teen)
    Awesome

Personally i've never understood why atheism is classed as a religion.

"Calling atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair colour"

If it works there'll be a debate about it lol.
    I agree that atheism isn't a religion, but I'm not sure I agree on the reasoning behind that. Atheism is the lack of belief in any gods, not the lack of belief in a religion. So the question is, is it possible to be religious and not believe in god? Also, is it possible to believe in god without being religious? I think the answer to both is yes.

I think atheism isn't a religion because it's not specific enough. Theism is not in itself a religion, it's a term used to describe a single aspect of belief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Testament, Decapitated, Bodom, Dimmu.

though I'd vote Amon too.
    Bodom :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psyk)
    I'm pretty sure Satanism is a recognised religion. The biggest form of Satanism isn't really what you'd think. It's kind of an anti-Christianity religion but they don't actually worship the devil. It's actually a form of nature worship. Satan refers to nature in general, rather than a horny, red, beardy bloke that lives underground.
    If you're describing LaVeyan Satanism, I wouldn't really describe it as nature worship. It pretty just concerns worshipping the individual, Satan represents this individuality. Libertarians would find an aweful lot to like in LaVeyan Satanism methinks.

You're 100% right about them not believing in God or Satan, it grates on me when it's portrayed as occultism in the media.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxgr29Pq2co

This is a suprisingly good interview with Peter Gilmore about Satanism.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manitude)
    oh dear, here where the metal elitism starts. Didn't even get past 25 posts...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Carl)
    I never said I didn't like Metallica. I just don't like the majority of their fans.
    As for superiority....I like Finntroll so I can hardly go round saying my tastes are superior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Then lets get past it. It's not about bands or sub genres. It's about Metal. Personally i think this will be good for the metal comunity as a whole. It'll help keep us united and show a strong front.

ReputationRep:
    :woo: anyone headin to any festivals this year? ive got a couple in mind,but spotted any guddens?

ReputationRep:
    Metal kinda already is a religion though isn't it? I mean people base their lives on it. it has it's own sub-culture, beliefs, styles, lifestyles. Mainstream cultutre by and large have apathy for metal and it's fans, yet 50+ years after it's inception (I know the Gothic sub-culture has been around for a few centuries) we're still here and I think getting bigger.

Only thing we really need is for the in-house back biting and elite douchebaggary to stop;

• Why do Black Metal fans hate Abigail Williams/Cradle Of Filth/any BM band which has a well produced album?
    • Why do Death metal fans hate Deathcore fans?
    • Why do fans of the big four 80's thrash bands have such apathy for more modern popular good metal bands like Trivium and Avenged Sevenfold?
    • Why the hate for "Emo's"?

We don't really need a religion, because it already is one. We just need the "elite" to stop trying to kill metal.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.