Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"Sex Workers" for the Disabled watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://www.tlc-trust.org.uk/index.php

How do you feel about this? I read about it on the Guardian website. Is it a noble aim that the disabled be freed from the chains of sexual frustration? Or is it unfair on the women who take part in such inherently unequal relationships?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard they do that in Amsterdam. Didn't click on the link though, so not sure if its the same sort of thing.

ReputationRep:
    That is bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    Seems a bit odd, but if everyone's consenting I don't see a problem :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Or is it unfair on the women who take part in such inherently unequal relationships?
    what do you mean by this?

ReputationRep:
    Supply and demand, I cant see a problem with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amirahaha)
    what do you mean by this?
    Well, sexual relationships are usually based upon mutual physical attraction at some level. It is very unlikely that the women will often be attracted to their clients; in some cases they may even be positively repelled. Is it wrong, therefore, that they sell themselves in such a way? Indeed, one could argue that money makes the bargain a more equal one, but, still, one cannot deny that the woman will often be performing acts with people that she'd prefer not to. Of course, it would be unfortunate if such clients never got any sexual attention -- but we do live in a very unfortunate world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    Supply and demand, I cant see a problem with it.
    Oh, not one of those lazy laissez types.

I'm happy to accept that you don't have a problem with, but not on the basis of supply and demand. Supply and demand could be the basis for all kind of unpleasant things; perhaps the demerits/merits of libertarianism is an issue for another thread though.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean is it unfair on the women?

Edit: Just read your reply to another guy, I don't think it's unfair on the women, they signed up to become a sex worker voluntarily knowing what they were in for, so if they want to do it, then nothing wrong/unfair about it.

ReputationRep:
    It involves free enterprise and sex....are you opposed to either of those?

ReputationRep:

I'm happy to accept that you don't have a problem with, but not on the basis of supply and demand. Supply and demand could be the basis for all kind of unpleasant things; perhaps the demerits/merits of libertarianism is an issue for another thread though.
    There are disabled people wanting sexual experience, and people willing to give it to them, I fail to see the problem with that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by southeastnigga)
    What do you mean is it unfair on the women?

Edit: Just read your reply to another guy, I don't think it's unfair on the women, they signed up to become a sex worker voluntarily knowing what they were in for, so if they want to do it, then nothing wrong/unfair about it.
    Can we assume that? Research suggests that a significant number of woman are forced into such a trade, even on such websites as this. I shouldn't imagine that it's too hard to create a profile; it's certainly not on more mainstream prostitution websites (if prostitution websites can ever be called such).

ReputationRep:

How do you feel about this? I read about it on the Guardian website. Is it a noble aim that the disabled be freed from the chains of sexual frustration? Or is it unfair on the women who take part in such inherently unequal relationships?
    I'm in support of it. They are human like us, and a part of expression humanity is via sexuality. Why should it be unfair on the women? it's two consenting adults, who have an agreement, which is safe, i see no issue in it at all. I'm a huge supporter of legal brothels aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    It involves free enterprise and sex....are you opposed to either of those?
    I can be opposed to free enterprise; much "free enterprise" is exploitative. However, perhaps we're getting onto a more general issue than I anticipated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    I'm in support of it. They are human like us, and a part of expression humanity is via sexuality. Why should it be unfair on the women? it's two consenting adults, who have an agreement, which is safe, i see no issue in it at all. I'm a huge supporter of legal brothels aswell.
    As devil's advocate, how about the argument that it can have a negative effect on the clients, having to pay hundreds of pounds merely to have their, as you say, "human" needs met? Also, just because they're getting sexual needs met doesn't mean that they'll be able to get their emotional needs met, does it?

ReputationRep:
    Well, sexual relationships are usually based upon mutual physical attraction at some level. It is very unlikely that the women will often be attracted to their clients; in some cases they may even be positively repelled. Is it wrong, therefore, that they sell themselves in such a way? Indeed, one could argue that money makes the bargain a more equal one, but, still, one cannot deny that the woman will often be performing acts with people that she'd prefer not to. Of course, it would be unfortunate if such clients never got any sexual attention -- but we do live in a very unfortunate world.
    I'm sure you could say that about prostitution generally though, not just with the disabled.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    I'm sure you could say that about prostitution generally though, not just with the disabled.
    Oh, of course. Perhaps it's more pronounced in this case -- as, sad to say, the truth of the matter is that there is likely to be less genuine attraction when the client is disabled, as much as we may like to think otherwise.

ReputationRep:

yeah but thats the same for all sex workers

ReputationRep:
    I strongly disaprove. Don't get me wrong, i feel sorry for the disabled people who arn't getting any, but i hate the idea of prostitution, women should not have to do that kind of work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    yeah but thats the same for all sex workers
    Yep, read my reply above, to the user who made the same comment.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.