Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why do you make the assumption that "sex workers" are all female and the "disabled" are all male?

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the tone of the site. It seems to imply that they care more about disabled people having sex than about trafficked sex workers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    As devil's advocate, how about the argument that it can have a negative effect on the clients, having to pay hundreds of pounds merely to have their, as you say, "human" needs met? Also, just because they're getting sexual needs met doesn't mean that they'll be able to get their emotional needs met, does it?

Why not? Those who don't have a disability do the same thing also to get their needs met, so do women..it's their money, it's their choice. They're adults and get to do what they want.

As for emotional needs, there are many dating sites set up for those who are physically impaired, and work very well. When working on vitalise i had to go to a date with my client, and he's marrying her in june!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, of course. Perhaps it's more pronounced in this case -- as, sad to say, the truth of the matter is that there is likely to be less genuine attraction when the client is disabled, as much as we may like to think otherwise.
    I don't think the difference will be that pronounced though, and in some cases it could easily be the other way around: there may well be more attraction towards someone who's deaf/blind/ has learning difficulties, but is otherwise young and reasonably attractive, than an obese and ugly 50 year old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    Why do you make the assumption that "sex workers" are all female and the "disabled" are all male?
    I noticed that myself, and stopped in my later posts. Thanks.

Of course, generally speaking, it's not a particularly bad assumption -- many more men than women do engage in such "services".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    I don't think the difference will be that pronounced though, and in some cases it could easily be the other way around: there may well be more attraction towards someone who's deaf/blind/ has learning difficulties, but is otherwise young and reasonably attractive, than an obese and ugly 50 year old.
    Well, we can't really quantify from here, but, as you say, the point applies nonetheless to "sex work" generally.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I've known people who would probably benefit more from that than a lot of things available to them.

ReputationRep:
    If it is properly controlled, reasonably priced and safe I see no reason why this cannot take place.

I do think if the disability means that sex leaves them cold and hurt then there should be a psychiatric evaluation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    I'm technically handicapped, I mean I had both my legs amputated 6 months ago... but it hasn't stopped me getting laid at all. If anything it's actually made it easier...

ReputationRep:
    As devil's advocate, how about the argument that it can have a negative effect on the clients, having to pay hundreds of pounds merely to have their, as you say, "human" needs met? Also, just because they're getting sexual needs met doesn't mean that they'll be able to get their emotional needs met, does it?
    Humans are all equal, it's not for you to condem something because you think it might make the person choosing to engage in such an activity feel bad. As they're living it and your not, i think its fair to say that you should stop worrying and get your perhaps do good ideas out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earthly)
    I strongly disaprove. Don't get me wrong, i feel sorry for the disabled people who arn't getting any, but i hate the idea of prostitution, women should not have to do that kind of work.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Why not? Those who don't have a disability do the same thing also to get their needs met, so do women..it's their money, it's their choice. They're adults and get to do what they want.

As for emotional needs, there are many dating sites set up for those who are physically impaired, and work very well. When working on vitalise i had to go to a date with my client, and he's marrying her in june!
    :yep: That's a great thing, the Internet has helped a great deal in that respect. No doubt there will be those who are just unfortunately unattractive though (disabled or otherwise) or with other issues which mean that it is very unlikely that they would be able to fulfil their emotional needs. (Indeed, that's Darwinism, crap system that it is.)

There's also a contentious ethical issue over whether certain disabled people should be willing to have children. As a moderate example, is it right, as a deaf couple, to have a child knowing that that child will also be deaf?

ReputationRep:
    Legalised prostitution is an issue I struggle with - I can see that it could improve conditions for the sex workers involved and make them safer, but I don't like the idea of legitimatising the exploitation of vulnerable women. I thought the site sounded quite patronising. I don't believe many sex workers' experiences are like they claim on the site. Not many people choose to be a sex worker; it is often out of desperation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodude888)
    I'm technically handicapped, I mean I had both my legs amputated 6 months ago... but it hasn't stopped me getting laid at all. If anything it's actually made it easier...
    :ahee:

Wait a minute, are you being serious? I don't mean to be rude, but doesn't being in a wheelchair etc. cause some problems?

EDIT: I think that's a poor "joke".

ReputationRep:
    There's also a contentious ethical issue over whether certain disabled people should be willing to have children. As a moderate example, is it right, as a deaf couple, to have a child knowing that that child will also be deaf?
    Parents or prospective parents may wish to seek out genetic counseling to determine the likelihood of a child being born with hearing loss, or to find out if the cause of hearing loss is genetic. Many couples who are hard of hearing do seek out genetic counselling, and i've known 2 families who did this and had children who could hear well and also understood sign language

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~ Mandy ~)
    I've known people who would probably benefit more from that than a lot of things available to them.
    It can be expensive though. Say £120 for an hour session. Even wives aren't generally that expensive!

ReputationRep:
    It can be expensive though. Say £120 for an hour session. Even wives aren't generally that expensive!

even though the average wedding costs 10k

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Earthly)
    I strongly disaprove. Don't get me wrong, i feel sorry for the disabled people who arn't getting any, but i hate the idea of prostitution, women should not have to do that kind of work.
    They have the choice. Unlike in the illegal sex market, it will be closly inspected if legal, therefore preventing human trafiking. It actuly will prevent women from being forced into prostitution.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    even though the average wedding costs 10k
    :eek: Yeah, wives are expensive. Not that I'd ever spend that much on a wedding though (and, luckily, I doubt I'll have to :p:).

ReputationRep:
    A quote from the website: "Sex workers help disabled people live out the fantasy of being beautiful and sexy and desirable, momentarily escaping the social stigma of their disability."

Should we be teaching people to live in a fantasy-world or should we be teaching people how to deal with reality? Or are the two not mutally exclusive?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 23, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.